FJR Windshield Removal...easy or not so easy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diverb

Reaction score
I just recently bought my 06 FJR, and now have 1600 wonderfully fun filled miles on it and was starting to look at whether the FJ could fit into my 5X8 enclosed trailer. My FZ1 use to fit and my WR450 of course fits, but the darn windshield on the FJ is about 2 inches to tall.

Is the windshield able to be taken on & off with ease? I looked at it, and it looks pretty simple, but I don’t want to mess up the electric motor that drives the windscreen up / down, after all that’s one of my favorite features of the bike. :)

Also, has anyone experienced a really sore wrist with the handlebars left in the stock position? My wrist(s) start to really ache after only 15-20mins of riding, and they have never felt this way before on any of my other bikes. I read in my owner’s manual, that the FJ has adjustable clipon’s, but they must be done by a dealer. Has anyone needed to adjust their handlebars?

Thanks for the input.

DiverB

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum.

I don't have the link readily available, but in the Technical Discussions section, there are several posts on how to remove the windshield (or you could use the search feature). It is very easy to do once you remove the plastic W cover.

Same for the handlebars, check the Technical Discussions section....

Once you figure out that there are two hex bolts that hold on the "W," it is a piece of cake. Careful with the screws that hold the shield on, since they are the softer plastic. Changed my '06 windshield in about 5 minutes total.

My Cee Bailey +2 windshield swap (from stock) was a five minute job, but my recent Cal Sci swap took longer 'cuz the bottom allen bolts didn't seat well through the (smaller?) cut-outs in the Cal Sci. Drove to Pep Boys, bought a longer 3mm allen wrench, fiddled with windshield height (half-way up seemed to work best), then finally managed to tighten the allens. Happy camper, and I love the newfound quietude of the Cal Sci Tall.

Hi Buddy,
we were all there once. A quick search of windshield in the search field (upper left corner of your screen) allowed me to find these links:

FJR '06 Bin 'O Facts

'06 Windshield Removal Thread

EXPDSGT handlebar modification some have utilized to decrease hand strain

Hope these make good reading and are of help. YMMV

And welcome :)

Addendum: Post modified as last link was corrected; it wasn't working
Thank you for the links. The windshield was pretty easy to remove.

You'll eventually read about windscreen "tuning blocks" which the Rifle Co sells to angle the windscreen a bit farther back for better wind flow. Next time you have the unit off, you can add your own using, I think, up to 3/8 thick bushings when bolting down the "W" bracket. I used some 5/16 thick plastic spacers I had kicking around but I think hex nuts can be used for spacers. The length of the bolts determines how thick the bushings can be. The bushing will go between the W brkt and the arms that attach to it.

Check the clearance in the low position, but it should be fine. Mine is an '05. The windscreen tips back noticeably further than stock and gives me more air when down and smoother air in the up position.

Ok, the new guy stuff is over.. :) Just buy a bigger trailer and be done with it! :D
Yea, but then I would feel like I need a bigger truck like an F250 with a powerstroke to pull it, and of course the bigger garage and so on, and so on! Some day I would like to get a Toy Hauler for camping when I take my dirt bike out. If only I could pick those lucky lottery numbers!

Ok, here's a windshield RE-INSTALL question: how many threads should you see exposed (behind the mount plate) on 7 the nylon mounting screws once properly tightened?

That is a question best answered by someone who either looked before removal or who has never had the shield off. Once answered, BOFs.