Getting to NAFO

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok now I have a few to check out.. I should be able to adjust my route enough to make some work

Thankyou

Okay so I'm trying to figure out how to get up to NAFO since it's really starting to come up fast! Here is one scenario. Yeah, I know the first part sucks but I want to make a beeline for Boise to visit some really special folks there that helped me after my accident. My options are to spend one night in Boise then head to Hailey and ride through the Sawtooth Mtns into Missoula and then onto Spokane to meet up with Richard, et al. The other option is to spend 2 nights in Boise and then go up 95 / Spiral Hwy which I've seen mentioned here and then into Spokane. Any suggestions on which might be a better option? So many roads, so little time!!

Also, I have a reservation in Castlegar and would like to share expenses if anyone is looking for a roommate. Probably Spokane as well. :ph34r:

If you don't want to go all the way to Missoula you could go west at Stanley and ride the Banks/ Lowman hwy(one of the best roads in the west) to Mccall and then north on 95. The Spiral Hwy only takes a few minutes depending how many times you go up and down(it is orgasmic :rolleyes: )and then on up 195 to Spokane. See you in Spokane with the rest of the troops.

Well it looks like We might be able to make this trip to nafo.

I could use a little information if anyone knows the locations of a couple of the following sites.

#1 There is a man building a castle in southeast colorado somewhere that I would like to see again.

#2 Another colorado site is a town in the mountains that reminds me of a little las vegas.

#3 I would like to be able to see a couple of waterfalls in Idaho or Eastern Washington/Oregon area that would be close walking distance from the road (preferably a nice curvy road)
Vandy,

That castle is cool but getting rickety and was never finished, I have memories as a kid visiting it in various stages of build (grew up in Colo Springs). Went back two years ago on the bike. The father died and his son took over his dad's dream. The son has had his fair share of tragedy and hardship apparently so along with that and his castle being shutdown by building code infractions, we think he may have totally lost his mind. He was screaming at the top of his lungs with a bunch of anti-government rhetoric and was making quite the spectacle of himself. It was interesting to see the castle again, but it was quite uncomfortable to see him and the castle in such a state of despair. We crawled all over that thing and it was fun for free dollars, there is a donation box out front that we slipped some cast into. Sad to see the family never got a return on their investment.

Looking forward to seeing you at NAFO and heariing about your experience at the castle if you head that way. I have some pics of that day if you're intersted. Just let me know.

Greb

Hannibal, MO to Norton, KS (motel room with an ocean view promised-- excited to be in the big city).

Next day Norton, KS to Craig, Co. (room with a view of Norton).

Craig to Idaho Falls, ID via Vernal, UT., Kemmerer & Pinedale, WY.

Idaho Falls to Challis to Missoula, MT. via back roads.

Missoula to Castlegar in a round about way, and if they let me cross the border. :unsure:

Route home depends on if I actually make it to NAFO. One step at a time. ;)

If you don't want to go all the way to Missoula you could go west at Stanley and ride the Banks/ Lowman hwy(one of the best roads in the west) to Mccall and then north on 95. The Spiral Hwy only takes a few minutes depending how many times you go up and down(it is orgasmic :rolleyes: )and then on up 195 to Spokane. See you in Spokane with the rest of the troops.
Okay, I'm considering a visit to Glacier as I have never been which means I would just meet everyone in Castlegar and forego Spokane on the trip up. Revised map here. What hwy number is the Spiral Hwy anyway?? :)

P.S. Any recommendations on where to stay at Glacier??

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I'm considering a visit to Glacier as I have never been which means I would just meet everyone in Castlegar and forego Spokane on the trip up. Revised map here. What hwy number is the Spiral Hwy anyway?? :)

P.S. Any recommendations on where to stay at Glacier??
OLD Highway 95, Babycakes! NOTE: I have an old map that shows the Lewiston Grade as Washington Highway 24, you do not want the NEW bypass road!

I had the privilege of riding this up and down twice with none other than "Pops" Niehart, for a guy that is approximately two days older than dirt Mr. D. Black was really damn quick on that road! https://classic.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Lewiston&1s=ID&1y=US&1l=46.418652&1g=-117.016663&1v=CITY&2c=Uniontown&2s=WA&2y=US&2l=46.538509&2g=-117.087242&2v=CITY

https://classic.mapquest.com/maps?city=Lewiston&state=ID&country=US&latitude=46.418652&longitude=-117.016663&geocode=CITY Tyler Honey, it is a little tricky to find. Go to downtown Lewiston at the Junction of Highways 95, 12 and 128, it is a three-way split and you cannot miss this intersection. Go West on 128 just a few miles (if I remember about two, but I am as senile as Dave is!), then turn right on to Wall Street and that is the beginning of the upward climb of The Spiral Highway. I think that Niehart threw out a used Depends right around the beginning, so that should still mark it!

https://www.fjrtech.com/wfo-8/RIDE_spiral.cfm Miss Tyler, you owe me a beer or six! I found this old thread from Hal - kaitsdad, with a written description, a map and photographs from H. Marc Lewis.

SH.jpg

SpiralHighway.gif

I usually stay in Kalispell at one of them high class places like Super 8 or Motel 6. I see you plan to do the Going to the Sun Highway. Check the NPS web site for construction info. I like to do the highway over to the East entrance, have a buffalo burger at St Mary and return via Kiowa, East Glacier and Marias Pass back to Kalispell.

I am planning to visit Glacier after the Castlegar Hog Hunt and do the Highway if construction is not a major problem. It is all great country up there.

Bruce, AKA Longrider

Okay, I'm considering a visit to Glacier as I have never been which means I would just meet everyone in Castlegar and forego Spokane on the trip up.
I may be taking US2 across from Michigan through Glacier on my way out. I'll probably be there some time on Wednesday. Maybe I'll see you there.

I may be taking US2 across from Michigan through Glacier on my way out. I'll probably be there some time on Wednesday. Maybe I'll see you there.
One thing about it, she's difficult to miss on the big red beauty she rides!

I'll be accompanying the lovely Tyler on this excursion. I have ridden much of the area we'll be covering. I do agree the Spiral Highway is probably not to be missed, although it's certainly a "quickie", which is always better than none. :p I believe I have her talked into taking 17 to 6 and going to Waterton and then 3 to 3A over Kootenay Lake via the ferry, through Nelson to Castlegar, just because it's lovely! If time becomes a problem, we could simply stay to 3 and do the Balfour ferry another day! And what about Ainswowrth Hot Springs?? :dribble:

I look forward to this ride through some of the most gorgeous country ever and to meeting some new mates! My bro lives in Spokane, and my other family in PDX so will probably try to route south that direction heading through Rattlesnake Canyon and coheres Tyler to join me, but that's still in the planning process. This is her baby and I'm along for the good company!

I'll be accompanying the lovely Tyler on this excursion. I have ridden much of the area we'll be covering. I do agree the Spiral Highway is probably not to be missed, although it's certainly a "quickie", which is always better than none. :p I believe I have her talked into taking 17 to 6 and going to Waterton and then 3 to 3A over Kootenay Lake via the ferry, through Nelson to Castlegar, just because it's lovely! If time becomes a problem, we could simply stay to 3 and do the Balfour ferry another day! And what about Ainswowrth Hot Springs?? :dribble:

I look forward to this ride through some of the most gorgeous country ever and to meeting some new mates! My bro lives in Spokane, and my other family in PDX so will probably try to route south that direction heading through Rattlesnake Canyon and coheres Tyler to join me, but that's still in the planning process. This is her baby and I'm along for the good company!

It sounds like you really know your way around that part of the continent. I have been through Glacier and ridden the Spiral Highway a few years ago when WFO was in Idaho. Both are great fun. I don't really have a route planned from Glacier to NAFO. I will be traveling with one or two other FJRs and like to leave the route plans loose so we can accommodate everyone in the group and allow for changes due to weather.

I'll be riding the Adirondacks on Saturday with a group ride being organized by RoadRunner, and then my main goal is to get to NAFO on time with minimal Interstate miles.

You two should take the Snake from Enterprise to Lewiston.

The Snake

On my way home from Golden in 2008 for the first NAFO I went via the Black Hills down to Cody then the Chief Joesph By-way to the Bear Tooth. From the Bear Tooth I went up to a Aunts in Moore Mt and spent the night then took 200 to Missoula then Lolo down to Lewiston. After spending the night in my favorite motel I headed home to Stanwood via the Snake.

After all the fun stuff I was up on top of the plains and I took a break at a little rest stop overlooking a narrow valley. There was this placard talking about where the Nez Perce and Chief Joesph wintered down below, it was where he took his people from on his "I Shall Run no More". It kinda hit me how hard that must of been, what I took three days to do at my leisure! It was one of those moments for me.

On my way home from Golden in 2008 for the first NAFO I went via the Black Hills down to Cody then the Chief Joesph By-way to the Bear Tooth. From the Bear Tooth I went up to a Aunts in Moore Mt and spent the night then took 200 to Missoula then Lolo down to Lewiston. After spending the night in my favorite motel I headed home to Stanwood via the Snake.

After all the fun stuff I was up on top of the plains and I took a break at a little rest stop overlooking a narrow valley. There was this placard talking about where the Nez Perce and Chief Joesph wintered down below, it was where he took his people from on his "I Shall Run no More". It kinda hit me how hard that must of been, what I took three days to do at my leisure! It was one of those moments for me.
I LOVE those moments! I too have considered the Nez Perce since they covered soooo much territory and I've ridden through much of it with your same thoughts.

I have been working on my routs to and from NAFO and I was just wondering if there is a really good site for determining if the roads your looking at are paved or dirt?

I have been using garmin basecamp, yahoo maps, google maps, google earth, mapquest and none seem to really have anything to clearly define them.

I did ad the snake to my rout after seing the link.

I find myself in a quandry concerning my route to Castlegar. I had planned to meet up with the boys from Arizona and the "Gathering of the Clans" group from California in Spokane and ride up to NAFO with them. I believe these groups to be made up of a bunch of wild and crazy guys that I could fit right in with.

A recent post by "Escapefjrist" detailed a northern route to NAFO going through country I have never seen. My problem is I know nothing about these Washington people and am not sure a half Californian, half Oregonian would be accepted by them.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Okay, I'm considering a visit to Glacier as I have never been which means I would just meet everyone in Castlegar and forego Spokane on the trip up.
Nebbermind.. I was thinking US 28.. Big fire up that way for the last week.

I find myself in a quandry concerning my route to Castlegar. I had planned to meet up with the boys from Arizona and the "Gathering of the Clans" group from California in Spokane and ride up to NAFO with them. I believe these groups to be made up of a bunch of wild and crazy guys that I could fit right in with.

A recent post by "Escapefjrist" detailed a northern route to NAFO going through country I have never seen. My problem is I know nothing about these Washington people and am not sure a half Californian, half Oregonian would be accepted by them.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Just stay away from the Zonies,they are all fuked in the head.

You'll be OK with the Washington crowd as long as you buy them pie.