High of 43F lets ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlson_mn

Reaction score
I'm going to get out and celebrate this fantastic winter and go for first ride this winter since Dec 27th. Forecast is high of 43 and sunny so that sounds good enough. Might be a couple hours maybe longer if it feels good. If I'm kidding myself and it's too cold I might just turn around near Welch and come back home. If it feels good at that point I thought I'd head to lake city and then to Wabasha and then find a way home from there. No heated gear yet for me but I do have some nice warm riding pants now. Let me know if you want to meet up and find some roads to ride. Probably heading out around 11am or noon to maximize the sunshine!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good but I won't make it that far north. Picking up my bike from griff's and riding it home. I think this engine needs some exercising on the way home on 294. Hopefully not too much salt on the road.

Would love to go for a ride Matt. Been feelin' the itch big time lately. However, oldest son and his family are coming over for the afternoon. Don't get to see the grandson near enough.

Have a great ride Matt, and know I'll be cursin' you for being another one riding when I'm not :p

Mike

That's cool Mike but I'll be looking for you to be riding again next time... in March if we stay lucky it will be 50 or 60 degrees....

I cheated Tech Day a bit and installed my aftermarket rear shock today. Hopefully it works well still.

Well, I did get out for a 2 hour trip. I think it's my first time riding in February.

Busy at the slopes today.

DSCN7473.jpg

Here's what Welch looks like now. A bit sandy in some spots had me taking some off lines but it was nice to get out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpmRDFTkKTw

Way to go Matt! Riding in February looks great ...even in MN.

Is it me or does that lower mount for your camera make it seem faster? Nice video.

I did get out yesterday...on my bicycle to ride some snow covered muddy trails. It was between riding w/ you or the wife, and the wife won. ;)

I rode the bike home yesterday from griff's...first time with heated gear. Holy Crap...that warm n safe and powerlet glove liner gets hot fast! I had 'em at 50% and had to stop and turn 'em down to 20% or so for the ride home. :clapping:

I think I am now fitted for winter riding whenever the salt isn't around.

I just need some hot packs to put in my boots to keep my previously frost bitten toes from freezing. They never stay warm...ever. So that is the challenge now.

A couple things I noticed on the highway ride home. My suspension is pretty harsh...I need to reset that. :clapping:

I am going to move the camera back up top so I can see the speedo, been testing different spots. I have a Tour Master heated jacket in the mail, that should take care of my needs. Gloves may come another day but heated grips suffice for most of my riding and good insulated gloves.

A couple things I noticed on the highway ride home. My suspension is pretty harsh...I need to reset that. :clapping:
That's a function of the temps you were riding in. My bike firms up a lot when the mercury heads south.

I have a Tour Master heated jacket in the mail, that should take care of my needs. Gloves may come another day but heated grips suffice for most of my riding and good insulated gloves.
I have a nice warm and safe liner and the powerlet glove liners under my winter gloves with a dual controller. Man this heated gear will rock in the winter, early spring, late fall, at elevation, cold rainy days...

That's a function of the temps you were riding in. My bike firms up a lot when the mercury heads south.
I'll keep that in mind, thanks Steve.

Man this heated gear will rock in the winter, early spring, late fall, at elevation, cold rainy days...
What nobody mentions about heated gear is what it does for available packing space. You no longer have to pack a coat, sweatshirt etc. It all just gets replaced by heated gear. Hell, look at my pics from our tour of Victoria and you can see I'm wearing my heated jacket liner

P9120161.jpg

I rode the bike home yesterday from griff's...first time with heated gear. Holy Crap...that warm n safe and powerlet glove liner gets hot fast! I had 'em at 50% and had to stop and turn 'em down to 20% or so for the ride home. :clapping:

I think I am now fitted for winter riding whenever the salt isn't around.

I just need some hot packs to put in my boots to keep my previously frost bitten toes from freezing. They never stay warm...ever. So that is the challenge now.

What temps were you riding in? I went for a cruise last night here for the first time in my new Tourmaster jacket liner. I kept it at 100% power. It was a bit toasty but felt good. Was on the highway at 22 degrees.

DSCN7499.jpg

DSCN7503.jpg