BC Roads worth trying

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing about the radar detectors is if they catch you with one they show no mercy, are really really pissy about making you life hell if they can. I know this for fact, Mine quit on me, it has saved me some money but maybe I'm old enough to start listening to shit that makes sense. Ok, I say that now but it's not me, it's the bike, it wants to go fast and how can I argue with her. I guess the, "I don't understand the coversion from miles to Kilometers" defence might work with American plates.

Here's a slightly longer loop:

https://maps.google.c...urce=gplus-ogsb

BTW, watch for the forest rats especially on any of those secondary highways and country roads :blink:
That route (1743 km) is a major bum burner to try to do that during NAFO.

I'm sure Jeff & the crew have some great routes lined up but only as a suggestion I offer the following...

2012-NAFO-Proposed-Route-L.jpg

This route runs 536 km (333 miles) . IMHO the detour to Nelson is worth it. Nelson is where all the Hippies went when they got kicked out of Vancouver. Well worth the stop to check out the shops & restaurants.

Last edited by a moderator:
... I guess the, "I don't understand the coversion from miles to Kilometers" defence might work with American plates.
I wouldn't bet the bank on that one. The RCMP traffic cops have no sense of humour. Don't ask how I know this.

By the way the "I don't understand the conversion from kilometers to miles" defence for Canadians won't cut it in New York State. Again, don't ask how I know this.

For a good dose of twisties go to Balfour, across the ferry and head down to Creston and back across the Creston-Salmo highway. Nice ride! The ferry guys are usually pretty good about getting the bikes off of the ferry at Kooteny Bay first to get them ahead of all the slow traffic.
Rode pretty much all the Kootenay area a few years ago, and was told taking the ferry, etc. as you say is NOT to be missed if you're in the area. Ive done the Creston-Salmo another way and can vouch for that. So this year, I'm definitely putting the ferry ride on the list!

Small aside, I was running 130+(km) on the Creston-Salmo and a young RCMP guy pulls me over. He commented on all my ATGATT, I admitted my guilt, and he says in mid-conversation he wasn't going to give me a ticket just wanted to slow me down. I said I had lots of time really and then we chatted about motorcycling for 15 minutes..... he took off.... eventually, as we approached the next town, I find myself doing 120+ and catching up.... he flashed on all his lights whle I was some distance behind and kept on going.... slow down you dummy!! I did.

Last edited by a moderator:
For a good dose of twisties go to Balfour, across the ferry and head down to Creston and back across the Creston-Salmo highway. Nice ride! The ferry guys are usually pretty good about getting the bikes off of the ferry at Kooteny Bay first to get them ahead of all the slow traffic.
Rode pretty much all the Kootenay area a few years ago, and was told taking the ferry, etc. as you say is NOT to be missed if you're in the area. Ive done the Creston-Salmo another way and can vouch for that. So this year, I'm definitely putting the ferry ride on the list!

Small aside, I was running 130+(km) on the Creston-Salmo and a young RCMP guy pulls me over. He commented on all my ATGATT, I admitted my guilt, and he says in mid-conversation he wasn't going to give me a ticket just wanted to slow me down. I said I had lots of time really and then we chatted about motorcycling for 15 minutes..... he took off.... eventually, as we approached the next town, I find myself doing 120+ and catching up.... he flashed on all his lights whle I was some distance behind and kept on going.... slow down you dummy!! I did.

Ray

I didn't realize you were such a rebel... :unsure:

Are radar detectors legal in BC? I do not exceed the posted limits, very often, and the conversion to meteric although is on the speedo, can be overlooked as one gets involved in the turns and traffic. I may invest in a detector just to cover my ass..

FWFE

My wife says just do the speed limit dumbass, then you will not have to worry about it.

She has a point,

Damn,
Do the posted speed limit on major highways and you will be run over. Lots of rabbits up north. Yes, detectors are legal but I would not flaunt it. Nor would I leave it on the bike unattended, things tend to vanish up there.
Radar Detectors may be legal in BC, but they are illegal in most other Canadian provinces. So I've been seeking a cloaking device for a long long time ....

Never been pulled over in BC, only had lights flashed at me a few times. Then again I don't speed. ;)

Ok, so this is my favourite section of road in BC, albeit a litte far from Castlegar. Nice and wide open with spectacular views that allows some quickness around the bendy parts of the road.

Do the posted speed limit on major highways and you will be run over...
+1 to that.

Last year when I resumed riding after a much too long hiatus, and thinking the FJR was likely to draw the attention of the constabulary, I attempted to keep my speed 'reasonable.'

Damn near got run off the road four times in as many days by idiots passing me on solid double lines, so I realized a more aggressive riding style was required simply to stay alive.

A local constable said I'd remain un-hassled if I kept it below, for example, 120kph in a 100kph zone, and sure enough I've cruised by the RCMP speed traps at 10kph - 15kph over the posted 100kph with no problem on the open highway.

I do try to keep it 'reasonable' in the towns, and on the secondary roads :ph34r:

Ok, so this is my favourite section of road in BC, albeit a litte far from Castlegar. Nice and wide open with spectacular views that allows some quickness around the bendy parts of the road.
+1

When you get to Lillooet you can either head to Lytton and pick up Hwy 1 or (my preference)keep going through Pemberton, Whistler, Squamish to Vancouver. I usually come home this way. Watch out for gravel, deer and slow moving HOG packs :D

+1

When you get to Lillooet you can either head to Lytton and pick up Hwy 1 or (my preference)keep going through Pemberton, Whistler, Squamish to Vancouver. I usually come home this way. Watch out for gravel, deer and slow moving HOG packs :D
That section is a really nice ride, however, I found it to be a little bit tedious. Just my opinion. The new section from Whistler to Van can be fun, if you don't get caught speeding!

The Sea to Sky, from Whistler to North Van is a sweet ride but the cops are everywhere and the speed is way too low if there isn't a lot of traffic. It's worth a ride on a day when you aren't going to run into a lot of peeople that don't understand fast lanes and slow lanes. Sort of like riding down south, no one ever wants to change lanes.

I think the destinations hwy series is great, I think they will offer a discount for NAFO, I emailed them and they did for WFO 10, Their books are pretty comprehensive and up to date.

The Sea to Sky, from Whistler to North Van is a sweet ride but the cops are everywhere and the speed is way too low if there isn't a lot of traffic. It's worth a ride on a day when you aren't going to run into a lot of peeople that don't understand fast lanes and slow lanes. Sort of like riding down south, no one ever wants to change lanes.
+1. Last time I was through there wasn't too bad. Other than right around Squamish. Can get fairly busy around there.

Been reading this thread - thanks for all the info. In Sept we are heading from SLC, UT to Hyder (See new thread here: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=144460 ) and I've been using Destination Highways as one of my guides, but I need some specific thoughts and advice on the following:

From Hyder, is it practical to go via Prince Rupert, then a ferry to Vancouver Island, then a ferry accross to Vancouver. We figure the ferry ride/s could just be another interesting experience for us tourists.

All suggestion welcomed. Thanks.

From Hyder, is it practical to go via Prince Rupert, then a ferry to Vancouver Island, then a ferry accross to Vancouver. We figure the ferry ride/s could just be another interesting experience for us tourists.
The ferry is an interesting experience but is very expensive IMHO. The fare for rider & motorcycle is $400 and that is just for the ferry from Prince Rupert to Port Hardy. It is then another $40 for rider & motorcycle to make it off the island over to Vancouver.

BC Ferries Fares

The Habs and the Leafs must be totally in the fecking toilet, none of you Canuckistanis are even talking about Hockey anymore. All you Hosers talk about now are roads!

Toronto

16-15-7

17-20-2

4-5

3-5-2

Lost 1

Montréal

NE

14-15-10

15-19-4

5-10

4-2-4