Photo

Spline Lubrication - No HondaPro 60 Moly Available!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 SECA_to_FJR

SECA_to_FJR

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

Pulled my rear wheel off for the first time to have the dealer mount a new tire this weekend. I figured while i had it off I'd do the rear spline and shaft lubrication mentioned on the FJRTech site. It specifically mentions using the HondaPro stuff is the best for the job so I figured I'd pick some up at the dealer when I dropped the tire off.
Of course they were out of it. I really wanted to do the service and put it back together this weekend. I talked with a tech and asked if I could just use some wheel barring
grease. He said it would be fine so that's what I used. Seems to run smooth.

Question for you guys who may be more in the know... Does using wheel barring grease sound ok? Is the other stuff really that much better?
Should I make a point of pulling the tire off again and re-doing when I can get the HondPro grease?

Thanks for any insight on this.

Mike
In the fold:

2006 Yamaha FJR1300
1981 Yamaha XJ750 SECA

#2 Ignacio

Ignacio

Administrative Idealist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,397 posts
  • Bike: 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

Question for you guys who may be more in the know... Does using wheel barring grease sound ok? Is the other stuff really that much better?
Should I make a point of pulling the tire off again and re-doing when I can get the HondPro grease?
[/quote]

Yes, immediately! You should set up caution tape, notify your regional HazMat response team, and wear a Tyvec suit until it's changed!

The point is to have a light bit of lubrication to prevent rusting. I'm sure most any grease will work do the job.
My LD Blog, IBA #332
2005 ABS "Heart of Gold" & 2005 "Zaphod" & 2013 Husqvarana TR650 Strada "Noxeema"
Posted Image through Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Seat Review here (click on About Me). LED conversion for instrument lights here and taillights here. Watts of radar detectors and GPS here.
Google Search is your FJRForum friend! Try something like best tire FJR site:fjrforum.com at google.com

#3 carlson_mn

carlson_mn

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
  • Bike: 2008 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

Anything is better than nothing. I just use lithium grease from walmart and it seems to work great. I've never heard of a failure in that area of the bike on this forum ever so the fact that the vast majority of FJR's out there that have never been lubed are working fine makes me think it's not a huge issue what brand of grease we use.
Matt
2008 FJR1300A. Wilbers 640 Rear Shock, raised 5/8". Leo Vince carbon pipes
2004 FJR1300A, Bandit 1200, Honda Sabre V65, Nighthawk 250, Honda CH250

#4 Patriot

Patriot

Isabella is Lazarus

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,151 posts
  • Bike: 2004 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

ONLY USE THIS:
http://www.summitrac...parts/LUC-10484
Mike in Nawlins' ..... 2004.5 FJR 1300 Silver Bullet "Isabella" in Nawlins' ..... Darksider #53
IBA# 42430 . my pics - FLICKR CLICKY HERE and New Orleans Ride Captain; Patriot Guard Riders; www.patriotguard.org
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 Bounce

Bounce

Chicks Dig Scars

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,788 posts
  • Bike: 2003 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

The Honda Moly 60 paste is recommended because it stays put under heat and pressure.

As bullet proof as the Gold Wind final drive is, there are those who didn't mind their splines and eventually ended up with costly repairs (not just rust). With generations of the bike and decades of experience behind the design, there's a reason that specific spline lube has become the gold standard. Failing to maintain your equipment may work fine for 30k miles. It may even get by for a many with double that mileage and neglect. But if you want a shaft drive system to be trouble free for 200k miles (or even the 400k that I know 1 or 2 people who did) then caring for your equipment is vital. Then there's the old school position that spending that kind of money on your bike and neglecting it is poor stewardship and wasteful of your investment. How many months do you have to work to pay for you bike? Why throw it down a rat hole when routine maintenance is so well documented?

Certainly something is better than nothing. But the high-moly content paste is even better and is available on line. Plan ahead for your next service and have some on hand.

http://www.google.co...989&output=nojs

or

http://tinyurl.com/c3cb4qm
Ft. Worth, TX, IBA #288
FJR-Tips.org
A.B.M.

#6 SECA_to_FJR

SECA_to_FJR

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

Thanks all for the feedback...
In the fold:

2006 Yamaha FJR1300
1981 Yamaha XJ750 SECA

#7 HotRodZilla

HotRodZilla

Trying To Be Good

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,375 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:55 AM

I use a Valvoline Moly grease I bought at AutoZone for probably half what the Honda Moly costs.
I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shitheads"
- Colonel Charlie Beckwith

#8 Bustanut joker

Bustanut joker

STFU

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,699 posts
  • Bike: Other or considering FJR

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:05 AM

I'm not sure what I use... it's a molly paste 70% or so they say.
Great for higher end "spring type"airguns though.. keeps the wear down and adds a few feet per second.:P

Actually It's the same stuff crinkle dik zilla uses.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Los Robustos M/C member #18 Darksider #28

#9 fljab

fljab

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Bike: 2009 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

I use a Valvoline Moly grease I bought at AutoZone for probably half what the Honda Moly costs.

+1; I bought a tube of moly grease at my local Napa store for ~$5. I figure that'll last until my wife settles the estate....

#10 RaYzerman19

RaYzerman19

Go Wings Go!

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

We have debated this here before if you do a search. Splines generate a lot of heat, and Honda ST's and Goldwings definitely require moly 60 lube at tire changes. I got ugly pictures of worn splines. The FJR's maybe have harder metal or slightly different design, however, I would not think twice about lubing the rear splines with Moly 60. Regular greases or greases with only 3% moly aren't good enough IMHO. Spend the $11 for the good stuff and check at every tire change. The tube will last you a lifetime as you only need a coating......

You don't go to Freddy Beach for the beach....

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound

#11 rbentnail

rbentnail

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:44 AM

Thanks all for the feedback...

Next time you lube the splines, take a few minutes and do the front end splines too. Some say it's overkill but WTH, why not?
I think sometimes folks are just a little too anal about oils & filters & coolant & specs & spark plugs & torque & batteries & tires & brakes & shift levers & light bulbs & CCTs & cleanliness & stuff.

Russ- Darksider #64

#12 Bounce

Bounce

Chicks Dig Scars

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,788 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:10 AM

Getting in there and cleaning up the u-joint can't hurt either.

http://www.fjr-tips..../ujoint/uj.html
Ft. Worth, TX, IBA #288
FJR-Tips.org
A.B.M.

#13 Fontanaman

Fontanaman

Alvin Lee

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Bike: 2009 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

I know just the ticket. I bet the guys on the BMW forum know a thing or two about spline lube so here is how they answer the question. :yahoo:

#14 Geno

Geno

FJR Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Bike: 2011 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

Reading these forums is a great way to get edumacated on the best way to maintain our beloved Feejers, but sometimes a person can get pretty alarmed from some of the horror stories. I just finished my 16K service on my '11 (she's 10 months old now). I had a new set of PR3s installed, and while the back wheel was off, I pulled the driveshaft to clean & lube the splines that are so wretched looking on the FJRTech site. The splines on my bike were very nicely lubed, and so were the driven splines in the pumpkin. My thought is maybe someone at Yamaha has been reading these threads and made corrections along the way. Also, I sprayed the shaft with Boeshield T-9 as a rust preventive measure. It works wonders on my cast iron tablesaw tops, and won't pick up dirt like grease will. Bottom line, those of us with newer models can breathe a little easier when reading about all the 'gotchas' from the older bikes. Guess Yamaha made most of their mistakes on Gen 1s. :P
'11 FJR - The Silver Bullet
'07 Moto Guzzi Breva V1100 - Sophia (Enormous jugs)

#15 Pegsparks

Pegsparks

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:02 AM

I use this, Loctite Moly Paste. Some stores have it but I got mine online.

http://www.google.co...32368241099444#
IBA #53917

#16 Bounce

Bounce

Chicks Dig Scars

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,788 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:13 AM

The data sheet[1] says it's 65% moly which means it's at least as much as the Honda Moly 60[2] Paste. That means if it's cost-competitive and at least as easy to find/order as the Honda stuff[3] we appear to have a good option out there now.

Good find.

[1] https://tds.us.henke...le/MolyP-EN.pdf

[2] Which clocks in at 60%

[3] Assuming the carrier base (the remaining 35%) is as beneficial/inert as Honda's (40%)
Ft. Worth, TX, IBA #288
FJR-Tips.org
A.B.M.