Hyper-lite Service/Support Experience?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT Pedersen

Reaction score
Howdy,

I am soliciting feedback regarding Hyper-lites sales, service, support experiences.

10 years ago, I bought Hyper-lites and was not impressed with their service life (<2 years). I need to put something like a hyper-lite on my bike now, as I'm simply not being seen well enough (silver bike). In deciding whether to buy Hyper-lites again, I am looking for input on current product life, and company experience.

I've asked this question in a couple of other areas: No responses. I've tried calling them directly: No answer, no answering machine. Nada. I've sent them email: No responses after weeks. To be honest, seems to be a dead business from all appearances.

What say you?

Thanks for your comments.

I put Hyper-lites on my FJ over 10 years ago. They're still on there and still working. When I received them, one unit (of two) had the LEDs misaligned and poking out the edge of the casing. I called them up, talked with the owner. He immediately said he'd send me a new one, no charge. We ended up chatting for about a half hour about general riding topics. The new unit arrived quickly and is still on the bike today. Never had any issues with them.

One data point.

Last edited by a moderator:
every set of hyper lites I've installed worked fine. didn't have the bikes for more than a few years, so can't attest to longevity I guess...

but they cost 50 bucks? so...

I'm guessing the phone and the rest don't get responded to immediately... the product is pretty self explanatory... Sure sure, if you have a problem, someone should be there to help, certainly agree with that.

but honestly, if I get 2 yrs out of em, then have to spend another 50? ease of installation, functionality... no problem, I can do that.

After 2 years 4 of the 16 led's went out..I called them and they immediately sent out a new set along with a fuse to prevent spikes...no return no receipt no problem..

Similar experience to report.. My two sets (of 16 LEDs) are now on their third bike (over five years). One cluster of four went out a while back and I just lived with it--they still worked and were nice and bright. Then I read a report here that someone had been sent a replacement for the same problem so I called. A new unit came right away. Partly because my old ones had the sticky side on the back for mounting and the new one had it on the side, so I couldn't just switch them (my fault. I should have specified) but partly because "more is better" for lighting, I. Just added the new one to the old two. Now I've got THREE sets back there with a total of 44 (not 48) LEDs, and I'm very pleased the the company and the product. They're not the VERY brightest out there, but I like them a lot.

I have had HyperLights on a couple bikes, I think I'm on my 3rd set though on my 2006.

When I first put them on (the combo units that have amber lights that flash as turn signals as well) one side didn't light all the time, and by that I mean one row on one side, not the whole light.

I called, they sent a replacement. The replacement suffered the same fate... Sometimes they light sometimes they don't. Sometimes about 1/2 of one side will light, sometimes it doesn't.

So the running joke around here is that if they all worked all the time they wouldn't be hyperlights.

To their credit though they did send me a 3rd set, which I have yet to mount and test.

Would I buy them again? *maybe*. They are bright when they work, but if they were my only lights? No probably not but they are not my only lights.

Just my $.02 YMMV

The same thread came up on the LDR list.

I got a set through Sampson Sport-Touring. They were VERY helpful and extremely customer-centric. I got mine in 2003 and they still work fine. I had some on my previous bike without issues either.

As was mentioned in the LDR thread, Hyper-lights have a "forever" warranty. Contact the company and you should be able to get replacement parts.

The same thread came up on the LDR list.
By somebody with the same name too! And they said something about getting it resolve over there....but not here. Hmmmm. Maybe JT will come back and paste the resolution in. ;)

I have only had my Hyper-Lites a month and they work fine. When I placed the order I purchased the modulating brake version and changed my mind the next morning on which ones I wanted. (Switched to Running lights with modulating brake lights) Lady I talked to was very nice, told her I placed an order last night and I wanted to change it. She grabbed my order, read what I had ordered, told her what I wanted and she made the change. Very simple.

Bought some "bungee buddies" from Sampsons Sport Touring over 2 months ago. Never arrived and have had zero response to my emails. Also, it appears as tho their website is inoperative. I've initiated a complaint with Pay Pal - its only $21 but it's the principle.

Bought some "bungee buddies" from Sampsons Sport Touring over 2 months ago. Never arrived and have had zero response to my emails. Also, it appears as tho their website is inoperative. I've initiated a complaint with Pay Pal - its only $21 but it's the principle.
I believe Terry who was Sampson Sport Touring was ill and passed away recently, and by recently I mean Saturday the 16th. Which would explain the lack of service. I've had nothing but good support from him in the past. It's been the actual hyper-light product quality that has been an issue with me.

-MD

I can confirm that Terry passed away after an extended fight against COPD. He was in the hopsital for at least the last month before his passing. Prior to that he was in and out of the hospital on a pretty regular basis and frequently on O2 when at home.

His SO is struggling with "final expenses" and I'm unsure how involved she was with the operations of Sampson Sport-Touring. I know Terry had contengencies established for many operational aspects of his business but I don't know any of those specifics.

He was a great guy and an asset to the motorcycling community. He's already missed.

If you have not been charged for your order, then consider other avenues. If you have been charged and not yet gotten your item, do a follow up email with some kind of flag in the subject line that makes it stand out from routine items. I'm personally confident that his contengency process will kick in and things will be resolved eventually.

Better than Hyperlites are the P3 lights from www.skenedesign.com

The patented conspicuity flicker is an attention getter.