06 and VStream (My Take FWIW)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdisher

formerly Renegade, get used to it.
Reaction score
OK, so I arrive home and find the VStream that I got from Barbus waiting for me on the front porch.

(Side Note: Packed as good as new, no scratches, excellent condition, as with most folks here, was a pleasure to deal with).

I unboxed it, and held it up to the stock, damn that thing is big.

I went and got the CalSci Tall that I have, and held that up to it. They are the same lenght height wise.

Of course the VStream is wider at the top, by a lot and narrower at the bottom because it doesn't bulge so much.

It was 91 degrees and humid so I bolted it on and took it for a spin.

I think this thing flows about the same amount of air as the Cal Sci in the down postion.

For me (6'-0", with a 30 inch inseam), It's dead quiet in the up or just before full up positoin up to tripple digits, that's all I had time to test.

Did I mention this thing is frigging big? Though because of it's curvature, it doesn't seem so big on the bike, as compared to the Cal Sci IMHO. Tis not as ugly.

It's certainly going to be warmer, no doubt about that, warmer than stock but I don't think any appreciable amount warmer than the Cal Sci.

I wonder what it would be like with a Goldwind vent punched in it at the bottom? Anyone know where I can get one? I might be willing to try that, or maybe punching that into the Cal Sci.

Photos here: Clicky (yeah a clean bike is a gay bike but I just washed it yesterday in an effort to make it rain).

-MD

As I mentioned to Matt, I like 1/4 spacers with the Vstream. It gave me the cleanest air down, but got some buffeting up. I run with shield 90% down. I am 6'1" with 32" inseam. Matt is a great guy to deal with and I hope someone can help him get this dialled in. Personally, I am about to try 1/2 spacer with the CalSci tall. I will let everyone know on another thread.

is it heavier than the Calsci? I know it's bigger, but is it thicker too? I know my Vstream was twice as thick as my stock and ceebaileys...but I have an '05.

Heavier? That's a good question. It didn't 'seem' to me top be overly heavy weight wise. Is it Ceebaileys thick? I don't think so. Not from the CeeBaileys I've seen. But it does seem a bit more stout that the stock screen.

Thickness, I'd say between the stock and CalSci. For fit, finish it's way better IMHO.

It didn't seem to flex too much but it was also a fairly clam day the day I did my test ride.

I'll be commuting with it today in the rain because the cage is down, I'll know more later this afternoon.

Heavier? That's a good question. It didn't 'seem' to me top be overly heavy weight wise. Is it Ceebaileys thick? I don't think so. Not from the CeeBaileys I've seen. But it does seem a bit more stout that the stock screen.
Thickness, I'd say between the stock and CalSci. For fit, finish it's way better IMHO.

It didn't seem to flex too much but it was also a fairly clam day the day I did my test ride.

I'll be commuting with it today in the rain because the cage is down, I'll know more later this afternoon.
Hi Renegade,

Our VStream is 4.5mm thick for the 2006-07 FJR. I'm not sure on the thickness of the CB. However, more thickness in this case does not necessarily mean more strength, since the VStream is made of Lexan polycarbonate, which is much stronger than acrylic.

Hi Renegade,

Our VStream is 4.5mm thick for the 2006-07 FJR. I'm not sure on the thickness of the CB. However, more thickness in this case does not necessarily mean more strength, since the VStream is made of Lexan polycarbonate, which is much stronger than acrylic.
Thanks for that info.

Now that I've put a couple hundred miles behind it, here are my updated/feal at this point:

1. Being a big screen it does (flex, or shake about if it's windy or gusty), but no more so than the Cal Sci I took off.
  2. Down, I get good clean air, right at, or just above my chin. Not so much on my neck, allthough I *think* it feels a bit cooler than the Cal Sci. It was 92 and humid and I was OK. Any warmer and I think it might be too warm.
  3. I can find dead silence and the right size bubble for me all the way up, or just short of all the way up. I still look over it and not through it so this is good.
  4. Back pressure: There is some, not too bad though, I wonder if CalSci holes punch in it would lessen this. It's not bad enough yet for me to consider it, but I also haven't logged 1000 miles in a day behind it.
  5. I still think a Wing like vent might be a good thing given the overall size of this screen.
  6. I haven't ridden in anything more than a drizzle, I failed to get rained on today or yesterday so I don't know how this will be yet.
So far this is a good screen for me. I need to come up with a faster way to change screens :)
Some manufatured thumbscrews for the alan screws that hold the W on would be good (Skyway?)

Thinking about cutting down the stock one since it's borderline useless.

Last edited by a moderator:
your impressions about the same as mine-ours temps were 95+ and it was hot with gear even it low position. The width cut all the air to shouder area even when down.I think the moderate back pressure when up was giving me the neck and back of the head ache.The scorpion helmet might have some bearing on that. The barn door look is apparent. It did create the the quiet still air zone and I heard engine and tire noises I never heard before. Should have the factory tall this week and will try it. I also am going to cut down the factory stock (its not useable for me above 1/2 way up due to rough air and noise) and try that-I noticed when I stand on pegs or lean out to the side the air flow is clean-cutting the stock screen may create some of that clean air for summer riding and use the factory tall for winter. U/M was out of the tall and said on back order from Yamaha. I bought off ebay from a dealer in Florida at slightly under list price.