06 Corbin Smuggler

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel

Reaction score
So the smuggler for my 06 arrived today by total surprise. :yahoo:

I wasn't expecting it for 2-3 weeks.

I thought I'd give a review and post lots of pic's since it's such a controversial item given it's price....and understandably so.

Came in a large box with lots of packing material and it was also wrapped in a soft paper cloth material.

No paint runs, ripples or other imperfection that I can find.

Perfect color match.

No rough edges.

Drops right in and lock in place just like it should.

Looks like factory product, not aftermarket.

I'm very please with fit and finish and functionality. It's obvious Corbin's puts allot of work into it.

Just a few minor things to mention.

The storage space under the smuggler is reduced a bit. I kept a tire repair kit under the passenger seat and it no longer fits....but I just moved it to the smuggler so it's no big deal to me.

Also notice how the smuggler drapes over the sides of the luggage rack..... I liked to use the sides for the rack for lifting the bike onto the centerstand, but can't now.....Oh well, now I have to use the handel infront of the saddle bag that was put there specifically for lifting the bike onto the centerstand. These are really non-issues but I just thought I'd mention them.

Here are a bunch of pictures.

Go to this link, click on a pic and then 'all sizes' to see it in full size.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55474414@N00/...57594175246422/

173466161_780bb5b150.jpg

173466232_e60f206f50.jpg

173466346_714955d6ba.jpg

173466442_3b11888a3d.jpg

173466501_ad84709343.jpg

My cell phone in the smuggler

173466569_747747e3e3.jpg

My size 11.5 nikes in the smuggler

173466655_4390f62006.jpg

Some room to spare

173466723_2f81baf292.jpg

Long story short, I'm very satisfied with it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you elaborate a bit on the space underneath the Smuggler? I've currently got my PCIII and Mixit stored down there, and am wondering if they'd still fit with a Smuggler mounted, or if I'd have to relocate them... :huh:

Looks sweet. Just the wrong color. :p

Are those size twelves or what? Oh, 11.5 ... I knew they were boats. I could get TWO pair in there! Maybe even my BOOTS!

So, can you feel that back pad when you're sitting on the saddle?

Is that a stock front seat?

Do you have to use THEIR lockset? I have a spare set on my '04 for a top box, and I hope my '06 comes with a spare set, too. Can you use that with the box to lock it?

Thanks for the post. Very sharp! How hard would it be to remove if you wanted to put the pillion back on for a passenger? It looks like some space for moving around in the rider saddle is lost, am I right? Have you ridden with it to see if that pad is of any use on your back/noise/vibration issues on the go, etc.? Was installation straightforward?

Appreciate your sharing and comments.

Thanks for the post. Very sharp! How hard would it be to remove if you wanted to put the pillion back on for a passenger? It looks like some space for moving around in the rider saddle is lost, am I right? Have you ridden with it to see if that pad is of any use on your back/noise/vibration issues on the go, etc.? Was installation straightforward?
Appreciate your sharing and comments.
The smuggler drops in just like it WAS the pillion and "locks" in just like the pillion. About 20 seconds to install.

Since the stock seat fits the same ( and locks the smuggler down) you don't really lose anything there. In fact, it looks like you might have slightly MORE room to move around. That's just a guess, though.

Could you elaborate a bit on the space underneath the Smuggler? I've currently got my PCIII and Mixit stored down there, and am wondering if they'd still fit with a Smuggler mounted, or if I'd have to relocate them... :huh:

Sorry, but I can't answer your question specifically......your profile reads that you have an 05, and there is a difference in underseat arrangements between the 05 and 06.

Thanks for the post. Very sharp! How hard would it be to remove if you wanted to put the pillion back on for a passenger?
It removes and installs just like you'd remove and replace the passenger seat. :)

It looks like some space for moving around in the rider saddle is lost, am I right?
Sorry, no. Plenty of room to move around in the rider saddle....same as with the passenger seat on.

Have you ridden with it to see if that pad is of any use on your back/noise/vibration issues on the go, etc.?
Yep I've ridden. No issues. It's the same as ridiing with the regular passenger seat on there.....for me at least. BTW, I ride towards the rear of the seat and I'm 6'1", 33 inseam, 180lbs

I didn't have to wait for my bike because I bought it off the showroom floor... but I'm a "waiter" now because I am waiting for my new seat and smuggler to arrive. I really like the look and I can't wait to use that extra space.

FYI: I took my "extra" lock to a locksmith and he told me he could key the lock on the smuggler to match the locks on the bike... that way I don't have an extra key to carry around.

I hope you really enjoy your new toy while I sit here waiting for mine!

;)

So, can you feel that back pad when you're sitting on the saddle?
Not really....just like riding with the stock seat.

Is that a stock front seat?
Yep.

Do you have to use THEIR lockset? I have a spare set on my '04 for a top box, and I hope my '06 comes with a spare set, too. Can you use that with the box to lock it?
I think you'll have to use their lock set.

I supose if you're dtermined, creative and talented enough it could be done.

I don't think it'll be a simple swap....haven't look to close at it though.

I've now have used my smuuggler for entire season and still love it. Once you become used to dropping items in that rear hatch I don't think you can go back. I will buy one for my next bike if they make one.

PS: It doesn't rattle, whistle, and exchanges with the rear seat in 2 minutes.

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1737.jpg

I've now have used my smuuggler for entire season and still love it.
Tom,

Can you comment on the space underneath the smuggler on your '03? Like I mentioned before, I've currently got my Mixit2 and PCIII under the passenger seat, and if I mounted a Smuggler, I'm wondering if they'd still fit down there.

Thanks in advance!

Groo, My PCIII fits nicely under the front seat. I don't think anything will fit under the Smuggler. It looks like they designed it to fit as close as posible to increase "inside" storeage. I think you will need to deside if your stuff can go under the front seat. You can relocated the tools into the Smuggler to create room for more accessory electronincs. You won't need your tank bag anymore!

That might make it a non-starter for me then, since the space under my seat is currently filled with my Centech power distribution block, wiring for various audio and electrical connections, and the 2 blocks needed to use the audio signal for the V1. :( Would have to do some SERIOUS relocating to also get the PCIII and Mixit2 down there... might be possible to fit them in farther back under the tail fairing, but I've also got a back-off module back there too....

Looks very practical, but like most Corbin products looks like some kind of bike tumor. I like their ideas, just not their designs. To each his own I guess. But did I say practical? Looks like a better solution than a tank bag for many items, except maybe a hydration bladder.