'06 Electrical Issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waltonr1

Reaction score
I have a 2006 FJR that has died.

When I switch it on both turnsignal indicators come on, and the Fuel gauge flashes.

The Tach and speedo needles do sweep as expected, but the fuel pump does run, nor do any of the switches work (horn, turn signals,windscreen, etc.

I have checked for proper battery voltage and all fuses - but found nothing wrong there.

If I jump around the starter relay the engine turns over as expected, but no ignition.

There are no fault codes on the computer while in DIAG MODE.

Anyone ever seen this before?

TSW

I have a 2006 FJR that has died.

When I switch it on both turnsignal indicators come on, and the Fuel gauge flashes.

The Tach and speedo needles do sweep as expected, but the fuel pump does run, nor do any of the switches work (horn, turn signals,windscreen, etc.

I have checked for proper battery voltage and all fuses - but found nothing wrong there.

If I jump around the starter relay the engine turns over as expected, but no ignition.

There are no fault codes on the computer while in DIAG MODE.

Anyone ever seen this before?

TSW
see the latest 2006-2009 recall for grounding blocks(spyders)at the top of this section.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=139216

That's your problem!!

The "Brodie" ground harness will solve the problem if your main wire harness isn't already burnt

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely an S4 spider bite. You need to lift the tank and remove the T bar and heat shield in order to check out the spider in the left front section of the engine bay. If the damage isn't too bad, you may be able to temporarily repair it until you can get it to the dealer. The fact that the failure is hard and not intermittant indicates the connector is probably fried and you will need a new harness brfore a permanent fix can de done.

Do review thread "FJRF-009 Intent to recall" before you dig in. You will find photos that will provide a guide in what to look for and how to deal with what you find.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing that really sucks is that the bike left me in Chicken, Alaska last week.

I am having to have it shipped home ($1700).

It will not arrive for another 3 weeks or so - really bites!

The thing that really sucks is that the bike left me in Chicken, Alaska last week.

I am having to have it shipped home ($1700).

It will not arrive for another 3 weeks or so - really bites!

When you review the suggested thread, you will find notes on how to report this failure to the NHTSA. Please do so. Even though Yamaha has released an Intent to Recall, it is a good idea to continue documenting these issues as they occur - including your out of pocket expenses.

Dan

What a hassle on what could have been a great trip. Did the AK trip two years ago and think now what could have happened. My S4 spider was fine, but have since added a ground wire off S4.