'06 Magnum blaster installation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took delivery of my 06 Thursday.
Put the magnum blasters on yesterday as well as the fork brace from my 05.
Diesel,

Ahh, great that you picked up your 06 - but the fork brace from the 05 isn't supposed to fit - cause the forks are a different design? Just curious as to how that worked for you :unsure:

Hmmmm.....Well... it fit's like a glove....just like it did on my 05. It looks like the ABS will clear. I've had the suspension compressed quite a bit and there haven't been any clearance issues.

The only difference I see in the 06 forks is on the lower part near the brakes & axle.

BTW, this is the MotorcycleLarry brace.

150602518_ab821b4cfc_b.jpg

There is some bad new....with the 200lb of me on the bike, the brace does contact the horns about 1/2" before full lock. BTW, the suspension is in stock set up....maybe if I lost some weight or played with the suspension it wouldn't be an issue....and it's really only an issue when moving the bike around in the garage or in a parking lot with me on it.
DO NOT RIDE THE MOTORCYLE WITH ANYTHING HITTING THE HORNS!!!!

If the fork brace is hitting the horns IN ANY WAY you're asking for trouble. Trust me, I learned the hard way.

The idea is to do whatever it takes to get the horns as HIGH up and OUTWARD as possible. Even if this means cutting the inner fairing to allow the horns to tuck in better at 45 degrees to the radiator.

If you don't make sure NOW that nothing will come in contact from full left to full right...WITH the suspension compressed, you may risk the fork hanging up on one of the horns. If this happens.....well I think you know what'll happen. It happened to me.

This I the main reason I've been telling everyone NOT to use the factory horn brackets for the MB's! They allow no flexibility in mounting options.

My plan to buy a house next door to Fred is moving a little slowly. This is more than I'm capable of taking on. Well, I could do it, but it would end up half-hiny and no fun. Anyone in the Austin area who could/would, do this install for me? I'd pay, of course. I think there's probably room on the Goldwing to install a ship's horn, while we're at it.

Farkling the horns now... i figured a six-pack job, but is a little tedious to get everything just so.

Thanks for the post -- good pictures, and good instructions.

Randy's harness seems to fit good.

I tie-wrapped the relay under the right (pilot view) headlight faring, there's a plastic bracket (appears part of the right turn signal) that you can get the relay onto (tedious -- needed hemostats to get the tie-wrap laced)

Now working the harness to the horns.. should be the easy part... we'll see.

Edit: 10pm done. very loud. thanks again for the post and pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.
I'll find someplace else to mount them.

Oh BTW, some time ago on another forum I read that if you remove the silver covers on the rear of the horns it gives a lot more room. I did that and there are no more clearance issues. :yahoo:

I also added a bead of silicon around the edge between the metal and plastic part of the horns to keep water out.