06 Owners Check Your Side Bag Lock Assembly

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHFJR

Reaction score
Word of Caution to all 06 owners! I was at a BMW dealer yesterday (only looking for a pair of gloves) and when I tried to open my left side bag the lock unit pulled up through the case and was just sitting on my key. The side bag opened and then I saw the problem. Here the two little screws that hold the latch to the lock had come out. The latch and the two little screws where just sitting on the sidecase. The two little screws surely would have fallen off the bike if I had ridden it much further. I really lucked out in finding the screws there. Without these screws I would not have been able to put the lock assembly together and the door will not stay closed if the assembly is pieces. As it was, the two little screws have the security Allen head feature and all the BMW tech's had gone home already. I hand tighten the screws into place and prayed for the best. I made it home with the lock assembly in tact. I proceeded to take both bags off the bike and took one screw out at a time and put locktite on each screw and retighten the screws. The threads on the screws showed no sign of locktite being used at the factory.

Word of advice. Go to Sears and get a set of security allen bits and a little tube of red locktite and do this 10 minute fix. It will cause you a real problem if it happens to you.

(Only looking for a pair of gloves eh?)

:ph34r: :assassin:

(That's what they all say....)

If your dealer had read and followed the instructions for installing the locks before you picked it up, you would not have had the problem. On all the bikes the bags are shipped seperately and the locks come with the bike, (so they use the same key as the ignition). The dealer is supposed to install the locks with locktite before you pick it up. It is right with the instructions that come with the bags. They are also supposed to use a special glue to attache the rubber pieces that hold the bottom of the bags to the frame. You might want to make sure they didn't just slip those on without the glue, or you might loose them too.

Tom

IBA #161

If your dealer had read and followed the instructions for installing the locks before you picked it up, you would not have had the problem. On all the bikes the bags are shipped seperately and the locks come with the bike, (so they use the same key as the ignition). The dealer is supposed to install the locks with locktite before you pick it up. It is right with the instructions that come with the bags. They are also supposed to use a special glue to attache the rubber pieces that hold the bottom of the bags to the frame. You might want to make sure they didn't just slip those on without the glue, or you might loose them too.
Tom

IBA #161
My lock screws were locktited but the rubbers were loose. I just assumed you were supposed to take them off when you removed the bags :rolleyes:

I gotta tell ya, this forum is great. Just when I think I can't learn any more, I hear advice on how to keep my rubbers from going loose!

:p

Word of Caution to all 06 owners! I was at a BMW dealer yesterday (only looking for a pair of gloves) and when I tried to open my left side bag the lock unit pulled up through the case and was just sitting on my key. The side bag opened and then I saw the problem. Here the two little screws that hold the latch to the lock had come out.
Not just 06 owners - this has just happened to my 03. I wonder why I couldn't lock the RH case = the brass plate at the base had already lost one screw and the other was half out!

Does anybody know what screws these are? I'm hoping that it's not a special Yamaha part that takes weeks on order. Is it metric, BA etc.? Also, what is the screwdriver type needed - it seems like some kind of security fixing but I don't recognise it.

Thanks

Word of Caution to all 06 owners! I was at a BMW dealer yesterday (only looking for a pair of gloves) and when I tried to open my left side bag the lock unit pulled up through the case and was just sitting on my key. The side bag opened and then I saw the problem. Here the two little screws that hold the latch to the lock had come out.
Not just 06 owners - this has just happened to my 03. I wonder why I couldn't lock the RH case = the brass plate at the base had already lost one screw and the other was half out!

Does anybody know what screws these are? I'm hoping that it's not a special Yamaha part that takes weeks on order. Is it metric, BA etc.? Also, what is the screwdriver type needed - it seems like some kind of security fixing but I don't recognise it.

Thanks
To tell you the truth, I'm not sure why you couldn't use just any onld screw that will fit. Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong here. The Yami screw requires a special tamper resistant (security) torx wrench. I had to buy a whole set (8 bucks, I think) to unscrew, apply loc-tite and re-screw. I'll probably never use the wrench again. But, what the heck. Tools is tools, and I certainly never complained about having too many tools.

Here in the states you can get a set of these at any AutoZone or Pep Boys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, what is the screwdriver type needed - it seems like some kind of security fixing but I don't recognise it.
A T-10 torx driver is what you're looking for. In my experience, it's hard to find a single-unit screwdriver type tool without buying a whole $et of drivers. I lucked out and found a set of Torx bits at Checker Auto Parts for about $8, I think it was. They fit in any bit type screwdriver.

Eureka! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

I went out to the local hardware stores (well DIY stores really since the serious stores don't open on a Sunday) and I established that the thread is M3. I found some zinc-plated steel slot-heads that were twice the length that might form a temporary solution but no spring washers or Loctite so I thought I'd wait until Tuesday when the Yammy dealership is open and give them the problem.

However, my wife came up with a solution without realising it. She was throwing out some cardboard boxes and found a packet of screws in a recent delivery. I had bought two 400 Gb disc drives for a computer backup solution. I didn't realise that the mail order store had thrown a packet of disc drive fitting bolts into the box. These looked about the right size - I tried them and yes, the right thread and the right length. It will get my bags back on the bike tonight and I'll get some Loctite to secure them from the store tomorrow. OK, they aren't the Torx type (these are cross-heads) but it's a solution.

So, if anybody loses their lock screws then the screws that secure a disc drive inside a computer will be an ideal replacement. All you need is a little thread-locking fluid.

Eureka! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
I went out to the local hardware stores (well DIY stores really since the serious stores don't open on a Sunday) and I established that the thread is M3. I found some zinc-plated steel slot-heads that were twice the length that might form a temporary solution but no spring washers or Loctite so I thought I'd wait until Tuesday when the Yammy dealership is open and give them the problem.

However, my wife came up with a solution without realising it. She was throwing out some cardboard boxes and found a packet of screws in a recent delivery. I had bought two 400 Gb disc drives for a computer backup solution. I didn't realise that the mail order store had thrown a packet of disc drive fitting bolts into the box. These looked about the right size - I tried them and yes, the right thread and the right length. It will get my bags back on the bike tonight and I'll get some Loctite to secure them from the store tomorrow. OK, they aren't the Torx type (these are cross-heads) but it's a solution.

So, if anybody loses their lock screws then the screws that secure a disc drive inside a computer will be an ideal replacement. All you need is a little thread-locking fluid.
Use some your wifes nail polish instead of locktite.

Word of Caution to all 06 owners! I was at a BMW dealer yesterday (only looking for a pair of gloves) and when I tried to open my left side bag the lock unit pulled up through the case and was just sitting on my key. The side bag opened and then I saw the problem. Here the two little screws that hold the latch to the lock had come out. The latch and the two little screws where just sitting on the sidecase. The two little screws surely would have fallen off the bike if I had ridden it much further. I really lucked out in finding the screws there. Without these screws I would not have been able to put the lock assembly together and the door will not stay closed if the assembly is pieces. As it was, the two little screws have the security Allen head feature and all the BMW tech's had gone home already. I hand tighten the screws into place and prayed for the best. I made it home with the lock assembly in tact. I proceeded to take both bags off the bike and took one screw out at a time and put locktite on each screw and retighten the screws. The threads on the screws showed no sign of locktite being used at the factory.
Word of advice. Go to Sears and get a set of security allen bits and a little tube of red locktite and do this 10 minute fix. It will cause you a real problem if it happens to you.
Just had the EXACT same thing happen to me yesterday! Came home from work, went to open the sidecase to get my stuff out, and the lock, lever and two screws were just sitting on the bag. Know they weren't like that when I left work 25 miles earlier. Don't know how long they were out, but lucky as hell I didn't lose any of the pieces parts!

Came here, did a search (novel idea by the way) and found this thread.

Thanks for the tip! I was going to take it to the dealer, but going to Sears and acquiring more tools sounds like a better idea to me!

Just had the EXACT same thing happen to me yesterday! Came home from work, went to open the sidecase to get my stuff out, and the lock, lever and two screws were just sitting on the bag. Know they weren't like that when I left work 25 miles earlier. Don't know how long they were out, but lucky as hell I didn't lose any of the pieces parts!

Came here, did a search (novel idea by the way) and found this thread.

Thanks for the tip! I was going to take it to the dealer, but going to Sears and acquiring more tools sounds like a better idea to me!

This is all laid out in the Bin-O-Facts folks. But worth repeating for people new to the forum as we have had so many sign up lately. I read the Bin-O-Facts occassionally as a refresher and because it is updated every once in a while with useful information.......