06 watts spare capacity?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beal

Reaction score
Used my new Gerbing heated liner yesterday. Very nice!

I'm trying to figure out how much wattage capacity the 06 has. The 06 Bin-O-Facts on the Forum says total watts

is 590 vs 490 on 03-05 models. The 03-05 Bin-O-Facts says that spare capacity watts available is 120 to 130. Does that mean the 06 models have 220 to 230 available? My gloves and liner use over 120 watts on max so not much left if 120 to 130 is all I have.

Any ideas?

Your '06A (not E) has ~200 - 220 watts available. If you are planning on running over 175 watts regularly, strongly consider installing a volt meter in a location where you can keep an eye on it. Search Datel.

Your '06A (not E) has ~200 - 220 watts available. If you are planning on running over 175 watts regularly, strongly consider installing a volt meter in a location where you can keep an eye on it. Search Datel.
Ran my heated vest and heated grip wraps on the weekend, i noticed that the battery tender was still showing red well after her wash and wipe down, when normally it would go to green with in minutes. I think the volt meter would be a good idea, esp with the amount of farkles i still have planned for my '06.

I've had my wife on the bike and we both had Gerbing gloves and vests and had no problem at all. When I got home I plugged into the Batt tender like I always do and light turned green quickly as usual but I didn't time it. I've been riding with the vest and gloves regularly since Nov and haven't had a problem at all.

The peak alternator output is rated at 5k rpm and above. Anything under 5k rpm will produce less than specified wattage. It also makes a difference with high beam use, cooling fan and other variable power users. (If your wearing heated gear, the fan shouldn't be an issue ;) ) A volt meter in easy visual sight lines will help in power management.

Last edited by a moderator: