07A not starting...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about Gen I, but Gen II FJR's will not power the headlights until the engine is started. Apparently this is to conserve battery power and it provides more umph for the starter.

That being said, it still doesn't rule out a disconnected headlight plug causing the problem. There is an obvious connection between the headlights and the engine management computer for the headlights to power up only after the engine starts.

Sounds like the problem may be in the starter circuit.

Try this:

1. Turn the key on and check the voltage at the starter button, you should get 12V to one side of the contacts.

2. Push the starter button and make sure you get voltage to the coil of the starter relay (assuming that it is separate from the starter, some are integrated, not sure about the FJR). The starter relay should also click, indicating that the contacts have pulled in.

3. Now push the button and check the voltage contact side of the starter relay or at the starter itself.

Basically, you are just chasing the voltage through the system.

This should isolate the problem either to the starter pushbutton, the starter relay or the starter itself. If you do not have voltage to the starter pushbutton, your problem is elsewhere.

Of course, you could follow these steps in reverse.

Hope this helps.

Twisty

Last edited by a moderator:
I would first jump the starter solenoid/relay, and if the engine turns over.

Starter Relay? Isn't that up in the nose someplace?
I think it is.

Anyone with a NewGen manual who can confirm? It could be a pulled wire..... :eek:
The starter relay is under the right cowling behind the battery. It is also quite well protected, I can't see how you could pull a wire there without really working at it. Maybe the bike got tipped over, or maybe the problem has been found?

So meester Rocky Mountain High - where you at on this?
So SkooterG gets the award for appropriately guessing my nick!!! Hey guys, work has tied me up tremendously lately. I'll put it back together this weekend (if work doesn't intervene) and give everyone an update. Thank you TONS for all the help!!! You guys rock!!

I've had the gas tank off along with the front fairings, cowl, and headlights. The tank is now on but the other items are still off. The starter won't engage but the dash lights are working. Is there a linked wire from the headlights/fairings that must be connected in order for the bike to start?
The batter has been on a tender so I know it's not a battery issue... why won't the starter turn over?

Weird.
Has anyone metioned fuses?

You could try the self diagnostic system-Put the ECU in diagnostic mode,scroll thru the codes and see if a fault code was set-look it up in the shop manual & it might tell you exactly which wire is disconnected or broken.[see bin'o facts on this forum]