08 FJR R&R Clutch Plate Soak

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folks- my new '08 had some issues with the clutch that I thought a clutch soaking was warranted and almost pulled the trigger on the soaking. But, I kept riding and I guess I don't notice it much anymore (bike has 6K on 'er). But- would doing this anyway be beneficial? Or should I just not worry about it since she doesn't show any signs of an issue anymore (or perhaps... I've just adapted and I don't notice it anymore )
Somewhere in the myriad of clutch threads another member noted that his FJR appeared to become 'worn in' at about 3000 miles. Perhaps there is some kind of sweet spot after which the drive train becomes smoother. Or, maybe, you just get used to it... I'll find out sometime in May or June.
i was waiting for that myself - just shy of 5k now and the situation isn't getting any better on mine.

Let me throw this into the mix. My '04 (although not bad) is like Jekyl and Hyde; snick, snick, snick one time, clunk, snick, clunk another. All this within the same oil change/type/brand. Again, nothiing terrible, but I'd love for it to perform at its best all the time, which it doesn't. And yet again, I'm not complaining, just reporting on how my bike works.

Of course, I don't entirely rule out operator error; though I've been riding for a while now and think I'm doing things right.

Last edited by a moderator:
i hate to drain $10/ qt oil and i don't want to wait 3k more miles to do this.
al
Ten bucks? a freakin quart? Shit man I don't spend that for a gallon..

:jester:
good of you to let me know - now is there anything else (that i could care less about) that you'd like to tell me?

oh and it's $8.75 p/qt to be exact B)

Nah.. If ya let that lil tidbit upset yer Liver, I guess my work is done.

:dirol:

doing it tonight.
i didn't get a new gasket - mine came off in 1 piece and all of it remained stuck to the cover.
road test was interesting - within 5 miles of home i knew this job was well worth the effort - and by the end of a 40 minute run through the local curves - i was totally impressed with my perfect clutch and tranny and the satisfaction factor of my FJR just went up a few major notches today. if anyone is still waiting for their 08 tranny to break in - quit waiting - it won't. you will need to soak your friction plates per these instructions.

FYI - i cleaned the clutch plates (the ones in between the friction plates) really well with acetone and let air dry. i also used a very VERY thin layer of RTV on the bottom half of my original gasket. so far everything is totally dry.

i hate to drain $10/ qt oil and i don't want to wait 3k more miles to do this.
al

good of you to let me know - now is there anything else (that i could care less about) that you'd like to tell me?

oh and it's $8.75 p/qt to be exact B)

:dirol:

some amazing folks you find on the i'net...

S boy, can't let bustanut get to ya, read some of the posts on this site and realize they are in good fun. Relax....

As for the clutch.....I've gotta 04 with the same symptoms, with 25,000 on it. Guess I should do the soak, seeing how I've had the gasket for 6 months now! Some of these clutches have worked in just fine, others haven't. Mine doesn't so much try to take off shifting into 1st, but it does clunk pretty severely and during downshifting at low speeds. (Almost like dropping w/out the clutch. Known for awhile it wasn't right, just to many other things going to worry too much.

Looks like you live at the jumping off point, I'm in the New Bern area. Maybe a ride someday.

bustanut is ok with me - it just looked like he was headed for an oil discussion (out of left field) and i was just trying to cut it off - perhaps it threw him the wrong message and he felt he needed to make more of it than was necessary - who knows?

i'net can get crazy quick - but certainly all is cool on this side.

hey thanks for the input.

bustanut is ok with me - it just looked like he was headed for an oil discussion (out of left field) and i was just trying to cut it off - perhaps it threw him the wrong message and he felt he needed to make more of it than was necessary - who knows?
i'net can get crazy quick - but certainly all is cool on this side.

hey thanks for the input.
Thanks the same, I'm finally persuaded to do mine now!

Just finished pulling the clutch plates for a soaking on my '07. The only difference between mine and the pictures shown for the '08 is where the embossed triangles were located (that the pink marks on the fiber plate dogears go between). Mine were on lower left side instead of upper right side. Otherwise, exactly the same.

Its no wonder my clutch has been so cranky - almost all of the fiber plates were stuck to a fellow metal plate and had to be pried apart - I cleaned off a black, greasy/sticky mess on the metal plates (assembly lube as some have hypothesized?). Most of the fiber plates were bone dry.

It was a piece of cake - hardest part was...well, there really wasn't a hard part. Heck, I tried replacing my headlight bulbs afterward (Phillips X-Tremes, acquired thanks to a recent thread) and that ended up being more of a hassle. :rolleyes:

I'm letting them soak overnight, and will button everything back up tomorrow evening - I'll be sure to report the results.

I sure hope this takes care of it, 'cause I'm getting darned tired of having to pat my head three times, say "how now brown cow" and lift my left and then right butt cheek to get the bike to downshift.

oh and it's $8.75 p/qt to be exact cool.

Firstly, been around here long enough to know aboot oil threads (waste of time) whatever floats yer boat and makes ya happy... works.

I can't see anywhere I attempted to make more of the subject than my usual snide, smart assed response. :huh: That's just me and it works :)

Lets just play nice. I don't wanna chase anybody off to "bluer" places..

Its no wonder my clutch has been so cranky - almost all of the fiber plates were stuck to a fellow metal plate and had to be pried apart - I cleaned off a black, greasy/sticky mess on the metal plates (assembly lube as some have hypothesized?). Most of the fiber plates were bone dry.
I don't really have the symptoms of the sticking clutch except for the occasional clunk into first gear when cold but I thought I might try something to see if the clutch was dragging. While on the center stand and engine off and stone cold, I put it in 1st, pulled the clutch in and tried to turn the rear wheel by hand and it was totally locked in gear, no slip at all. I pulled hard on the wheel and it broke loose and then turned fairly easy, not quite as easy as in neutral, but close. It's been raining here for 4 days so the bike has been sitting in the garage since late last week. It appears that the plates stuck together after sitting so long but once broken loose, felt pretty good. I'm thinking this might be why I get the clunk into first. I think from now on, I'll put it in 1st and pull in the clutch when I roll it off the center stand every morning just to break the plates loose before I start it.

Has anyone that has soaked their plates tried this after the bike has sat for a while? I also wonder if soaking the plates is just a temporary fix and the problems will return after a few thousand miles if there is an inherent design problem with oil circulation. If the plates were actually stuck together and have to be pried apart, it doesn't seem like the clutch would disengage at all. They must be slipping, just not enough due to lack of oil.

I'm still not sure whether mine needs a soaking or not......

I don't really have the symptoms of the sticking clutch except for the occasional clunk into first gear when cold but I thought I might try something to see if the clutch was dragging. While on the center stand and engine off and stone cold, I put it in 1st, pulled the clutch in and tried to turn the rear wheel by hand and it was totally locked in gear, no slip at all. I pulled hard on the wheel and it broke loose and then turned fairly easy, not quite as easy as in neutral, but close. It's been raining here for 4 days so the bike has been sitting in the garage since late last week. It appears that the plates stuck together after sitting so long but once broken loose, felt pretty good. I'm thinking this might be why I get the clunk into first. I think from now on, I'll put it in 1st and pull in the clutch when I roll it off the center stand every morning just to break the plates loose before I start it.

Has anyone that has soaked their plates tried this after the bike has sat for a while? I also wonder if soaking the plates is just a temporary fix and the problems will return after a few thousand miles if there is an inherent design problem with oil circulation. If the plates were actually stuck together and have to be pried apart, it doesn't seem like the clutch would disengage at all. They must be slipping, just not enough due to lack of oil.

I'm still not sure whether mine needs a soaking or not......
the metal clutch discs (between the friction plates) have tiny holes in them which should continue to transfer oil to the tops of the pads on the friction plates - if they are not stuck dry. once i pulled some of my "stuck" plates apart - the tops of pads were bone dry whereas the sides indicated they were getting splashed.

i think this will fix the problem for good - or that's my guess?

oh and it's $8.75 p/qt to be exact cool.

Firstly, been around here long enough to know aboot oil threads (waste of time) whatever floats yer boat and makes ya happy... works.

I can't see anywhere I attempted to make more of the subject than my usual snide, smart assed response. :huh: That's just me and it works :)

Lets just play nice. I don't wanna chase anybody off to "bluer" places..

the more you write - the worse it gets.

but now that i know you a little better - i'm positive we're just 2 typical SOBs in cyberspace. :p

if ever we chance to meet - 1st beer's on me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah...that's pretty much standard issue for 'nut. :)

but now that i know you a little better - i'm positive we're just 2 typical SOBs in cyberspace. :p
LOL!! We all figured that out about 14 replies back. :fuck:

GOOD GOD don't get him liquored up! He's wanted in about 6 states for "stuff" he did when formerly pissed off n00bs bought him beer!

You DON'T wanna know! But I'll give you a hint....if God had wanted us to crossbreed, there'd be a shitload of goats in and around Illinois that look like this:

Face006.jpg

It's a gift :lol:

Ya know awhile back we wuz workin' on a "Dik Klub" Maybe I should rekindle the flame. I mean I can now make "Offical Plaques" for the members ;)

Yer on!! I drink straight from the keg :D :alcoholic:

Face006.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]kinda hard on the eyes there bub...[/SIZE] ya know i had a cut like that after putting a new scope on my 12ga slug gun many years ago - yeowww !!!

The only difference between mine and the pictures shown for the '08 is where the embossed triangles were located (that the pink marks on the fiber plate dogears go between). Mine were on lower left side instead of upper right side.
Dudes (and Dudettes)! How in the wide, wide world of sports could you let me get by with the above stupendous statement? I expected more from you all. I know I'm a noob and all, but how am I ever going to feel at home here if you guys don't tar and feather me for idiotic statements like the one I made above? Geesh. :rolleyes: OF COURSE the embossed triangles on the clutch basket were located differently on my bike than what I saw in the pictures - that clutch basket actually moves in there! Duh!

On a serious note - this clutch soak thing is the bees knees!!!! The results are in from my clutch job and my results are like the many others that have mentioned doing it. I couldn't be happier. I've gone from cursing the bike in German (which I don't speak - very weird) every downshift, to wanting to sleep next to it tonight. It shifts like it should - smooth without any hesitation or clunks, upshifts, downshifts or into first - all smooth. I can actually shift from fifth down to fourth without pumping the clutch lever and revving the engine to get the clutch to disengage!!

If you have any sticky clutch issues - do the clutch soak NOW.