09 is surging bad at altitude, less at sea level

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dasadab

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an '09 that is running poorly. I took it to 8000 feet and it surged and bucked like crazy. I had to basically put it in neutral and coast downhill. I took it to the dealer and he checked the chip and said that it was the appropriate chip and I probably had a bad tank of gas. I explained that I had run through several tanks on that trip to the mountains, so I didn't think it was the gas. Anyway, I only have 2000 miles on the bike even though I have owned it for over a year. The bike has been sitting in my garage with only occassional outings. I have another bike and a scooter so basically the FJR has not been ridden has much as it deserves. Anyway, it is now surging quite a bit, particularly at lower RPMs. After I got home today after riding it to work, I put it in neutral and tried to hold the RPMs at 2000 by keeping the throttle steady. The engine surged and hunted around 1900 to 2100. It just was not at all stable. I also heard an occassional tap or click maybe ever 2 seconds or so. My guess is that I gummed up the injectors with the bike sitting so much in my garage. What to you think? Anyone have any luck with Sea Foam? I don't think its an electrical problem because it was so much worse at altitude. Any help appreciated.

Dean

Yes, I have used Sea Foam with great success on FJRs to remove carbon deposits. That includes direct injection into the throttle bodies and also mixing it with fuel in the tank. It's worth a try IMO.

Yes, I have used Sea Foam with great success on FJRs to remove carbon deposits. That includes direct injection into the throttle bodies and also mixing it with fuel in the tank. It's worth a try IMO.

+1 on Seafoam - GREAT luck with it. Also interesting is the following link:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...20&start=20 (post #27 lists test results of common additives, their effectiveness, and how badly they react with nylon)

Grasshopper some words of possible wisdom. My battery terminal was loose. Similar symtopms, drove me nuts until it finally died and made me pull the panel too really see my problem. Was your battery removed at some point or terminal loosened? Just askin' ;)

My story clicky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.

I have done some electrical work which required adding connectors to the battery. I will take a look and try some Sea Foam.

I am not sure how to add Sea Foam by "direct injection." Any explanation appreciated.

Dean

IMHO, Seafoam ain't going to do diddly for a bike that's only 1.5-2 years old. Especially since it runs ok at sea level. You've got some other problem. Perhaps a bad pressure sensor.

Definitely check your battery electrical connections. It sounds to me like you have an electrical problem of some sort with a sensor and/or the fuel injection.

IMHO, Seafoam ain't going to do diddly for a bike that's only 1.5-2 years old. Especially since it runs ok at sea level. You've got some other problem. Perhaps a bad pressure sensor.
Definitely check your battery electrical connections. It sounds to me like you have an electrical problem of some sort with a sensor and/or the fuel injection.
Sorry if I was unclear. The bike runs terribly at altitude, i.e. have to feather the clutch or its a bronco; and runs just okay at sea level, with surging. At sea level, I could not get the rpms to remain stable by holding a fixed throttle position. It surges + or - 200 rpm at, for example, 2000 rpm. Its ridable at sea level, just far from smooth.

dasadab,

Not sure if you did the Barbarian Jumper Modification to your FJR. This may help with your situation.

https://www.g-mac.net/fjr1300/gen_2_fjr1300_bjm.pdf

Also, since you had your FJR sitting for a long spell, do Check Out the Airbox and make sure you have no restrictions.

Many have found they have Mice, Ground Squirrels, etc making a home here.

Good Luck with your fix....

Not sure how long you let it sit for each time, but I doubt that the TB is gummed up from sitting. The gas is very clean, etc.

- Check your major electrical connections.

- Have you done any repairs, work, eletrcial mods, etc? If so check those.

- Do a diagnostic from your dash.

- Check aircleaner and box for anything that might have made a home in the airbox.

- Are the plug wires fully seated?

- Possible TPS gone bad?

- Take to a dealer.

- Sell to me for $1,000.00.

Good luck.