#1 safety additions to your FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GL4435

Reaction score
I have kept my 2007 mostly stock, with the exception of frame sliders and a G2 throttle, but my question is what additions would you install that is more of a safety orientated addition. I have collected all that is needed to install a highway blaster horn up-grade, and after being forced out of my lane the other day by someone that could not hear my stock horn ... this is going in this weekend. What would you add next?

Some of my first farkles were the reflective bag stickers and flashing brakelights. I consider these both Safety items.

I got the stickers from Alex on this forum Stickers

The hyperlights came from Premier Cycle accesories Hyperlites

fjrrrr042.jpg

Some of my first farkles were the reflective bag stickers and flashing brakelights. I consider these both Safety items.
I got the stickers from Alex on this forum Stickers

The hyperlights came from Premier Cycle accesories Hyperlites

fjrrrr042.jpg
It looks like you installed your flashing break lights with your helmet guardian locks ... I was thinking of that same combination, any complaints about that setup?

It looks like you installed your flashing break lights with your helmet guardian locks ... I was thinking of that same combination, any complaints about that setup?
None at all. My helmet does hit the back of the pipe so I just make sure the back of the helmet is touching and not the shield. So far so good. I just hit 25,000 miles with this set up :yahoo:

I think my bike would be a lot safer if I installed a better driver.

Seems it would ruin the fun though. I guess I'll just risk it as is.

Tire pressure monitor. warns me whenever it lowers by 3 pounds, or when

temp exceeds a set amount. I ride 99% with my wife on back so safety

is no 1 ......

Seriously, the best safety equipment you can add is between your ears. Good attitude, good skills, situational awareness will go farther than any shiny blinky thing. But I like shiny blinky things too. :rolleyes:

In order of priority:

• Visibility and noise farkles (to see, be seen and be heard)
  • Accel/decel and cornering enhancing farkles (to arrive and escape with authority)
  • Comfy farkles (so you and your baby can stay warm and cozy on those long, cold, wet rides)
  • "Where the hell am I and where am I going" farkles (so you'll know you where you've been, where you are and are not, and most importantly where you're going)
  • Glitz and bling farkles (so you'll be the talk of the rally)
Seriously though, the be seen and heard stuff is what I'd go get first. The rest is just gravy.

BackEnd.png

Cheers,

W2

Last edited by a moderator:
Hyperlights or a variant.

I will never ride a bike without them. I've actually seen people who appeared not to be paying attention look at the back of my bike and slowdown.

If you ever ride behind someone, it is impossible not to look at the bike when they apply the brakes.

I agree with all of the above, even the redundant suggestions I've purchased most of them (except the better rider, though many are out there).

One thing not mentioned that at the time I considered a performance farkle, but now consider the greatest safety farkle I have installed: Properly set up aftermarket suspension. The increase in confidence, improved handling in dicey situations, the minimized dive, wobble and other sundry issues compared to the stock configuration, is worth it's weight in gold. Of course, it almost does cost its weight in gold.

Things I do that were not previously mentioned:

FZ1 mirrors. Allow me to easily monitor my 6 at stop lights.

Whelen LED 3rd brake light w/ brake flasher module. (much brighter and more attention getting than most others)

Ride with high beams on in daylight (always)

Wear a yellow helmet (always)

Other things I've done that were previously mentioned:

Alex saddle bag retro-reflective sticker (plus they look cool)

HiViz Jacket (only some of the time)

ATGATT

Ride like the old fart that I am. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything on this thread so far, plus more front end lighting. These show up amazingly well in traffic, day or night--very distinctive. Much improved "chance" of being seen (it's still not a sure thing).

A headlight modulator went on my FJR before I rode it out of the dealer's parking lot. It's not on all the time but sure makes a difference in heavy traffic and other potentially dangerous situations. Makes me a little less invisible.

My 2005 I just bought has air horns on it...sounds like a train! I thought about taking them off but this monring on the way to work someone started to pull out in front of me and I laid on the horn. It really got their attention so I think they will stay on.