100kmi +

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jride

Reaction score
sorry if this has been a topic before. But just wondering who has put that many miles on an fjr and how much maintenance it took (ie. clutch,eng. rebuilds, final drive prob's NOT ROUTINE maint.) to do it?

Not many out there with that many miles because they all tick, are too hot or the CCT fails!

I am afraid mine is only at 56k km's and no issues as of yet.

:)

There are a number that are well over 100K.....er...uhm...less ONE in particular (03silverbullet just totalled his).

IIRC, nothing more than routine maintenance, no major issues.

OCfjr has a thread going about high mileage engines but ascribes his engine failure to a bad maintenance job at the dealer that allowed ingestion of dirt through the injector bodies.

SkooterG has replaced his clutch after a day of slow sped practice in a parking lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not many out there with that many miles because they all tick, are too hot or the CCT fails!I am afraid mine is only at 56k km's and no issues as of yet.

OK maybe 100kmi is unreasonable so maybe I should say 50kmi+

Oh and let me show my ignorance and ask. What is the CCT?

Not many out there with that many miles because they all tick, are too hot or the CCT fails!I am afraid mine is only at 56k km's and no issues as of yet.

OK maybe 100kmi is unreasonable so maybe I should say 50kmi+

Oh and let me show my ignorance and ask. What is the CCT?
I do believe it's the Cam Chain Tensioner

and my '04 has 82k miles and no problems (knock on my head, ahhh, wood)

I would think (hope) that they can go over 100k , as I bought a low mileage 04 to upgrade from my connie (which have a reputation of going 2 to 300k) Don't think I'll ever have the money to replace it, so it better last!

I think it is too soon to decide if the average FJR is going to last over 100k miles. They have only been in the US since 2003 and only the hardcore LD people have the ability and time to ride that many miles in a few years.

With proper maintenance I expect mine to go well beyond that number, but I haven't reached it yet.

27,000 last year and likely another 25,000 this year and at this pace, I will have 100,000 in four years. Routine maintenance so far. Oh and lots of tires. :)

I had 90k on mine when I replaced the engine. My premature ring wear was not a Yamaha issue, but due to a dealer screw up during service, so an aberration. At 90k I had only needed valve shim adjustment once out of three valve checks. I had gone through two cam chain tensioners, the TPS recall, replaced/upgraded the rear shock and that's it.

I just replaced some of the dash lights too. ;)

Most FJR motors will, I believe, last well over 100k. I checked some other bikes compression while trying to figure out what was going on with mine and at 80k or so the FJRs I checked are just getting to the low end of the spec on one or two cylinders. That's not an indication of being worn out by a long shot. Mine was still running decent at 165 psi, well below the 198 psi min. spec for compression, but had some idle issues due to other causes.

FWIW, my stock stator looked great at 90k and was still putting out the same full wattage of a new one. (no aux lights for me)

There have been a few transmission problems, an isolated diff issue here or there and a couple of worn out clutches, but those were generally isolated things, a couple with specific causes not related to build quality.

sorry if this has been a topic before. But just wondering who has put that many miles on an fjr and how much maintenance it took (ie. clutch,eng. rebuilds, final drive prob's NOT ROUTINE maint.) to do it?
I have a 2004 with 109K.

104,000 mile valve check, still within factory specs. No major repairs needed with the exception of rear shock replacement @30K. Wilbers group buy.

Still running original; Wheel Bearings, Fork Seals, although I will replace them (just for the Hell of it) before my trip from Pennsylvania to Alaska in June which should add another 10k if all goes well.

My biggest problem has been my Ass, I am hoping Bill Mayer will have a fix for this ?

John

Just under 68K miles. On the 4th shock (replaced stocker @ ~6K and 30K, and @ 55K went with a GPSuspension Penske rear and new forks springs in front). On the second clutch (@ ~ 45K), had the TPS recall done (~25K?) and the cam chain tensioner replaced (~53K).

I have a 2004 with 109K.

104,000 mile valve check, still within factory specs. No major repairs needed with the exception of rear shock replacement @30K. Wilbers group buy.

Still running original; Wheel Bearings, Fork Seals, although I will replace them (just for the Hell of it) before my trip from Pennsylvania to Alaska in June which should add another 10k if all goes well.

My biggest problem has been my Ass, I am hoping Bill Mayer will have a fix for this ?

John

thanks for all the response.

It sounds as if the FJR will probably be a long lasting bike which does help keep it on my very short list

thanks

john