12 volt power strip on 06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioFJR1300

Reaction score
I traded my 05 for an 06. Now I need to add my farkles to the new bike. Has anyone added a power and ground strip to an 06 yet? I am getting ready to give it a try, but it sure doesn't look like there is room for it where I had it on the 05. Any ideas?

Thanks, Rick

I traded my 05 for an 06. Now I need to add my farkles to the new bike. Has anyone added a power and ground strip to an 06 yet? I am getting ready to give it a try, but it sure doesn't look like there is room for it where I had it on the 05. Any ideas? Thanks, Rick
still haven't done this - but I'm thinking that I will mount two - and both of them in the tray under the seat. One will be switched and one unswitched. Room there for power strips and relays - should run the connecting wire under the tank in heat loom. At least everything will come from one place and should keep the wiring simple.

What kind of things would one want to wire up to an un-switched connection?

I have my powerlet (unswitched) mainly for my battery tender but I can't think of anything else I would need or better yet risk leaving on by accident & draining the battery

I have a blue sea fuse block standing by for an install

What kind of things would one want to wire up to an un-switched connection?I have my powerlet (unswitched) mainly for my battery tender but I can't think of anything else I would need or better yet risk leaving on by accident & draining the battery

Well, I for one would like an unswitched 12v cigarette lighter adapter, for 2 reasons. 1) pumping up the tires with my air compressor when the bike is off (though this is not a big deal) 2) charging my cell phone and/or ipod overnight at campsites. Lock them in the glove box with a cable through the drain hole (or just under the cover). Hate it when I plug in my phone only to realize the next morning that the outlet was switched....

Garmin 2610 does not have internal battery - I would use unswitched for that.

Satellite radio - MIGHT use un* for that

heated vest - definitely un* as there have been too many times that I needed the heat without the bike on - though on the fjr - with the crappy battery, this might not be a good idea.

battery tender connection - so the same un* that is used for the vest

most everything else would go through switched.

Bro, you are better off repairing a flat tire than a bike on fire.

Switch everything and sleep at night with no worries.

BigD.

Oh contrare, mon frair.

I've been using switched and unswitched connections for many hundreds of thousands of miles and never had a problem. If you experience a fire, then your installation was marginal.

Unswitched: GPS, rear Jasteck for use with heated gear and battery tender, memory lead for radio, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I originally wired my radar detector (X50)through an unswitched source. I used the SAE connector that was already there for my Battery Tender. Well, while on a week long trip I left the bike in my brother's garage for two days and forgot to switch off the X50. The battery was low enough that the starter would not turn the engine over and I had to bump start the bike. Now I have the X50 on switched power.

There is not a lot of spare capacity on the battery for unswitched power usage.

Mounted a power plate I bought from Farklemasters I mounted it to the back side of the glove box (relatively easy access) Switched: Autocom, heated grips, heated clothing. Not switched: GPS, PHID's

Yamaha has done a wonderful job at limiting the space available for farkles. I extended the PHIDs and Autocom power and placed them as far back in the tail as I could. I want to keep the deep space under the riders seat for other my pump, tools and other essential items.

Mike

Thanks for all the replies. For the record, I never said that this power strip would be unfused or unswitched. I was hoping to find out if anyone had mounted them in the same location as Warchild's instructions here https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=25

I guess I was not clear in my question. At any rate it looks like a fuse block under the seat is the easiest way to go for now. ;)

Rick

What kind of things would one want to wire up to an un-switched connection?I have my powerlet (unswitched) mainly for my battery tender but I can't think of anything else I would need or better yet risk leaving on by accident & draining the battery

+1

Hope it fits under the seat. I used a barrier strip and individual atc fuse holders on my '04. This time they are going (hopefully) where I can get to them easier. And also (hopefully) some of YOU will have already installed yours and can post some pics of your Blue Sea 5025 install...

My 5025 pos and neg fuse block is on it's way. Now, where's my AE?????

I am also thinking about installing a Blue Seas Fuse Block. Would it wire in the same way (with the relay) as Warchild's installation of the 12 volt barrier strip? :huh:

I have a Blue Seas Fuse Block that I decided not to use if anyone is interested.

Mike

I am also thinking about installing a Blue Seas Fuse Block. Would it wire in the same way (with the relay) as Warchild's installation of the 12 volt barrier strip? :huh:
War Machine,

I plan on wiring it up the same as Warchild's example with the exception of using my old horn wire for the switched hot lead to the relay. Not in use due to using the FJRandy horn wiring harness.

After test fitting both my 12 and 6 outlet Blue Sea, I am leaning more towards the 6.

The 12 will fit with a little modification, but I think the 6 will work for my needs.

(No room for future expansion, not sure if I will need it or not??)

-Garmin 2730 GPS

-Valentine 1

-Autocom

-Audiovox CC

-Smartire

-Rear Powerlet or Powerlet to Givi trunk (future plans)

-Front (right) powerlet wired directly to battery (un-switched) for use with battery tender and wired powerlet to my tank bag. This will power my ipod nano and charge my cell phone.

I think this setup will minimize the taps I need to take off the already limited size of the battery posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple rule. Always use a fuse, even to the fuse box.

Battery in front, fuse box under seat. If shorted in between could be really bad, fire.