2 gen rear suspension service

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm doing the rear suspension lube service on my '09. Bought used with 60000 kilos on it and I'm sure it's never been done. Royal pain what with that center stand bolt that can't be pulled because Yamaha put it in backwards. I have a machine shop and am considering installing zert grease fittings on all the bearing points including the swingarm pivots. I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about doing this. Thanks folks, cheers to all.

I hope you realise that Kilos are a measurement of weight?
At 60000 Kilos you would have a flat bike :)
If you are going to be pedantic...
A Kilo is NOT a measurement of weight. It is simply a prefix used to denote a thousand. It is equally incorrect to use Kilo as a weight (or mass) as it is to use it as a distance (kilogram vs kilometer). (Note: In the first place, Kilogram is a measure of MASS, not WEIGHT.)

To the OP, if you did a good job on the relay arm bearings using a suitable waterproof synthetic grease (and they weren't terribly corroded), it could be a very long time before they need to be done again. In addition, the job becomes MUCH easier if the centerstand bolts are inserted from the other direction.

I hope you realise that Kilos are a measurement of weight?
At 60000 Kilos you would have a flat bike :)

If you are going to be pedantic...
A Kilo is NOT a measurement of weight. It is simply a prefix used to denote a thousand. It is equally incorrect to use Kilo as a weight (or mass) as it is to use it as a distance (kilogram vs kilometer). (Note: In the first place, Kilogram is a measure of MASS, not WEIGHT.)

To the OP, if you did a good job on the relay arm bearings using a suitable waterproof synthetic grease (and they weren't terribly corroded), it could be a very long time before they need to be done again. In addition, the job becomes MUCH easier if the centerstand bolts are inserted from the other direction.
Oh my my, what have I started? I should have said kliks, everyone knows that term. I found the long bearing pin (Yam calls it a collar) in the relay arm with some damage, surface grooved 1/3 way round at one location. I'm ordering one and bearings today. I could likely rotate and reuse it and never know but since it's apart I'm making everything happy. The original (I assume) red grease had become like wax, I picked it out in dry chunks. Installed a zert for the forward bearing which will make future lubing nice. The single u-joint on the shaft drive is still baffling, I checked the drawing and indeed there is only the one, nothing in the final drive housing. How this doesn't vibrate like a coked up squirrel is beyond me, angular deflection causes velocity changes and must be cancelled with another u-joint mounted opposed. Am I missing something here? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Latest posts