2003 FJR w 40k miles - opinion on $4,000 value

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost ready to pull trigger - he will be back in town this weekend. I almost bought a 94 FZR1000 with 12k miles over the weekend - but think I can get the wife riding again on the FJR. 99% sure I will own her this weekend. I am at 3500 feet and not too far from the BlueRidge PKWY so I hope heat will not be issue.

Thanks to all the great information for a newbie! I am ex-Yamaha Tech Rep - left company before the FJR came out. Maybe I can come up with some other mods too. LOL

I agree with everyone... I would offer him 3500-3750.

Motorcycles in general tend to stop depreciating so drastically after so many years. Thus a 2003 in good condition can still fetch a pretty good price.

Buy a $25.00 thermal-heat blanket for under the gas tank, and your roasted-nuts-syndrom will be a non-issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with everyone... I would offer him 3500-3750.

Motorcycles in general tend to stop depreciating so drastically after so many years. Thus a 2003 in good condition can still fetch a pretty good price.

Buy a $25.00 thermal-heat blanket for under the gas tank, and your roasted-nuts-syndrom will be a non-issue.
+1

The blanket did the trick on my 03. One thing I might throw in this thread, the 03 is the quickest of all.

It's priced right, go make a deal and enjoy the ownership of the quickest FJR's ever produced to date.

If the suspension hasn't been refreshed, I'll recommend a set of Hyperpro springs and a new rear shock. Huge improvement over the stock 03 set up and it wount set you back much.

IMHO - One of the best bangs for my buck ever spent on the bike.

I've found no need for the heat blanket. Sure, I've scalded my thighs on the tank through jeans in temps over 95 but if I wear shorts with mesh riding pants I have no issues at all. Proper gear makes all the difference.

Buy it.

Do you realize that EOM (Eastern Owners Meet) is next weekend in Hendersonville, just down the road from you?

Come on over. See more FJRs in one place than you've ever seen. See more farkles than you can afford. Drink Fencer's beer. It's a good time!

I decided along time ago that I wanted ABS on my next motor so I've been concentrating my search on Gen II FJRs. But I came across this 2003 on my local Craigslist which is also listed on ebay which sounds tempting.

5Nb5Ef5H93Ef3Ga3lcc8hc3121c575315126c.jpg

Yamaha FJR1300 ( FJR 1300 A ), 2003, Silver, 30k miles. $4900. 

Bike is serviced and ready to go, all systems works as should. Clean title.

Scratches here and there, but very minor.

Good front tire, brand new rear tire (expensive Michelin Pilot Road 3 with 0 miles on it!).

Many Extras:

DynoJet Power Commander for ignition, L&R sliders, Corbin touring seat, High touring windshield, GIVI Maxia Monokey system topcase (biggest available, fits 2 full-size helmets easy) with extra stop-signal and passenger backrest, standard RAM mount ball for your equipment in the center of the fork, 12V power outlet, L&R extra panorama mirrors, Philips white headlamps.

Comes with 2 standard saddlebags, both have inside liner Yamaha bags. User and Service manual. 2 sets of keys both for the bike and GIVI case. Some oil filters and air filters and other parts, heated grips kit (needs to be installed).

For sale by owner, foreign diplomat leaving US – it’s the only reason to sale.
I suspect the Diplomat may be Russian from the decal on the saddle bags.

5L85G75Ec3Ec3Kd3H1c9i7496908b3dde13da.jpg
Use the links at beginning of post for more images.

This motor has been for sale for over 1 month now so an offer of less than $4000 might just be accepted if he truly is under pressure to sell before leaving the country.

Btw, I highly recommend Baker Built Air Wings. I've been using them since 1990 on a series of Kawasaki Concours to keep more comfortable in Summer heat and Winter cold.

2177027730102652906S600x600Q85.jpg

At $3,750 or so, you are paying about 25% on the new dollar. Not including farckles. If the bike looks good, runs good, this sounds like a fair deal to me. You can probably run this bike for 5 years and still get at least half of what you paid for it, maybe more depending on mileage and condition. Pretty cheap riding in my opinion.

Remember by buying right, motorcycling can really be a reasonably inexpensive way to have fun. Obviously that means buying used and looking for good prices, but it is certainly a reasonable goal.

When I am buying something that is negotiable, I always start out with "what's the least you will take for it", and see what he says. You may be pleasantly surprised on his answer. Depending on what that number is, you can always counter with a somewhat lower price of 5% or so without insulting him. Just counter with your $$ number and wave the crisp benjies right in front of his nose. Cash does really talk.

Guys - looking at a first year FJR1300 that just rolled 40,000 miles on it.
My '04 has 74,000 on it, so an '03 at 40,000 ought to run you a lot of miles ...

Hey, drifter. Your signature says you live in "Brevard, MC."

Am I the only one with no clue as to where MC is?

Hey, drifter. Your signature says you live in "Brevard, MC."

Am I the only one with no clue as to where MC is?
Nope.

Thinking the comment from DJB that he's not sure of your location might have to do with your listing it as Brevard, MC. Is that Brevard, NC, or are you a member of the Brevard Motorcycle Club? :rolleyes:
Drifter, you can change that, you know. It's in your profile. Did you buy the damn bike, or not??

Almost ready to pull trigger - he will be back in town this weekend. I almost bought a 94 FZR1000 with 12k miles over the weekend - but think I can get the wife riding again on the FJR. 99% sure I will own her this weekend. I am at 3500 feet and not too far from the BlueRidge PKWY so I hope heat will not be issue.

Thanks to all the great information for a newbie! I am ex-Yamaha Tech Rep - left company before the FJR came out. Maybe I can come up with some other mods too. LOL
So SmokyMtnDrifter, did you buy this 2003 FJR? Inquiring minds want to know! I love my Miss Lucy Liu and when she passes the 100K mark I will add a second 2003 to my moto stable as her backup, I still firmly believe that the 2003 is the best FJR ever produced.

I live in Phoenix, Arizona which is the hottest large population spot in North America and the heat has never been an issue to me on Lucy, heat is only a mitigating factor to big GEN2 pussies sucking air like HotRodZilla. "Michelle Yeoh" will be my second 2003 FJR!

michelle_yeoh.jpg

Buy it.

Do you realize that EOM (Eastern Owners Meet) is next weekend in Hendersonville, just down the road from you? Smell yamafitter Bill's garlic flavored Polish kielbasa farts!

Come on over. See more FJRs in one place than you've ever seen. See more farkles than you can afford. Drink Fencer's beer. It's a good time!
Fixed.

So, inquiring minds need to know...

Gary

darksider #44
  1. 1987 - Candy Wine Red (the best color, sold w/ 100K on the clock)
  2. 1995 - Luminous Vintage Red and Cosmic Gray (victim of a deer on VA-130 in May 2009)
  3. 1995 - Luminous Vintage Red and Cosmic Gray (insurance replacement for #2)
Huh? I thought both the 86 and 87 Connies only came in 'Silverdammit'.

So, inquiring minds need to know...

Gary

darksider #44
  1. 1987 - Candy Wine Red (the best color, sold w/ 100K on the clock)
  2. 1995 - Luminous Vintage Red and Cosmic Gray (victim of a deer on VA-130 in May 2009)
  3. 1995 - Luminous Vintage Red and Cosmic Gray (insurance replacement for #2)
Huh? I thought both the 86 and 87 Connies only came in 'Silverdammit'.
No, a limited number of '87 Connies were available here in Candy Wine Red. But most of the Candy Wine Red Connies were intended for Canada.

Concours colors through the years