2003 Leaky Fork Seal - 12K miles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tophog

Reaction score
It's been 4 years since I've been here. I had one of the very first 2007's with the infamous altitude surge issue before it became well-known. I ended up selling the bike with 3K miles on it due to Yamaha/dealer not able to resolve or do anything about. This was about 5 months before they announced the ECM fix. I was frustrated and went out and bought a new RT1200 and rode it until last year when I thought I was done riding. Loved the RT for comfort/ride/handling but never got used to the toat-goat engine :)

FFWD 4 years ...got the itch to ride again I just picked up a one owner 2003 FJR1300 with 12K miles. Bike is perfect with the exception of a right front leaky fork seal. It's leaking enough to pool at the top and run down the fork leg. The forks were really dirty/grungy ...don't think the OP was a clean-freak LOL Just detailed the bike today and it looks new again but need to get tires on it and do some general maintenance and resolve this seal leak.

I've read where some have had success cleaning the forks and inserting a thin piece of plastic and running it around the seal? Or should I just pull the forks and have them serviced? 2004 spring upgrade worth it? I'm 6'0 190 lbs.

Since the bike is at 12K I'm changing all fluids, air filter, throttle body sync for piece of mind. Not that familiar with the 03's yet except for the dreaded 'tick' ...but bike runs smooth for now and no tick. Anything I should take a look at.

Spring upgrade is definitely worth the $$$, '03s were very softly sprung from the factory. Instead of just upgrading to '04 springs, contact GP Suspension in Oregon City and have them set you up with a set of Eibach springs. Upgrading to a later model shock will help a bunch too.

I just had the fork seals replaced on my '06 at 47K. Paid the local dealer $128 for parts and labor. If it were me, I'd bite the bullet and replace the fork seals, springs and fluid and have that maintenance piece completed.

Good luck with the bike!

--G