2003 windshield motor........

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it may be the bottom end stop switch is not stopping it and the motor is jamming is too far down. Have you disabled the auto-retract system? Then all you have to do is not set it to full down on your own. There are multiple threads on this and it is easy.
Hey Supertanker,

Phil's auto-retract is indeed disabled. This might be an easy workaround---not setting it full down.

The hard part for my good buddy Phil would be leaving it alone without setting it all the way down...
nono.gif
...it's the ADD...
rockwoot.gif

Shane

In the most Gen1 as mine,the auto retract mode stopped working after some years.Perhaps as supertankerm said the problem comes from the microswitches and can cause both the two problems..If the problem comes from the microswitch it cost about $2-3.I don't know where these microswitches are installed?On the black box on the motor or somewhere else..?Yamaha sells a new part number motor unit as a spare part.They knows the problem..

https://www.gearhead.com/yamaha-5jw-83306-00-00.html#/s/YAM//5JW-83306-00-00/1

Well days ago it was moving up and down the gear just fine , it gets caught up and makes a ticking sound and gets stuck, you got to help it with your hand to move it up and then it will go all the way up . I think it needs surgery.......mirco switches would be a great solution considering the 500 solution. ANYONE know where those micro thingy's hang out?

Well days ago it was moving up and down the gear just fine , it gets caught up and makes a ticking sound and gets stuck, you got to help it with your hand to move it up and then it will go all the way up . I think it needs surgery.......mirco switches would be a great solution considering the 500 solution. ANYONE know where those micro thingy's hang out?
Doesn't sound like a microswitch, if it was a faulty microswitch stopping it, it wouldn't make a ticking sound, it would just stop.

The faulty micro switch FAILED to turn off the motor at the bottom of its travel limit. Thus it stripped the drive gear, leading to the clicking. (assumptions have been made at this point) You MAY be able to move the switch up to the point that the stripped part is not ever engaged. However, that is not likely. On the other hand, attempting this would be free and yield some valuable pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very curious what the heck is going wrong in this @#$@ motor unit and first,the auto retract mode stopped working as mine,and second what can cause the problem in this thread...
rolleyes.gif

The faulty micro switch FAILED to turn off the motor at the bottom of its travel limit. Thus it stripped the drive gear, leading to the clicking. (assumptions have been made at this point) You MAY be able to move the switch up to the point that the stripped part is not ever engaged. However, that is not likely. On the other hand, attempting this would be free and yield some valuable pictures.
I'd sort of assumed the ticking was part way down (or up), but if it's already at one end of travel and ticks trying to move it the other way, I'll agree with you.

I can show pictures of the microswitches for a Gen II, but I strongly suspect the Gen I is very different in design.

It is time to see how and where are these microswitches in the Gen1..
rolleyes.gif
smile.png
And finally what is going wrong with this motor unit...