• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

2004 Project FJR. Should I?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Link assist

With rust in the tank, the condition of the fuel pump is questionable, so factor in the cost of a new one.

As long as the oil was changed prior to storage, the engine internals should be OK, but the hydraulic systems will need a thorough flushing, and possible corrosion damage in the brakes. The ABS block is probably toast. The hydraulic lines may need replacement.

If the battery was removed prior to storage, there should be no battery related corrosion damage

New tires are a must

All I can think of at the moment. Others will doubtless chime in shortly

Last edited by a moderator:
Very low mileage. If it was running before it was stored then it's probably a good project. If it was stored because it stopped running then you could be into a can of worms.

That looks like SS brake lines, someone loved this bike at one time.

Id pounce on it if you don't mind the work.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are a good wrench....why not. Not mechanically inclined... I would find another. Wish I lived near Atlanta. Great project bike.

Should make someone happy. Go for it and let us know as it progresses! BTW I like that color on the FJR

Do what you want... asking the peanut gallery around here will just confuse you.JSNS

Although it has low miles, IMHO it's not worth the effort at that price. Too many issues, tank and fuel pump just gets you started...take a $1000 off the price to consider it.

Just my $.02.

--G

One thing to consider is the paint. You said "project." You gonna flip it for profit, or keep it yourself? You can overlook paint issues if ya keep it, but will need paint work if ya try to sell. That can get costly in a hurry.

I'm guessing that 5k would be top dollar if it was in near perfect condition. If it were me, I would buy it because I can paint it. The whole paint job would cost me 150-200 hundred. Having it done by someone else could be a very different story, depending on this: How much of it will need paint work?

This is something you might not even think of... but should be considered if you plan to sell it for profit.

Gary

darksider #44

If you buy it and end up parting it out, please consider me for the front stay.

FYI, for comparison, I just got an '04, non abs, with 47,000 miles for $2600. It was down on the left, needs some minor plastic repair and 3 parts need paint. The person who custom painted another bike of mine quoted me $300 for the repairs and paint. It also needed a generator cover and the front stay I mentioned. The seat has a minor split that I could live with, but I'm getting the Seat Concepts seat upgrade. It came with a spare windshield, and the factory windshield needs to be polished out ($30 kit by Novus.) All told, I should be into it for a total of around $1000. I believe that $3600 total is a decent price for this bike, but I would not want to be into it for a lot more. Book is just under $5000. Yours is worth a few hundred more "in excellent shape" from a dealer:

Excellent Condition $5,215

when purchasing from a dealer

Remember that the hardest thing on a bike is sitting, neglected, for a long period of time.

I'll be riding mine, not flipping it, so the final cost is less of a consideration than if I was planning to resell it.

Thanks for the words folks! That is just the kind of "hadn't thought of thats", I was looking for.

Not really thinking about a flip, but another one in the garage.

I rode a 2005 FJR for years, now I have a 2013 Concours. Its great, but at the end of the day, like many others have said, the FJR does come out on top.

Have a Happy and Safe New Year!

Thanks for the words folks! That is just the kind of "hadn't thought of thats", I was looking for.Not really thinking about a flip, but another one in the garage.

I rode a 2005 FJR for years, now I have a 2013 Concours. Its great, but at the end of the day, like many others have said, the FJR does come out on top.

Have a Happy and Safe New Year!
Another consideration that hasn't been mentioned even with low mileage that bike could also have a condition of being a TICKER which was a problem with valve guide wear on 04 & 05 models.

Another consideration that hasn't been mentioned even with low mileage that bike could also have a condition of being a TICKER which was a problem with valve guide wear on 04 & 05 models.
In the end, a ticker isn't such a big issue. A ticker typically takes a lot of miles before it becomes noticeable. You can ride a ticker with no concern about reliability. You can ride a ticker until you get tired of putting oil in as it dribbles out the exhaust and it takes a very long time to get that bad. If the valve guides would wear without making any noise you wouldn't notice a thing until it became evident that some oil is being consumed.

On going progress on my project, Rust in the tank is a major head ache i am still over coming.but if you have all the plastics and the skills, go for it! Check out the inside tank photo of before and I will be posting after soon. My current concern is the fuel pump. Keep the updates coming if so. Price too high for just the rust if nothing else, IMHO.

I have had good results on many tanks using cleaning strength vinegar. It dissolves the rust without hurting anything else. I usually dump in a couple gallons and then slosh it around every time I walk by it. It takes a few days but works well.