2005 Totaled - Replaced with New 2011 - Top Box Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAY BIRD

Reaction score
Riding in North Carolina with my son and his buddy. I was riding in the third spot and saw my son's buddy go into a tight right hand turn. I entered the turn and was almost to the apex when to my surprise there laid my son's buddy in the other lane and his bike in my lane. Had just enough time to choose the ride or the bike to hit. I chose the bike,and the impact basicly drove the front end back to the motor. Of course I went airborn over the bike, however only received bumps and bruises. The insurance company totaled the bike. I was going to turn 60,000 on the trip, but that didn't happen.

Oh by the way mine son's buddy received a concussion, bruises, but no broken bones. His bike was also totaled.

Just purchased a New 2011 FJR, and that brings to the question I have. Will the Yamaha top trunk mounting plate for the 2011 model work with the 2005 Yamaha top trunk. If it will I was going to get my 05 top trunk painted to match the 2011 silver and use it that way.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Glad to hear it wasn't more seriously damaging for the riders.

The trunks are exactly the same between generations (with only different paint colors per year) but the mounting plates are different.

You'll need to get Yamaha part number ABA-2D261-30-10 which lists for $116.

Thanks for the concern and the reply. Will purchase the 11 mounting plate and use the 05 top box painted to match.

When I mounted the 05 top box on the 05 bike I had to drill the plastic, it looks like that will not be required

with the 11. Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks for the concern and the reply. Will purchase the 11 mounting plate and use the 05 top box painted to match.

When I mounted the 05 top box on the 05 bike I had to drill the plastic, it looks like that will not be required

with the 11. Is this a correct assumption?
Yup. That is exactly right. The new one is a "no-cut" install.