2006 or 2008

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way, I saw one on Craigs where they neck bearing were changed. Are neck bearings a problem in FJRs?
Not a model-wide "problem", but just like many other items on the bike they do require maintenance- periodic clean, lube & retorque. Some of us have replaced them over the yrs, most have not.

By the way, I saw one on Craigs where they neck bearing were changed. Are neck bearings a problem in FJRs?
Not a model-wide "problem", but just like many other items on the bike they do require maintenance- periodic clean, lube & retorque. Some of us have replaced them over the yrs, most have not.
Replace with [Timken] tapered roller bearings and forget about them.

--G

Thanks guys. I know these are sound bikes, they seem bullet proof from everything I read. I'm a Harley guy that just wanted something a little different. I will always have a Harley because they are so easy to customize, but I need some sport in my life. I considered a sport bike, but at my age 56 they just aren't comfortable. And since I ride solo 99% of the time, a sport touring just seemed perfect.

After a lot of enjoyable research the last year, it came down to the Triumph Sprint and FJR because both offer a lot performance for the price. I eventually chose the FJR because of the drive shaft and and more up right posture. I wanted 2006 and newer because of the heat from Gen 1 design. Heat is a big deal here in Oklahoma because it is not uncommon to be stuck in traffic on a 100+ F day.

So I really won't mind the 06 if I can get a deal I can't refuse, but since I plan on keeping this bike a long time, the 08 is tempting starter.

I really appreciate all the advise. I have a lot more questions.

Beary

Beary,

Research is a good thing. Either year will treat you well. I'm in the 08 or newer camp but I rode over 150,000 miles on a 06 FJR.

Oh, and at 56 years of age, you will be in the younger generation of FJR owners. Okay, average age of owners said the 67 year old rider.