2007 Altitude Surging Problem - Members Wanted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine is the shop (Altus motorsports) right now getting the new ECM put in I will pick it up at noon. I will see how it runs tomorrow as far any differnce in performance. As I live in OK I will not be able to try the altitude changes, but if it is nice next weekend I might run out to Taos NM and try it there which is where I had the worst case of it surging. I plan on checking the RO against the part number given in another post to make sure they got the right one. I hope they did not detune the bike so that it loses performance and economy.

Just had my ECU replaced this morning. I haven't tried it at altitude yet, maybe tomorrow.

One thing I did notice on my ride home is that the bike is noticeably smoother and the low RPM/low speed surging seems almost completely gone. Nice extra benefit...

Just had my ECU replaced this morning. I haven't tried it at altitude yet, maybe tomorrow.
One thing I did notice on my ride home is that the bike is noticeably smoother and the low RPM/low speed surging seems almost completely gone. Nice extra benefit...

That’s just what I was wondering about. Glad to see that the new ECU, in addition to fixing the altitude surging, cleans up the motors behavior some also. :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone with an 06 get one replaced yet since the 06 and 07 ecu part numbers were the same as I understand.

The "smoother lower end" is probably just in your head. Mine doesn't run any smoother, if just doesn't throw tantrums anymore.

I got mine replaced last Thursday, and I had a chance to test it over the weekend. Bottom line is the blubbering/surging at altitude is gone. We did multiple passes above 4500' at a spirited pace and didn't have a single issue. Basically it was an 1100 mile weekend from NorCal to SoCal and back with an ear to ear smile on my face, and I discovered why I bought this bike in the first place.

Quick note: my bike also feels a little smoother with respect to the normal buzzing in the bars, but it still isn't as smooth as it should be at low speeds. I had the same kind of notchiness in my RC51 prior to installing a PCIII. That is going to be my next Farkle added to the FJR.

I want to thank TruWrecks for all of your efforts. It's greatly appreciated.

The "smoother lower end" is probably just in your head. Mine doesn't run any smoother, if just doesn't throw tantrums anymore.
My bike was in the shop only about one hour, not long enough for me to "forget" how it felt.

Rode it some more and it its defineatly smoother.

It used to have a very rough cyclical vibration in the foot pegs at certain RPMs, thats completely gone. Also rolling the throttle off and then on at low RPMs used to produce a significant jerk, gone also.

My left mirror is also less blurry.

I wonder if the new ECU is going to help at all with male pattern baldness or affect my sleep number? :blink:

Kidding aside....it seems like the logjam is starting to break up. I'm sure this big one will take months, but at least it's flowing.

I'll just be damn glad when this topic dies a natural death... and everything's all fixed.

just contacted the second dealer in my area, first just blew me off. THe secone dealer reported back that he couldn't find any Yamaha bulletin on the issue, does someone had the number of the bulletin? I read in an earlier post it was released to dealers on the 12th?

Anyone in the Portland OR area have a dealer that's already onboard and knows anything?

This thread just keeps on delivering the yuks! Complaint->Fix in under 6 months! That's a world record for any marquee yet people still bitch! And don't think it's just because it's a safety issue either. Rear drives dumping gear oil on back tires has yet to stir either the NTSB or BMW to do squat in nearly 6 years of trying.

I called the local dealer and they tried to tell me there was no bulletin on it either, so then I called Yamaha and was told I had to take my bike to the dealer for diagnosis before they would do anything. Like they are going to ride it 75-100 miles to get up to elevation to test it? What a crock!! I guess one thing working for me is the service manager is from the same town where I live, so maybe he'll just take my word for it.

I called the local dealer and they tried to tell me there was no bulletin on it either, so then I called Yamaha and was told I had to take my bike to the dealer for diagnosis before they would do anything. Like they are going to ride it 75-100 miles to get up to elevation to test it? What a crock!! I guess one thing working for me is the service manager is from the same town where I live, so maybe he'll just take my word for it.
Is anyone else running into this problem? This is not good...PM. <>< :D

Is anyone else running into this problem? This is not good...PM. <>< :D
Yep my dealer still claims there is no bulletin. I am going to try again tomorow. I wish somone had a copy of it so I could show them to get this fixed I really want to take a mountain ride before the snow starts here.

THe secone dealer reported back that he couldn't find any Yamaha bulletin on the issue, does someone had the number of the bulletin?
Guys..... the reason the dealers are telling you this is because - brace yourselves - they are telling you the truth.

As of this morning (Oct 15, 2007), there is no TSB or any other announcement on YDS regarding this Altitude Surging issue. This is why many dealers are saying no such thing exists... because it doesn't.

And not every Yamaha dealer is going to be fully up to speed about this problem... y'all should know that by now.

Those dealerships that have been in contact with Yamaha regarding their customer's Altitude Surging problem, they know about it. But if you have the surging problem and have not been to your local dealer about it, and have not discussed this with the Service Manager, then GUESS WHAT?

You do not have a new ECU on it's way to your dealership. They are NOT just being sent to all the dealers in the land, trust me. UNLESS the Service department has been in contact with Yamaha SPECIFICALLY that you indeed have the AS problem and need a new ECU, don't think this is going to be something that just happens automagically.... because it won't.

Many of you don't realize just have much you have your dealerships at an advantage, because you are members of FJRForum.com. We will OFTEN have all the dirt on a situation well before the dealership network does. This definitely pisses the dealers off. And Cypress, no doubt. It makes them both look foolish in the eyes of the customer who does have the correct info.

If you all are "waiting" for a recall or anything of that sort, you're going to be waiting a looooong time. Got the AS problem? Then get to your dealer with it, get it documented, tell them they need to call Yamaha and get this addressed.

Can't wait around to play this mickey-mouse game? Don't want some pimply-face shop'tard to tear into your bike? No problem. Got a spare $545.00 in your pocket? Because that is the retail price for the new ECU that fixes the Altitude Surge problem.

But if you think one's going to drop out of the sky for you, well, you're likely to be disappointed.

Well I am just about to buy one I am just trying to get mama yama to pay for it. If anyone can confirm that an new 07 fixed ecu will work in an 06 that would be greatly appreciated. Also I am in contact with my dealer about my surge issue, (I have been since my first service in May of 06), It is documented with my dealer, and I am being patient I am just trying to stay on top of it.

So what' the $545 retail gonna cost from U Motors?

My bike was in the shop only about one hour, not long enough for me to "forget" how it felt.

Rode it some more and it its defineatly smoother.

It used to have a very rough cyclical vibration in the foot pegs at certain RPMs, thats completely gone. Also rolling the throttle off and then on at low RPMs used to produce a significant jerk, gone also.

My left mirror is also less blurry.

Well if you're referring to less jerky throttle, I would agree. Mine feels pretty much the same as when I bought it (around see level). I'll have to pay more attention to the rest of the behavior when I'm not commuting in the rain. Seattle isn't very bike friendly, for the most part, and when it rains the cagers get even worse!

Cheers.

THe secone dealer reported back that he couldn't find any Yamaha bulletin on the issue, does someone had the number of the bulletin?
Guys..... the reason the dealers are telling you this is because - brace yourselves - they are telling you the truth.

As of this morning (Oct 15, 2007), there is no TSB or any other announcement on YDS regarding this Altitude Surging issue. This is why many dealers are saying no such thing exists... because it doesn't.

And not every Yamaha dealer is going to be fully up to speed about this problem... y'all should know that by now.

Those dealerships that have been in contact with Yamaha regarding their customer's Altitude Surging problem, they know about it. But if you have the surging problem and have not been to your local dealer about it, and have not discussed this with the Service Manager, then GUESS WHAT?

You do not have a new ECU on it's way to your dealership. They are NOT just being sent to all the dealers in the land, trust me. UNLESS the Service department has been in contact with Yamaha SPECIFICALLY that you indeed have the AS problem and need a new ECU, don't think this is going to be something that just happens automagically.... because it won't.

Many of you don't realize just have much you have your dealerships at an advantage, because you are members of FJRForum.com. We will OFTEN have all the dirt on a situation well before the dealership network does. This definitely pisses the dealers off. And Cypress, no doubt. It makes them both look foolish in the eyes of the customer who does have the correct info.

If you all are "waiting" for a recall or anything of that sort, you're going to be waiting a looooong time. Got the AS problem? Then get to your dealer with it, get it documented, tell them they need to call Yamaha and get this addressed.

Can't wait around to play this mickey-mouse game? Don't want some pimply-face shop'tard to tear into your bike? No problem. Got a spare $545.00 in your pocket? Because that is the retail price for the new ECU that fixes the Altitude Surge problem.

But if you think one's going to drop out of the sky for you, well, you're likely to be disappointed.
Are you saying that the people who have already 1) talked to Steve at Yamaha about this, gave him VIN etc.; 2) have already taken their bikes in numerous times to the dealer and complained about this problem; and 3) are on TruWrecks VIN list he forwarded to Yamaha also need to do a fourth thing: have their dealer call Yamaha?

I was told by Steve that people he talked with and the VIN's he had would be taken care of and shipped to the dealer specified. Is this wrong? I have told my dealer about the fixed ECU and to expect a part from Yamaha for me. So far nada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts