2007 Cranks once and then acts like the battery is dead

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So my battery tester was at 12.2 before I started cranking again when I got home. Here are a couple of pics of the tester. I have never done much with it outside of putting it on VA and testing it. I also have a link to a video of it struggling to turn over. I tried it again and after holding for a few secs you can hear it start making a bunch more noise.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7wsxhwt0c83mn1x/AAAeBF2qn1V8Hb-bXwzKGj3Ua?dl=0
12.2 volts on the battery is at a very low state of charge. Be careful, but try jumping with a car battery (without the car's engine running). Just a quick attempt as the car battery can supply enough current to light up the starter if that's the problem. If the clamp-on meter you show can do DC amps, you must check out the starting current (as well as voltage). I still think the starter relay is a good candidate and/or any of the high current connections.

Has the ignition switch recall been done on this bike? The starting current does not run through the ignition switch but maybe it does not supply enough juice to properly engage the starter relay. I noticed from your video that the clock did not reset with the starting attempt.

Edit: I see that there were two other posts while I was composing...

Last edited by a moderator:
... I noticed from your video that the clock did not reset with the starting attempt.
Now that there is a really important piece of information and strongly points to bad wiring or the starter relay.

Backing out of this thread for the moment, take 2.

I'm sorry, I haven't been in front of my computer all day. I tried jumping it off the car battery while off with similar results. I had my brother holding the jumpers to the terminals for a few secs while I was cranking and when I saw a small bit of smoke I told him to pull it off.

I had the battery tender on it all night and something is still wrong. It is a MotoBatt MBT14B4. When I noticed I had the problem on the previous batter I would plug the battery tender plus to it and it would blink red, switch to green for a brief second then back to red. That would keep happening and is happening again now https://www.dropbox.com/s/10rvjerojow22mx/2015-10-08%2017.50.49.mp4?dl=0. When I plugged the regular battery tender to it pictured to the right it wouldn't light up at all. The same thing is happening again with this battery and both battery tenders work on my car batteries and I know have worked for my previous bikes and my brothers bike just a few months ago before he had an accident and lost his bike.

I thought I remembered using the battery tender plus on it earlier this year but I don't remember.

Since last night when I was cranking on it and trying to start it was around 12.2. Now when I put it to the battery terminals I am getting 11.8. I have tried the negative to other parts of the bike and getting the same readings.

I was told that there are no open recalls on my VIN and they may have been done when I had it serviced years ago after a small accident.

I don't really know how to use the clamp on portion of the meter. As I said I borrowed it from a coworker and he told me to put it to VA and test the battery. I can look into how to use it better I guess.

From the video it looks like nothing is resetting on my odo or clock.

I would disconnect the wiring from that battery and connect (ONLY) the battery tender directly to the terminals (Nothing else connected to it) and see if the battery tender behaves as it should ... Id start there to eliminate the battery as a suspect. Do that and report back ...

You battery tender is behaving as if it has failed or as if it is resetting over and over due to a short or other fault condition ...

And (in a previous post) one of the guys was clear that when you jump the bike from a car that the car MUST BE OFF. Please let us know that you followed that advice otherwise your voltage regulator is now suspect as well ...

Let us know thanks ...

Yes, the car was off when I attempted to jump it. I tested the battery tender plus on the battery before I installed it and it was doing the same thing on the replacement as the one I returned. The first test I did was before installing it into the bike as I was curious if it would do the same thing on that battery.

The battery was "new" sent directly from Sun Battery who I believe are the manufacturers of the MotoBatt I had. I sent them the lid and cover of the previous battery before they would send me a replacement. I will try to pull it again tonight after the little monsters go to bed and run it overnight by itself.

Dude!

Stop dicking around with the battery. You have a wiring or starter relay problem. Parallel jump start with car battery pretty much eliminated battery question. 11.8 VDC is just fine to spin the starter motor.

This is going to sound harsh, but sounds to me like you are about to get in over your head. Go purchase some assistance at a dealership and spend your time riding the FJR before the weather turns shitty.

Well, you may be looking at 2 issues here. If your tender behaved that way on 2 batteries, it is likely bad. If you were connected directly to the batteries as you said. With nothing else connected of course.

So, I am assuming that the battery is good. That being the case, you are looking at an internal issue as stated above. And if you are not very savvy with electronics, thanks advice to seek professional help is a good one.

Or, find a local savvy guy from this forum.

It may be a simple thing but hard to troubleshoot via text as we are doing.