2008 FJR Pricing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowcountry Joe

Reaction score
Getting close to the time to purchase my 08 FJR 1300A. Stopped by a dealership about 60 miles from here yesterday and they had one on the floor. I asked the salesman to give me his rock bottom out the door cash price on the bike. He responded, after visiting his office for abt 4 minutes, with his card and a price of $12,724 written on the back. He said that was out the door, and included sales tax ($300 here in SC), Tags ($24), shipping/freight ($300), and his profit ($300). He indicated that he gave me this "good" price because he would like to move the bike before too much longer.

So, I was just interested in some of your thoughts as to your opinion of this deal. Obviously, once ready to really purchase, there may be a little more room for negotiations. But backing into his pricing, this would mean that he is telling me his cost was $11,800 for this bike. I am all for supporting our dealerships, even if you have to pay a little more sometimes. There's lots of overhead involved in running a brick and mortar store these days. I took a look at their service shop and it seemed to be OK visually and I have heard no bad stories at all.

So what do you think? Is he shootin' straight? Thanks, Joe

Getting close to the time to purchase my 08 FJR 1300A. Stopped by a dealership about 60 miles from here yesterday and they had one on the floor. I asked the salesman to give me his rock bottom out the door cash price on the bike. He responded, after visiting his office for abt 4 minutes, with his card and a price of $12,724 written on the back. He said that was out the door, and included sales tax ($300 here in SC), Tags ($24), shipping/freight ($300), and his profit ($300). He indicated that he gave me this "good" price because he would like to move the bike before too much longer.
So, I was just interested in some of your thoughts as to your opinion of this deal. Obviously, once ready to really purchase, there may be a little more room for negotiations. But backing into his pricing, this would mean that he is telling me his cost was $11,800 for this bike. I am all for supporting our dealerships, even if you have to pay a little more sometimes. There's lots of overhead involved in running a brick and mortar store these days. I took a look at their service shop and it seemed to be OK visually and I have heard no bad stories at all.

Dude, that's a good price. I say he is giving you a deal. Bought mine @ D&H in AL for 11,999.00 not including tax,tag,etc.

Dude, that's a good price. I say he is giving you a deal. Bought mine @ D&H in AL for 11,999.00 not including tax,tag,etc.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it!

I bought my '08 for $11,750 (plus tax, title, license, and accessories), which the dealer claimed was his cost, so I guess that your dealer is in the ballpark. Does anyone know where to get actual dealer cost (invoice) information?

Guys...Thanks for all the information on your pricing experiences. I won't be prepared to purchase for another 30 days or so, so hope it will still be there. I have a couple more spotted in two other dealerships that I believe might match this deal in the event this one gets gone. Since all the dealerships are out there quite a ways, I believe my next bit of due diligence is to talk to the mechanics in each of the service depts. Try and determine their depth of experience and particularly how much FJR work they have done. Want to ask some questions about FJR assembly as well. I want to buy from someone that can fix whatever I can't, and have confidence that it's done right. Ride Safe!, Joe

The prices you guys are quoting here are much better than what I'm hearing from the dealers here in the Dallas-Fort Worth. I just spent all morning driving to 3 different dealerships in this 100 degree Texas heat and the best deal I could get was $13,650.00 I guess I need to learn how to negotiate. Would you care to share your technique?

The prices you guys are quoting here are much better than what I'm hearing from the dealers here in the Dallas-Fort Worth. I just spent all morning driving to 3 different dealerships in this 100 degree Texas heat and the best deal I could get was $13,650.00 I guess I need to learn how to negotiate. Would you care to share your technique?
I went in early in February and ordered the first one the dealer was getting. And I negotiated with 5K in cash and was ready to sign. As a former car dealer, I can say this: If you've done the research, and come in with your down payment and are ready to do business RIGHT NOW, most dealers will listen quite attentively. It certainly seemed to get their attention in my case. Didn't pick up the bike until over a month later. But by that time I had already bought farkles (Givi, Zumo, lights) which the dealer then installed for me as part of the set up, for no extra charge, just because I asked.

The fact that I've been dealing with them for years didn't hurt either, I think.

It might be a little harder now, in the middle of the season, with supplies dwindling, and the (seemingly) growing popularity of MCs in general, to get a huge discount. However, keep in mind: you are not just buying a bike, you are 'buying' a dealership. So go to a shop you trust, and would bring the bike back to for service. Every dealer is happy to see their own, less so somebody else's bike. At least that's how it used to work in the car biz.

Wow, this answer goes on for a while. Sorry for my verbosity. :dribble:

Every dealer is happy to see their own, less so somebody else's bike. At least that's how it used to work in the car biz.Wow, this answer goes on for a while. Sorry for my verbosity. :dribble:
Agree in general, try to build the relationship, however, most dealerships will happily take you under their wing even if you bought the bike from somebody else -- the service department is a profit center. When I realized that the service department of the dealership I bought from wasn't that great, the new one I went to had no problem throwing their license plate frame on my bike and giving me excellent service. I would still prefer to buy from the shop I plan on using for service, but if it doesn't work out that way it's not the end of the world.

About the original question of the thread: Great deal IMO, it's what I paid for a leftover 07 this spring. I think he is actually being truthful about it being $300 over invoice.

Latest posts