2009 FJR1300 info released!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think all the remarks about the color is,that they didn't release any info about changes/updates.So color is the only thing that we know about(with the exception of a softer clutch).
If there had been in any changes...they would have been in the specifications tab...and there weren't.

We've been through various releases on the forum and have gotten good at parsing through that section with a fine tooth comb. Hell, this forum even spotted that the '08 pictures was actually an '07 that was Photoshopped from reflections and other clues.

So, no. No other significant changes. Little stuff like clutch, wet vs. dry weights, etc.

I wonder what they consider wet. If it's just gas a full tank of gas would take the 08 to about 624 lbs. Did they add a 17 lbs clutch improvement or are do they include all fluids in the dry estimate. Including the essential fluids in the dry estimate just seems dumb. Either way I think their disguising the fact that all these minor improvements keep coming at a HEFTY price.
I disagree.

Wet is fuel, oil, and coolant.

6.6 gallons + 1.2 gallons + I dunno....0.5 gallons of coolant. Call it 7.8 gallons of fuel at 6.5 pounds per gallon + 4 pounds for the coolant. That's about 55 pounds. Add to '08 specs and you're within a couple pounds...and I'm just estimating.

They did from '03 to '04...and A LOT in '06, but they didn't change appreciably for '09.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out side of the u.s a almost all the motorcycle co . have bikes there that do not come to the u.s and are great looking bikes .It was the first year for harley to send the revamped sporster overseas but you will not see it in the usa . I do not know what the jap and non jap. co . are thinking . Maybe some one has some insight on this matter .I know we have some members from the other side maybe they can explain .

They have a self-fulfilling prophecy that the other bikes won't sell here. To some extent they are right, if you don't import it, you can't sell it. I think some of their cruiser/racer only mentality will change as gas prices continue to remain high and more Americans get out of SUV's and onto bikes and scooters but what will the choices be? 125cc street bikes are way underpowered for our streets and riders. Very few standards or anything else that qualifies as solid daily transportation are imported but constitute a a solid market elsewhere in the world.

What kills me is the lack of an adventure sport market here. If Honda would import the Transalp, I'd be waiting for the dealership to open tomorrow morning. As it is, BMW can't import the F800GS fast enough and the Wee-Strom sells like hotcakes. All the while, Honda and Yamaha claim the market doesn't exist and continues to give us more piggish cruisers and faster super sport bikes.

A little bit of thread-drift going on, here -- but, I'll try to reign it in....

What you're saying 'kurt' all has a germ of truth in it. Still..., the importers in Cali (Hon & Yam) feel they know best how to make a lot of money selling motorcycles in America. And that is CRUISERS -- followed by some tourers (for Honda -- big profits, there); sport-bikes (they can sell new ones every year -- most are totalled); and dirt bikes (moto-x racers -- I don't know why this is?). The real money, tho, is in wheelers -- especially side-by-sides.

Sounds like: BMW (w/F800GS) and Suzuki (w/WeeStrom) already have the adventure-sport market sewn-up? My dealer (where I bought my FJR) had a Trans Alp on the floor for years -- back in the early '90s (when they were new). I don't know what he eventually sold it for -- but, I doubt if there was much, if any, profit (especially, considering all that floor time). I bought a '93 TDM 850 from a Yamaha dealer in a neighboring town who had it on the floor going on 3 years for a much reduced price. After putting thirty-some thousand miles on it, I know why that bike didn't sell -- and I've learned new respect for the marketing gurus in Cali that say which bikes are (or, are not) destined for America.

So, yes, it is a self-fulfilling-prophecy -- to some extent. They (Hon, Yam) are into making money -- not educating the American motorcycling public. To some extent, that may be one of the purposes/spin-offs of the original FJR and the ground-swell of pressure on Cypress to bring it to America (edu?)....?? :huh: :unsure:

Just got off the phone with the local dealer and he stated that the color of the 09 AE is not the same as the 08 AE. He stated that its a little lighter than the 08 but still a silver grey. The interesting part was that their first unit could come late this month if ordered today!?

Anyone else talk with their dealer about 09's in the last day or two (since they got 09 marketing info)?

The interesting part was that their first unit could come late this month if ordered today!?
"could" being the operative word. Memory serves that some units since PDP was abandoned were first delivered prior to the availability date specified on the website, however I think many more were delivered after dealer promises. Regardless, availability of FJRs is far quicker since the old days when FJR riders were tougher. ;)

Anyone else talk with their dealer about 09's in the last day or two (since they got 09 marketing info)?
No need to talk to the dealer on this point. The website linked in the very first post shows the two years as a different color for the AE. '08 is "Granite Gray" while the '09 is "Metallic Titanium/Liquid Silver". Sounds pretty similar...although not quite the same. :rolleyes:

I want the next Gen FJR to have the 2009 V-max motor and the same tank size we have now...200 horses and 5 speed gearbox will do just fine for me.

Do you hear me Yamama?

I want the next Gen FJR to have the 2009 V-max motor and the same tank size we have now...200 horses and 5 speed gearbox will do just fine for me.Do you hear me Yamama?
This is the Force of Yamaha using your administrator Ignacio as a channeling device. He is under our control. We don't talk directly to you usually...and we only hear about one out of 5 things you ask for....and usually just the non-crazy things.

We heard you that you liked the black paint and doing it again for 2009. You're welcome. Probably going to do it for 2010 again too...except we'll probably call it Semi-raven-midnight-metallic or whatever we have extra of. ;)

We also have a crack team of 50 coming up with a new sidestand design that should be out by 2012.

......WTF? Why are my fingers moving? What's going on here?

We also plan on adding turn signal reminders as soon as you all agree if they needs to just blink at you, beep, or send a shock through the seat.

.....must stop fingers.....who's doing this?

Finally, we're going to release a 300 hp version of the bike that's AE only in 2013 (sorry you standard owners...we're dropping your bikes to the French-tuned 140 hp). But, we'll drop the price to $6,000 including a tank that rises, but handlebars and seat that don't move.

.......it's the Yamaha spirit.....they ARE CONTROLLING ME...HELP!

Finally, we're also going to take over this forum and kick Ignacio to the curb and make him administrator of Jo Mama. We're going to replace him with Starcruiser because he's been the head of our AE Engineering and Shifting Department for years. He's up to 152 shifts per second these days.

......Ack! ...the agony! MAKE IT STOP!

And that ticking thing that happened a few years ago. We're sorry. All our fault. We knew it all along. So, we're going give you all new bikes for your trouble...even Skooterg. Just ask Ignacio to PM you details.

......sniff.....snifff......I think I just shart myself.

We'll return control....for now.

Sincerely,

Yamaha

fjr13002009.jpg

I like this one...posted on Faster and faster as supose to be the 09............

Finally, we're also going to take over this forum and kick Ignacio to the curb and make him administrator of Jo Mama. We're going to replace him with Starcruiser because he's been the head of our AE Engineering and Shifting Department for years. He's up to 152 shifts per second these days.
Bwahahahahaha!!! :rofl:

Matt,

You KNOW that's gonna be wasted on the n00bs. :)

Looks like my saving for a new motorcycle account is safe for another year. I sure would like to try that new V-Max though.
You and me both. That change to a black side panel makes the '09 look a little more like it. Could this be the start of "Yamaha, the dark years...."

I am sooooo glad I did not wait for the 09 to come out, I picked up an 08 for $11,790 out the door in Romney WV, 2 weeks ago and they still had a couple sitting there. Put me down for a vote for RED as the next color though!!!!!!!

I want the next Gen FJR to have the 2009 V-max motor and the same tank size we have now...200 horses and 5 speed gearbox will do just fine for me.Do you hear me Yamama?
This is the Force of Yamaha using your administrator Ignacio as a channeling device. He is under our control. We don't talk directly to you usually...and we only hear about one out of 5 things you ask for....and usually just the non-crazy things.

We heard you that you liked the black paint and doing it again for 2009. You're welcome. Probably going to do it for 2010 again too...except we'll probably call it Semi-raven-midnight-metallic or whatever we have extra of. ;)

We also have a crack team of 50 coming up with a new sidestand design that should be out by 2012.

......WTF? Why are my fingers moving? What's going on here?

We also plan on adding turn signal reminders as soon as you all agree if they needs to just blink at you, beep, or send a shock through the seat.

.....must stop fingers.....who's doing this?

Finally, we're going to release a 300 hp version of the bike that's AE only in 2013 (sorry you standard owners...we're dropping your bikes to the French-tuned 140 hp). But, we'll drop the price to $6,000 including a tank that rises, but handlebars and seat that don't move.

.......it's the Yamaha spirit.....they ARE CONTROLLING ME...HELP!

......Ack! ...the agony! MAKE IT STOP!

And that ticking thing that happened a few years ago. We're sorry. All our fault. We knew it all along. So, we're going give you all new bikes for your trouble...even Skooterg. Just ask Ignacio to PM you details.

......sniff.....snifff......I think I just shart myself.

We'll return control....for now.

Sincerely,

Yamaha
Now THAT is the funniest Administrative mockery I've seen yet! :lol:

Must have felt good.

I, too, think Yami did not make any changes this year because Mamma Yamma is putting her efforts

into the Gen III 10 model (as the rumors have been).

I hope the rumors are true (regarding the Gen III getting the New Vmax motor).

If so, SIGN ME UP!

WW

My dirty 08 is the new 09 - and it looks like black IS the new white. I'm not really bothered by the color - I'm getting used to "black" and it's not so bad - but I just hope that the FJR isn't the new ST1300 in terms of what Yam does (or doesn't) do to update it. I'm hopeful that by the time I'm ready to trade it up it's been so updated that I'd be crazy not to.

fjr13002009.jpg

I like this one...posted on Faster and faster as supose to be the 09............
Wow, I'm with you. I like that color combination. It adds a little bit of a sporty edge without being over the top.

Cheers,

Joe

Sort of expected from Yamaha.
They better make changes by 2010 because the 06, 07, 08 & 09 are virtually the same.

That's only 4 model years!! Talk to the people that owned Kawasaki Concours 1000's.

I tell you what, Yamaha could do absolutely nothing (except maybe changing the paint colors every now and then) and it would still sell at about the same rate that is does now. Following the Concours model, they would have to steadily decrease the price tag in later years to lure buyers with the "value" angle, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper to produce an existing model than to continually retool and revamp.

I know Yamaha and Kawasaki have different marketing M.O.'s, but it proves what can be done, should they want to.