2010 FJR and my 4 state ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhb820

Reaction score
Did my first 400 mile plus ride yesterday - CT, MA, NH and VT. FJR handled beautifully and comfort was not too bad. I rode my first 150 miles without stopping. Fueled up the FJR and me and then continued on approx. 225 miles without stopping. My only issue was pain in my back between shoulders. The only thing I've done to my stock FJR was to move the handle bars back. Any suggestions for eliminating this are welcome. Overall, the ride was fantastic. The bonus was enjoying the fall foliage and, for the most part, going the opposite direction of all the other leaf peepers.

A very happy FJR owner!

Google "Master Yoda Riding Position".

That, and as you ride more, and ride longer on a more regular basis, your body will adapt - to both the bike, and the longer riding.

Did my first 400 mile plus ride yesterday - CT, MA, NH and VT.
I had some of the same on my first couple of 500+ mile days.

I found it helped to relax my grip and to use bicycle techniques of bringing my elbows in and work on carrying weight in my core.

I also learned to stretch my left side by reaching back to the left luggage handle, same on the right..I have a throttle lock.

When conditions allow, I also stand on the pegs, bracing my knees against the tank jockey style.

jim

Last edited by a moderator:
My only issue was pain in my back between shoulders. The only thing I've done to my stock FJR was to move the handle bars back.
Is that the adjustment of the stock handlebars? How much does it move it back?

I've been trying to adjust my riding posture (e.g. Master Yoda). That helps some but I'm still getting arm pain. Not sure if I need more retraining to ride the FJR or if I need bar risers.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the first long ride! The fjr is a fantastic bike for distance. That is one area of the country I have never been, but it is on the short list of places to get to!

I have a 2010 as well, and have done the same bar adjustments, and use the stock seat. As far as the shoulder issue, Skooter hit the nail on the head, read that and practice practice practice! Keep pressure on your feet, and be mindful of your torso body position. The reason your shoulders hurt is that you are using your arms to push you off of the bars. If you have to change your body position to take one hand off of the bars, then you don't have the yoda technique down. For me, adding a tank bag added to the awareness of this poor position. If my stomach touches the tank bag, I know I am not riding correctly. Also, I know I'm not riding correctly if my grip feels tight and my wrists feel heavy. I tend to ride with 2-3 fingers on the levers just to make sure I'm not gripping too tightly. It also feels natural to me as I grew up riding dirt and still do, and that is how I was trained(well, maybe not 2-3 fingers, but atleast 1-2). Anyways, pay attention to your grip and arms the rest of the technique will come naturally. Atleast it did for me. As Skooter said as well, the more you ride and the more long days you put in your body will build up to it just like it does anything else. Pretty soon 1,000+ days on the FJR won't feel like anything(except for maybe your butt, that is the one last thing I need to figure out, but a bead seat cover is good for 1,200 miles in 24 hours for me, haven't pushed it further than that yet).

My only issue was pain in my back between shoulders. The only thing I've done to my stock FJR was to move the handle bars back.
Is that the adjustment of the stock handlebars? How much does it move it back?

I've been trying to adjust my riding posture (e.g. Master Yoda). That helps some but I'm still getting arm pain. Not sure if I need more retraining to ride the FJR or if I need bar risers.

Ken
It's not a huge adjustment. The stock position is the middle position and I'd say moving them back moves them back 1/3" or so. Maybe a little more, but it is no where near the adjustment of risers.