2011 Gen 3 FJR 1300 mentioned in Cycleworld

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We will see the three (3) new models via the web or at regional meetings on the 1st of September. My sources, which have always been reliable <_< says the models will be the FZ8 which was released in Europe.... we really need this to go with the FZ6 that is not selling! A replacement for the V-Star 650 which was needed last year, but unsure of the cruiser market now and the Super Tenere! I really wanted one of the Tenere's until I heard the price which I'm being told will be in the range of the VMax which is $19,500!!!!! The Tenere will come via the PDP program and if it comes near the 19K price I would be shocked if they sell more than a couple of hundred of these bikes.

We will see soon..........

Tony

We will see the three (3) new models via the web or at regional meetings on the 1st of September. My sources, which have always been reliable <_< says the models will be the FZ8 which was released in Europe.... we really need this to go with the FZ6 that is not selling! A replacement for the V-Star 650 which was needed last year, but unsure of the cruiser market now and the Super Tenere! I really wanted one of the Tenere's until I heard the price which I'm being told will be in the range of the VMax which is $19,500!!!!! The Tenere will come via the PDP program and if it comes near the 19K price I would be shocked if they sell more than a couple of hundred of these bikes.

We will see soon..........

Tony
I have a feeling Yamaha will dissapoint not just the FJR owners but also the Venture owners . The Vmax is a nice bike but at that price, i`d buy something else.

Hopefully the new generation will FINALLY have the onboard radar and the built-in iphone with automatic texting!

You can tell Yamaha has worked themself into a corner with the Gen2 FJR. Now that all the bugs and complaints are fixed, now how to make a flawless bike better. If the new bike has the before mentioned heated grips and seat and maybe a power outlet, that would set the bar for all outher Jap brands.
...and a 6th gear...

:ph34r:

If they completely redo the FJR like they did the Vmax, get ready for a Vmax type price. I would have liked to bought a new max, but after seeing the price, I went out and bought an old school 95 model to complement my FJR.

GP

Tony, good info and these three make the most sense and would be consistent with Yamaha's current position and problems in the market. The FJR isn't that far out of the hunt in the sport-touring class and if they could hold the price steady, I think it could soldier on for a few more years, in the old Concours mold.

They're out of their minds if they try and price the S10 much beyond the R1200GS, and I'm talking Honda DN-01 out of their minds. I'm not saying that GS is necessarily a better bike and the S10 appears to have a lot of appealing features, but it must be, at a minimum, competitive with the GS on price. A thousand under and I think you'd sell quite a few.

We'll see....

- Mark

Pretty much all the manufacturers are setting their prices in the realm of Harley and BMW. But the good side is there are some new models available,even in this economy! I imagine with good wages and benefit packages,modern factories,robots,etc. It is pretty expensive to build a motorcycle today.

I wonder what color the '11 FJR will come in?

Perhaps some variant of Silver, Blue, or Black?

You can tell Yamaha has worked themself into a corner with the Gen2 FJR. Now that all the bugs and complaints are fixed, now how to make a flawless bike better. If the new bike has the before mentioned heated grips and seat and maybe a power outlet, that would set the bar for all outher Jap brands.
...and a 6th gear...

:ph34r:

And of course, this nifty new technology. Probbly best if they go back to Galaxy Blue, too. :)

Tony, good info and these three make the most sense and would be consistent with Yamaha's current position and problems in the market. The FJR isn't that far out of the hunt in the sport-touring class and if they could hold the price steady, I think it could soldier on for a few more years, in the old Concours mold.

They're out of their minds if they try and price the S10 much beyond the R1200GS, and I'm talking Honda DN-01 out of their minds. I'm not saying that GS is necessarily a better bike and the S10 appears to have a lot of appealing features, but it must be, at a minimum, competitive with the GS on price. A thousand under and I think you'd sell quite a few.

We'll see....

- Mark
Man, I'd love to have a Super Tenere, but if the price is as mentioned here, I won't be getting one. It may just be me, but I'm not buying a bike for $19,000, adding about $3,000 in farkles (panniers etc.) and then trashing it in mud and rocks. I'd get a cheaper D/S bike for that duty. I'd make the S10 a great sport tourer. But why replace a great or even better sport tourer like my FJR with the S10 for a lot more money for that duty? For me it just won't happen. For those who want one really bad, I'm glad you will get your chance.

doctorj

I wonder what color the '11 FJR will come in?
Perhaps some variant of Silver, Blue, or Black?
Well Yamaha still has several thousand`s of gallons left over of , Dark doodie brown (roadstar color) , light doodie brown (v-star color) , & light pea green (venture color), but they do still have some sweet pearl white left over. :rolleyes:

Looking to purchase either a new FJR or 2010 Concours latter this year. Prefer the FJR looks and handling, but the smooth power & tranny of the Concours. If Yamaha does come out with a new & improved (and hopefully lighter) 2011 FJR, when would that be?

BobSled

Looking to purchase either a new FJR or 2010 Concours latter this year. Prefer the FJR looks and handling, but the smooth power & tranny of the Concours. If Yamaha does come out with a new & improved (and hopefully lighter) 2011 FJR, when would that be?
BobSled
Don't hold your breath on a revised FJR...if it does need refining.

Just choose between the models you see now would be my guess.

If Yamaha does come out with a new & improved (and hopefully lighter) 2011 FJR, when would that be?
hell.jpg

jesus......almost 20k for the tenere? I was hoping it'd be closer to 15 so it'd actually be an alternative to the 1200GS. The tenere won't be able to compete with the BMW. It's too established and is the benchmark of the class. Why would people try to save like $500 and not get the benchmark of the class? The tenere is a behemoth too so it's not like it's any more nimble than an R1200 either.

Bah!

As for the FZ8 it is a wicked machine. New forks, new(ish) engine, new brakes, new swingarm. It is a wicked version of the FZ6 but a lesser version of an FZ1. They should phase the FZ6 out.

tee hee....pun intended! Get it? Phase/Faze?

*giggles uncontrollably*

*falls out of desk chair*

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't hold your breath on a revised FJR...if it does need refining.
Just choose between the models you see now would be my guess.
You bring up a good point. The existing bike is pretty damned good. The only real reason for a Gen III is the moto-mags. Many times the moto-mags are accused of bias, and they are biased, but their main, over-arching bias is toward newness, and the moto companies are forced to upgrade otherwise perfect motorcycles because the moto-mags can't sell magazines that continually rehash old models. Would you buy a magazine with the cover story, SHOOTOUT 2006 FJR, 2006 ST1300, 2006 Concours? They've already written a version of that story. One mag recently refused to include the FJR in a comparo because, they said, it was too old. They didn't say it was non-competitive in the class, and they didn't say it wasn't a good value. They said it was too old. (At least they were honest.)

Yamaha is caught between a rock and a hard place because of their financial bind. They can't afford to bring out another new, limited-sales niche bike at a reasonable price (see the nearly $20,000 Super Tenere), but the moto-mags (which are the prime source of new-bike advertising) won't cover the old models regardless of how good they are.

It's all very ugly.

The question then becomes:

would people buy a new C-14 because its new and shiny over a superior but older FJR? I wouldn't. I know this because I'm looking for a used FJR. But if I could only choose from a 2007 FJR and 2010 C-14 for the same price, I would still be getting the FJR.

Status
Not open for further replies.