2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have the Alaskan boys screwed the pooch?
I can only see one of the three... he's back in the US, but well west of all the others. He's liable to make it to Buffalo in time.... doubtful he has that much leisure time to go after capitals... and if he does make it, suspect he will look like hammered horse-cock upon arrival.

If he's lucky, maybe there won't be an heavy-duty academic exercise waiting for him in Cheekwonga... :lol:

Like Jeff says, Oregon is the problem, but you'll be heading that way on the last leg for capitals (Salt Lake City ?) anyway.
Paul, you were missed at the start this year. They even had blue raspberry soda available at the banquet.

I need to point out something about Oregon though with regards to Leg 3. That's only an 87 hour leg where they will need to hit AR, TN (could be done on Leg 2), and AZ as well. This would likely mean that any rider would be getting up to Oregon late on Thursday if they are trying to get capitols like, say Nashville and Austin while they are at it. 12 hours from Oregon to LA isn't a problem but they'll have to clip over to Needles/Toppock on the way to Ontario just to get the AZ receipt.

Now look at a map of where the would be trying to get a receipt at that time in Oregon. Now find the cities of Klamath Falls and Burns. Draw a line between them. There is no 24 hours gas in Oregon southeast of that line. Lakeview rolls up the sidewalks at night. So what about an ATM receipt as proof? A rider may be able to score one of those 24 hours in Lakeview or Jordan Valley, but certainly not Denio, Rome, or Fields. Aside from that those towns there ain't jack in SE Oregon other than cattle, deer, sagebrush, rabbits, and chukars.

Now if they skip Oregon on this leg, they will obviously need to get it on leg 3 or they are DNF. In that case, I think they would need to hit AZ in the four corners (UT/AZ/NM/CO) region and bypass Denver. Maybe if they've got Alaska in the bag, it will be worth it. Maybe not.

And 4800 points in the bag from AK is 4800 points the rest of the field doesn't have. Provided they don't sacrifice any states on this leg, they'll hold a big edge. That's the question.

Pass the popcorn.

RIDER HELP NEEDED!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: Handled!

> Help needed, if you can.......>

> If anyone has a Garmin 2730 that they could provide for Chris Sakala

> in

> the IBR rider please contact me off line at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

>

> Thanks for helping.

>

> Nancy Collins

>

Last edited by a moderator:
And John and the almost new :yahoo: Triumph is staying with the back of the pack. I would have lost money on my side of that bet.

Go John Go!

John has become my Turbo Dave from the last run.

RIDER HELP NEEDED!!!!!!!!!!!!

> Help needed, if you can.......>

> If anyone has a Garmin 2730 that they could provide for Chris Sakala

> in

> the IBR rider please contact me off line at 301-873-1294.

>

> Thanks for helping.

>

> Nancy Collins

>
I don't have one but...

I'm in Cincinnati, and in the direct path to NY more or less if they have to get KY on this leg. I also am planning to ride up to the Checkpoint.

I'd be happy to pick one up and deliver it and/or meet someone en-route if possible or necessary.

I've communicated that to Nancy as well.

-MD

Hi folks, I signed up yesterday so that I follow this amazing commentary on the rally. Love all the banter and the insight being given by Dale etc. This is most definitely required reading, just hope my boss doesn't realise my productivity has gone down the pan lol.

I'd be happy to pick one up and deliver it and/or meet someone en-route if possible or necessary.

I've communicated that to Nancy as well.

-MD
Thanks, but, 'lo, the power of social networks! Chris Sakala is handled (within 30 minutes! ;)

We have located a Garmin 2730 for Chris. Thanks to Jerome Byrd who will meet him at the checkpoint in Buffalo.
Thanks alot.

Nancy Collins

Wonder how the weather will be affecting pace and route choices for those further north?

62220111110cst.jpg

Hi folks, I signed up yesterday so that I follow this amazing commentary on the rally. Love all the banter and the insight being given by Dale etc. This is most definitely required reading, just hope my boss doesn't realise my productivity has gone down the pan lol.
Productivity? What is that? ;)

Yes, a very cool thread and very enjoyable! I'd love to get into something like this in the future. Thanks all!

Welcome, Little toe..... keeping an eye on John Young and Frazer Phil? ;)

I was just looking at the picture of the Passport book pasted on the Iron Butt Magazine page on Facebook, and that thing is a work of art. It would be nice if the riders get them back when it is all said and done.

I joined up last year here when I came within a hairs breadth of getting an FJR after totaling my FZ1. Ended up back on an FZ1. Still want an FJR though of course. I'm enjoying following this and trying to keep the folks over on the FZ1 board updated on Fazer Phil's progress.

I was just looking at the picture of the Passport book pasted on the Iron Butt Magazine page on Facebook, and that thing is a work of art. It would be nice if the riders get them back when it is all said and done.
Yes, the riders get to keep the Passport books after the Rally.

Steve

Iron Butt Magazine

www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine

I also signed up to follow these nuts. Great fun so far and we have another week to go. Obviously there is a lot of interest in this- the Spotwalla page is on pace for over 250,000 views!

I really like to see the guys that stray from the slab. Not sure if it's a good idea but it's fun to see a rider in the middle of nowhere- DP, 340.

I was going to take the truck up into the woods this weekend but suddenly feel a SS1K coming on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.