2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just talked with DaJuice he's having some trouble with his ear plugs irritating his ear canals. I've never had this issue so I was no help. I've heard of others with this problem but didn't pay attention to the solutions. Anybody have any advice?
When Iggy had this problem he used Neosporin to lubricate the plugs. Helps to heal things and still allows a good seal.
That sounds like a plan.

I guess Vaseline (petroleum jelly) would be effective too, but without the anti-bacterial component.
Vaseline is a BIG no-no. It will actually help to cause an infection. Neosporin, no plugs, or changing to other plugs. Maybe all of the above as needed.
I just hung up from DaJuice as he pulled into a Walgreens. Hopefully this will do the trick, thanks everyone.

I stand corrected :)

I have no idea why Vaseline would be a problem, it is routinely used in situations like that, but not a point I would argue.

Get the Neosporin :)

I am not handling this very well. Suspect I may have to take a break from here for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neosporin! Iggy's trick worked for me. In 07 I was using Oto-ease and my ears hurt like hell for weeks after the IBR. I almost went to a doctor. In 09, I used the Neosporin and no problemo. Most likely part of the reason as mentioned above is it now has a topical pain reliever. Amazing that what doesn't bother you in a 2 or 3 day rally will come up and bitch slap you upside the head after ELEVEN FREAKING STRAIGHT DAYS ON THE ROAD.

As, for Ken, fuck! What a tragedy. That just ain't right.

My condolences for Ken's family. I never met him, but it sounds like we lost a good one...

On the IBR side, spotted an IBR Feej wheeling towards Raleigh on my way out of Raleigh after a long, hot ride. 90+ and humid, funtimes.

I just talked with DaJuice he's having some trouble with his ear plugs irritating his ear canals. I've never had this issue so I was no help. I've heard of others with this problem but didn't pay attention to the solutions. Anybody have any advice?
If possible, I'd tell him to leave them out for a bit to give the ear canals a rest. Having them in for that long a period of time isn't surprising that they would be irritated. Not sure what type of plugs he's using but perhaps a smaller size (i.e. foam) if he has a chance to stop at a store... good time for a receipt?? :)
Mine irritate the crap outta my ear canals when I don't trim my ear hairs.

baby oil, even olive oil can give temp relief.

Tragedy at the Utah 1088

I am stunned to report that we have lost my good friend Ken Morton last night.

I believe he was returning from the Cheektowaga Checkpoint and was on I-80 in Nebraska, when reports indicate he hydroplaned on standing water, and hit a guardrail, killing him instantly.

Thoughts and prayers to his wife Lisa, please.

I shall light a candle for my Brother tonight.

Mother fucker.....

Sickens me to no end.

It's in my backyard. If there's anything I can do for them please PM me for my contact information. I don't need to work tomorrow.

Rick - I've had the ear pain problem before, both on the BL4 and our Hyder Trip. My suggestion would be to carry multiple types of ear plugs and switch them daily. It works for me. Should he be stopping for fuel somewhere near a hardware store or sporting goods store that sells shooting supplies, he could probably find a couple different options to try.

Sorry to hear about Ken....

As for the ears. I typically wear some custom molded ones that I got from my ENT. I agree that after long use they bother me and that is why I keep a handful of the cheap foam ones on the bike. I will switch over to those as needed. I like the Neosporin option though. I will have to try that next time.

Tragedy at the Utah 1088

I am stunned to report that we have lost my good friend Ken Morton last night.
Speechless and numb is how I've been since hearing this early this morning. As Ken and Lisa live a mere five miles from our place we see each other frequently and Ken and I have spent many miles on the highway together, including a return trip from St. Louis four years ago after his 2nd IBR finish. We shared a room in Seattle last weekend at the IBR start and pondered his routing plans for the 1088, and then rode home in what has now become our last ride together. His 1088 ride was going so well, and it sure as hell wasn't supposed to end like this.

Keep Lisa and Ken's son Sam, and his extended family in your thoughts and prayers. Godspeed my moto-friend. :bye2:

KeninNV.jpg
I'll be quiet for a while too. I built the saddlebag racks on that Tuono, so yeah, Ken was a good friend. In addition to doing all his tire work, I'm at least partly responsible for nurturing his then-budding LD riding addiction ten years ago.

Like Dale said...

Mother fucker :cry:

This hurts.

Prayers and strength to his wife Lisa, son Sam, and brother Craig in this time.

News about John Coons from his wife's post on the Team Strange forum...

Just thought I would update you guys quickly: John made it safely to Rochester today about noon. He is in the ICU for tonight with hopes of transfering to the floor tomorrow. He is sore, but doing alright. Thanks again for all the good thoughts...we appreciate them! He is hoping to have access to a computer tomorrow so watch out! Oh and yes as Sean said, he was asking for a beer, so things are on the mend!

Google has Jacksonville to Key West at 8 hours 43 minutes. If they have that third corner in the bag prior to the leg three start they will really clean up on capitols.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.