2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are riders as of 6:50am PDT.... all streaming to JAX with haste.... B)

7_650.jpg

Of the 12 riders* on the public SPOT page that scored Madawaksa on the 2nd leg the only one that had a shot at Key West was 930. The next closest Madawaksa rider to the check point is 879 who is still a long way out.

*According to my scribbly notes from Saturday morning.

Well, since Tom Austin outed him on his Day 7 Report, I can tell you now that the sole Key West player for Leg Two is Jim Frens... he appears to have scored the Key West photo, and is starting the long crawl back up to the Florida mainland.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quoting yourself.....I guess the riders aren't the only tired ones. Understandable.

Oh, I see now you omitted the word "Appears", so I assume you KNOW he has the needed photo.

If I'm reading between the lines correctly, 4-corners isn't going to work for anyone that tries for KW on leg three. The capital bonii must increase exponentially tomorrow.

Well, since Tom Austin outed him on his Day 7 Report, I can tell you now that the sole Key West player for Leg Two is Jim Frens... he appears to have scored the Key West photo, and is starting the long crawl back up to the Florida mainland.

Jim Frens is a smart, smart rider, and one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Go Jim!

I talked to Jim a little over an hour ago, he is doing pretty good considering the ride he is undertaking. he was just getting the bonus when we talked. He then needs to cover approximately 500 miles to the checkpoint before the 5:00 pm window. Bob St. George

Oh, I see now you omitted the word "Appears", so I assume you KNOW he has the needed photo.
No, I don't. Pretty sure he will have the correct photo, though, or... that was a loooooong ride for nothing.

If I'm reading between the lines correctly, 4-corners isn't going to work for anyone that tries for KW on leg three. The capital bonii must increase exponentially tomorrow.
They don't have to increase exponentially. They may, but it could simply be that there are so many State Capitols many miles from the base route, that there could be 5 or 6 carrying 1000 point each.

It seems that the best route was likely to have been to grab Oregon and Blaine early, mop up the northern States and get Madawaska on Leg 1. Then down the Eastern seaboard grabbing Key West on Leg 2. On Leg 3 a route that gets all those southern and western State Capitols that will carry high points, finishing with San Ysidro for the 4 Corners.

Alaska was the sucker bonus, but not so sucky for anyone who could get it, with Oregon on Leg 1, then get both Madawaska and Key West on Leg 2. If they had any energy left they would be as free as anyone to get the big Capitols on Leg 3, and they wouldn't need many.

So now I want to know where Peek and Meese are, and whether or not the four hour delay has screwed Ken Meese.

Cletha Update:

She is still on the road... she's currently in that big group in Georgia right now. There are folks in the Jacksonville checkpoint with a fresh 525 chain waiting to slap it on her bike upon her arrival.

This was just posted on FACEBOOK: from Brian Jack

Unfortunately this is not the Leg 2 check in that it should be. The transmission is failing so I'm out of the rally and stuck in Charleston, WV. I am safe and I have help here. More details to follow.

My riding buddy, John Huval, a.k.a. "Sparky" will be at the Jacksonville checkpoint in about an hour. He's going to take some "action" photos of the arrivals which I'll post up later. He just called me and said he has his truck so if anybody needs a lift to run errands or just help in general, let me know and we'll hook you up.

This was just posted on FACEBOOK: from Brian Jack

Unfortunately this is not the Leg 2 check in that it should be. The transmission is failing so I'm out of the rally and stuck in Charleston, WV. I am safe and I have help here. More details to follow.
I wondered about the poor soul in WV...I was hoping it was a simple case of forgetting to activate the SPOT :

EDIT:

ouch...he's on a BMW...

They don't have to increase exponentially. They may, but it could simply be that there are so many State Capitols many miles from the base route, that there could be 5 or 6 carrying 1000 point each.

It seems that the best route was likely to have been to grab Oregon and Blaine early, mop up the northern States and get Madawaska on Leg 1. Then down the Eastern seaboard grabbing Key West on Leg 2. On Leg 3 a route that gets all those southern and western State Capitols that will carry high points, finishing with San Ysidro for the 4 Corners.

Alaska was the sucker bonus, but not so sucky for anyone who could get it, with Oregon on Leg 1, then get both Madawaska and Key West on Leg 2. If they had any energy left they would be as free as anyone to get the big Capitols on Leg 3, and they wouldn't need many.

So now I want to know where Peek and Meese are, and whether or not the four hour delay has screwed Ken Meese.
Replying to myself now :)

Alaska riders who get Key West on Leg 3, rather than the punishing schedule for Leg 2 might still be very handily placed. They can probably afford to miss out Carson City and Sacramento, because the Alaska bonus should outscore those two handily. Maybe there is another up there they can miss two. Dunno, I haven't seen the Capitol listings.

So, both Peek and Meese might still be in Pole Position, even having to go to Key West tomorrow, depending on which Capitols they did scarf on Leg 1 and 2.

It gets tricky :)

I am only discounting Sinclair because he HAS to go to Oregon to finish, so he may skip Key West and try for all the big Capitols on Leg 3.

Does this make any sense at all?

Twigg <-- Steep Learning Curve!

Nancy Oswald was in Kentucky and headed for Virginia at 3:14 am.
Miss Kitty seems to be taking a different approach than the field. Hopefully she read the pre-rally banquet packet very carefully. Tom's report hints there will be some real surprises in the Leg 3 listings. Go Nancy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.