2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gah, I'll be driving for about 8 hours tomorrow, no way to follow along. This really is epic stuff, I love the format. Incredible push to the finish.

By the way, this last snapshot I took does not tell the whole story of the Key West players.... I count at least 16 riders down there on the staff Spotwalla page, some are only now reaching the photo stop on Key West itself... :unsure:

8_845.jpg

British fans: The Triumph of John Young is among that lead group in the lower Mississippi/Louisiana area. The Yamaha Frazer of Phil Weston is back on the Florida mainland.

Last edited by a moderator:
British fans: The Triumph of John Young is among that lead group in the lower Mississippi/Louisiana area. The Yamaha Frazer of Phil Weston is back on the Florida mainland.
Go Slippery Sam!

Last edited by a moderator:
Random thought: Things are looking up for Roger Sinclair because his need to get Oregon should force him to ignore 4-corners. He's still got a long ass ride to pull it off but the points available may be in his favor. If Meese goes for Key West, I look for Roger to leapfrog over him in the standings. Jim Frens may still jump over everyone.

Warchild - Is there any way we can get public spot views on Frens and Meese? If not can we get some periodic location updates on them? Clearly one of these two guys is going to win this thing.

It would seem from your previous comment that Austin, Denver, Carson City and Sacramento combined could be worth 5,000 to 6,000 points. This would suggest to me that Meese needs 4 corners and at least 2 of the big nut capitols to keep his lead over Frens.

If Meese abandons 4 corners I doubt he can keep his lead on Frens.

This is way cool. B)

Jeff - is Keywest plus a couple of big nut capitols doable in your estimation?
Here's something I wrote on that subject back on Day 2.

Which leaves KW on leg 3, which I don't like. KW and San Ysidro on Leg

3 with only hitting the required states is an ok distance for the

available time. Adding Denver and SLC to that is still possible but

beyond current record pace. Adding Carson City puts the pace up into

the sketchy Hyder-on-Leg1 realm, but now it's leg 3 (problem here is

one needs to back track to get Arizona). Further addition of

Sacramento brings this leg average requirement up into crazy land when

one considers how slow it is getting in and out of Key West.

Touche, thanks for that. Meese has got his work cut out for him.

Touche, thanks for that. Meese has got his work cut out for him.
Also recall that Meese missed KS, MO, and KY on leg 1. He may have gotten KY on Leg 2 but the others remain unvisited.

I wonder what the points for Santa Fe are..I just read they are closing up the labs in Los Alamos, which appears to be only 35 miles from Santa Fe. Anyone know how far spread these fires are and how it might effect the riders ?? NM stands right in the way of Arizona, unless they head north before the fire area. Any thoughts anyone ?

Willie

Warchild - Is there any way we can get public spot views on Frens and Meese? If not can we get some periodic location updates on them? Clearly one of these two guys is going to win this thing.

It would seem from your previous comment that Austin, Denver, Carson City and Sacramento combined could be worth 5,000 to 6,000 points. This would suggest to me that Meese needs 4 corners and at least 2 of the big nut capitols to keep his lead over Frens.

If Meese abandons 4 corners I doubt he can keep his lead on Frens.

This is way cool. B)
Ken Meese would usually be smart enough to abandon the Four Corners and go get the high value State Houses. He has a shorter ride than jim Frens and has had more rest.

If he went to Key West last night, and I don't know, then the balance might swing towards Jim Frens.

Ken has a 4000 point lead over Jim Frens, and he should be able to get 800+ points MORE than Jim on this Leg.

It's still Meese or Peeks to lose.

:lol: OMG we are watching the IBR participants some of whom are watching us!!!
Some may be trying to glean what their fellow competitors are doing from all of our posts here....
I'd think they'd need rest more than trying to wade through the muddled mass in this thread! :)
If ya need this thread mucked up, jus lemme know.....

I have high friends in places....
Like Kyle Busch looking to the spectators for spotter help.

I wonder what the points for Santa Fe are..I just read they are closing up the labs in Los Alamos, which appears to be only 35 miles from Santa Fe. Anyone know how far spread these fires are and how it might effect the riders ?? NM stands right in the way of Arizona, unless they head north before the fire area. Any thoughts anyone ?

Willie

Getting the capital building in Santa Fe from I-25 should not pose any problems.

Riders that are thinking of heading north from there on US-285 will likely encounter delays. Riders heading to the 4-Corners area to pick up CO and UT would find dropping down I-25 to Bernalillo and US-550 a faster ride anyway. US-550 is four lanes wide for most, if not all, of its distance to Bloomfield.

(Note: I own property in Santa Fe, so I have some local knowledge)

Ken Meese would usually be smart enough to abandon the Four Corners and go get the high value State Houses. He has a shorter ride than jim Frens and has had more rest.
If he went to Key West last night, and I don't know, then the balance might swing towards Jim Frens.

Ken has a 4000 point lead over Jim Frens, and he should be able to get 800+ points MORE than Jim on this Leg.

Jim has to add about 250 miles total to add San Ysidro, and get the 4800 points for the 4 corners, right? How many miles does Ken need to add to get KS, MO, and (maybe) KS? Add the 4C points, and Jim has an 850 point lead over Ken. I think Jim will pull it off.

Willie

Getting the capital building in Santa Fe from I-25 should not pose any problems.

Riders that are thinking of heading north from there on US-285 will likely encounter delays. Riders heading to the 4-Corners area to pick up CO and UT would find dropping down I-25 to Bernalillo and US-550 a faster ride anyway. US-550 is four lanes wide for most, if not all, of its distance to Bloomfield.

Jeff .... Do you know whether or not Meese and Peek abandoned the Four Corners, or did they go to Key West?

Willie

Jeff .... Do you know whether or not Meese and Peek abandoned the Four Corners, or did they go to Key West?
I heard one rumor via another list that Meese went to KW on this leg, but nothing more than a rumor.

I'm in the dark on this as much as the rest of y'all.

Jim has to add about 250 miles total to add San Ysidro, and get the 4800 points for the 4 corners, right? How many miles does Ken need to add to get KS, MO, and (maybe) KS? Add the 4C points, and Jim has an 850 point lead over Ken. I think Jim will pull it off.
It seems to be working out very well balanced as a Rally.

Ken had a monster ride on Leg 1

Jim had a monster ride on Leg 2

They are effectively dead heated right now.

Ken needs more points on Leg three than Jim, and Jim is knackered starting Leg 3

I'd say the IBA got this one just about right :)

Status
Not open for further replies.