2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
***FJR Rider needs assistance - near Flagstaff/Kingman, AZ***

Hey folks, just got off the phone with one of the IBR FJR riders who is having trouble. He has a bent front rim from a pothole and is having trouble keeping air pressure. If there is anyone out there with either a front rim/tire that can be put on his FJR, or another bike he can use to finish, please contact me @ 520-426-3965. Details are still coming in, but it looks like he is somewhere between Flagstaff and Kingman, AZ.

Frens will take it. With all 48 states, the 4 Corners, and beau coup capitals, Jim will take the Big #1 Trophy. Sorry, Ken.

Very, VERY strange to see so many riders here already.... in past IBRs, they would rarely be in the day before the Checkpoint opened.
Do you think that says something about the format this year? The fact that so many riders could do what was required to be a finisher, and be at the final check point so far ahead of the deadline?
I don't think it's positive or negative. I think the reason for this is because of the non-traditional format this year. Thinking about other rallies, both the IBR (which I've never done), and others (which I have done quite a few), it's not unusual for there to be a number of smaller bonus locations scattered around a checkpoint or the finishing point. Because the bonuses were for the most part either states or capitals of states, this wasn't the case - once you made it to CA, you're there, and the capital is a long way off. As such, once a rider is close to the finish, there's nothing else to pick up close by, so you might as well head for the barn. I don't think that this implies that this rally was any harder or easier than others - just different.

Frens will take it. With all 48 states, the 4 Corners, and beau coup capitals, Jim will take the Big #1 Trophy. Sorry, Ken.
That's bold :D

Do you know something specific, or are we still playing?
Is it over, did I miss it?

Just trying to get some more opinions.
Well the other opinion is this:

Ken will win. With the Four Corners, Alaska and just enough high value Capitals. Sorry Jim.

Truth is, I have no idea. It's too close to call without inside info, and even insiders might not know yet.

This was a great rally to internet spectate. Kudos to Dale and all the vets for making this Rally Central. And congrats to all the riders, especially the finishers.

Now....what the hell am I going to do? Work.....???? Damn.....

Hey folks, just got off the phone with one of the IBR FJR riders who is having trouble. He has a bent front rim from a pothole and is having trouble keeping air pressure. If there is anyone out there with either a front rim/tire that can be put on his FJR, or another bike he can use to finish, please contact me @ 520-426-3965. Details are still coming in, but it looks like he is somewhere between Flagstaff and Kingman, AZ.
Any word if he got a wheel and is back on the road?

John Young made it into the Checkpoint in Ontario around 3:00 am. This news is from a post on the LDRider list.

Bob St. G
[nods] Yep he's there. I just had a text conversation with him and he still has his sense of humour. Mind you, he had to have had a very well developed sense of humour in the first place to attempt the IBR on an old nail like that.

Just waiting for Phil now who looks like he's going for that 4th corner.

Kevin

At 9pm local time

spot-friday.jpg

At 5am local time

spot-friday01.jpg

John Young, CONGRATULATIONS!

Job well done. You have represented Old Blighty very well!

Legendary!

More info from various sources.

At 1am CST, a broadcast for rider help went out.

We know about the Kingman tire problem of one FJR rider but I've not heard an update since the call for help went out.

Hey folks, just got off the phone with one of the IBR FJR riders who is having trouble. He has a bent front rim from a pothole and is having trouble keeping air pressure. If there is anyone out there with either a front rim/tire that can be put on his FJR, or another bike he can use to finish, please contact me @ [redacted]. Details are still coming in, but it looks like he is somewhere between Flagstaff and Kingman, AZ.

Nancy Oswald is in... on a replacement bike for her R1200GS BMW. It'll be interesting to hear that story.

John Young on his air-cooled 1969 Triumph Trident made it to the finish around 3am local time! (see temp reports below)

Remember the comments about furnace-level heat that riders would face as they left CP2? One of the rally staff reported his findings as he rode (a more direct route) between CP2 and CP3.

104 as I came by the Alpine [TX] turn-off

106 in El Paso [TX] Wednesday

104-105 Thursday coming into Ontario, CA

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.