2013 Daddy-Daughter Moto Adventure!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
Daughter Lauryn and I have attended World Superbike Races in Salt Lake City for the past three consecutive Memorial Day Weekends... but for 2013, WSB doesn't have a SLC round scheduled. No problem... Lauryn and I will just do a different Memorial Day Weekend moto-adventure this year.
bling_cool.gif

The Plan:
We depart Washington state on Friday, May 24 at 6pm, ride straight through the night thru Oregon, to arrive at Anderson, CA by early Saturday morning. There, we will have Rick Mayer fix this ate-up, POS factory seat on the GenIII. Since this will be a non-stop, LD-style-all-thru-the-night blast to Anderson, CA, we'll surely be tired upon arrival and will just hang at Rick's that evening after he does his magic to the FJR saddle.

Then, the next morning (Sunday, May 26), Lauryn and I will get up and outta there early to go frolic and play all day on the various awesome NorCal twisty roads between Red Bluff and Susanville, before blazing to Fernley, Nevada to hang with Brian Roberts and PuppyChow for the evening. The final day (Memorial Day Monday), it's a 700-mile dash back home to West Richland.

Well... that was the plan, anyway.....
unsure.png

Here is Lauryn, checking her tires on her mighty, mighty Kawasaki Ninja 500 right before departure:

airTires.jpg

A Daddy-Daughter self portrait, after topping off fuel before getting in the road, 6pm Friday evening, May 24:

initiallFuel.jpg

The ride throughout the night was okay until about 3am, when we were passing the exit for Crater Lake, when out of no where the temps plummeted down to 26 degrees Fahrenheit!!
weirdsmiley.gif
:weirdsmiley:
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
I soon found myself hovering over the factory heated grips like they were two small campfires.

Poor Lauryn was just dying on her Ninja, since it has absolutely no fairing for her to hide behind. She folds herself up and tries to become one with the tank-bag. No heated grips, and her Warm-N-Safe liner can only be lit up 50% on the Heat-Troller, due to the marginal alternator output of this 19-year-old Ninja. We manage to tough it out and once we are near Klamath Falls, the temps rise to a respectable, if not balmy, upper-30's.

Now, it's well after 5am, and has been light outside for quite a while as we pass into Dorris, California right at dawn. The rising sun is something a frozen daughter appreciates, and we pause at the classic Mount Shasta Vista Point on HWY 97 just north of Weed, CA:

Shasta.jpg

We ride pass Shasta mountain, and just as we are leaving the Dunsmuir area, Lauryn hails me on the Sena bluetooth intercomm to say she is recognizing the signs that she needs to get off the road for a bit. After 490 miles of night-riding in freezing 20's temps over southern Oregon, Lauryn is just too smoked to continue. Most fortuitously, there is an exit less then 1/4 mile later... Soda Creek Road. No services, no traffic, little more than an off-ramp/on-ramp that was was devoid of any traffic or noise. Perfect.

It is around 7:30am, and she takes a 30-minute Combat Nap at the Iron Butt Motel. No pussified picnic tables for this Endurance Rider: just lay a towel down to protect the helmet finish, and sleep on ASPHALT, baby!
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif

IBMotel.jpg

Around 8am, I kick Lauryn awake before she slips into REM sleep, and she awakens a totally new woman, ready to ride! We stomp the remaining 60-ish miles to Anderson, jump off the bike and pound down a quick Starbucks latte, then roll up to Rick's place around 9:30am:

RMC_sign.jpg

As I discuss with Rick what I would like to see in this new saddle, a still-thawing Lauryn tries to soak up more heat from the sun:

MayerSleep.jpg

It was pretty unfortunate about our exhausted state, as I wanted to photograph the creation of this new saddle, but I was about punch-drunk from fatigue myself. Rick watched me stagger around the shop a few minutes before leading me to a massive hammock in his side yard. I thought I would lay down for just a few minutes... shyeah, right!
lazy.gif

The next thing I know, it's approaching 1pm, and Rick already has the new saddle finished! Dammit...
fool.gif

Check out the results.... for comparison purposes, here is the stock 2013 FJR1300 seat:

stockseat.jpg

And here is my new Rick Mayer saddle..... AWESOME!!!!!

mayer1.jpg

Check out the precision seam work, all done by hand....

mayer2.jpg

While this saddle does have the classic little "wings" toward the rear of the seat to provide ample support, it is not the monstrously large wings like the Russell had. Perfect, and exactly what I wanted... a large enough area to move around on the seat while underway, yet at the same time, no huge-ass wings that have a tendency to get in the way when I want to get jiggy in the uber-twisties:

mayer3.jpg

I immediately put the seat to the test the next morning, as Lauryn and I head out to Red Bluff to jump on Hwy 36. Rick accompanies us for a couple hours, and we stop to grab a bite at a cafe in Mineral, CA, and snapped off this pic:

laurynrickdale.jpg

After this shot, Lauryn and I head out to the NorCal hinterland, trying out as many twisty roads as we can.... and we stop frequently to stretch and take on water. Here, Lauryn takes a break from her sta-puff marshmallow clothes at a nice pull-off somewhere on HWY 172:

norcalrest1.jpg

We continue on for another couple hours, and then kick back for a bit to rest at a rare paved pull-off on HWY 32:

norcalrest2.jpg

We motor on, and come to a crossroads decision.... Reno, or Quincy? Hmmmm... Reno, or Quincy...

reno_or_quincy.jpg

Since it's starting to get on in the afternoon, we decide to take the Reno route, which returns us to HWY 36. We dash around the high mountains for a while before taking a final rest stop at a Forest Service Road, still high above Susanville:

norcalrest3.jpg

We blaze the rest of the way to Reno and on to Fernley to hang with Brian Roberts and PuppyChow for the evening. Brian has the grill already started, and it was a grand time to hang with friends. Brian takes a cursory look at weather.com, and indicated we could experience a little rain tomorrow after we leave. Shouldn't be too bad, he says.

Pity it didn't really work out that way....
unsure.png

Monday morning at 5:45am, Lauryn is ready to bust ass for 700 miles:

lauryn545underway.jpg

Unfortunately, weather proved uncooperative. It started to rain hard by the time we reached Gerlach an hour later, and did not stop... for the next 11 hours!!
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif

Worse, it appears that the rain has fried Lauryn's electrical system on her Ninja! We stopped to refuel at Cedarville... the Ninja's starter would not even hint at moving. She did have instruments and lights, so I tried push-starting her... varroom, started right up, yea!

Had to push start her several times after that, but after yanking her headlight fuse for the rest of the trip, the bike's paltry 238-watt alternator was able to charge up the battery to where the bike could start itself again by later in the afternoon. Still, this meant no Warm-n-Safe liner for Lauryn all the way home, and between the temps and the incessant rain, it kinda marred this last day of the trip.

Here we are punch-drunk smiling from 9 hours of rain, cold and fatigue.... but smiling nonetheless, because we are riding motorcycles.....

punch-drunk_rain_smile.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya know, this is awesome. But I used to think you were the tough guy. Nuh-uh. It's Lauryn. No fairing coverage, the shittiest seat in all creation, no electrics and freezing temperatures.

That girl must love you. :D

Ya know, this is awesome. But I used to think you were the tough guy. Nuh-uh. It's Lauryn. No fairing coverage, the shittiest seat in all creation, no electrics and freezing temperatures.
She comes from tough stock....
bling_cool.gif

Still, no question she had it much, *much* rougher than I did!
sad.png

That girl must love you.
biggrin.png
Yes, she does...
biggrin.png

Hope the Ninja has healed itself?
As it turns out, the electrical system was okay, just overwhelmed by Lauryn's use of the Warm-n-Safe liner. She is supposed to keep the Heat Troller set no higher than ~ 50%-60%, and we suspect that in her frozen state, she cranked the Heat-Troller to the max, and the piss-ant 17-amp alternator just couldn't keep up.

After running several hundred miles to thoroughly recharge the battery, the Ninja would start up again with no problem. I slapped a voltmeter on her battery the next morning just to be sure - she's pushing 14.1v at 3000 RPM, which is within spec.

No pictures of the Claw? I am disappointed.. :p

Great to see you two - never a dull moment with you two around! :)

Dale,

Just an FYI ... WSB is at Laguna Seca this year in the fall. Sept 27-29. Usually some pretty good weather that time of year in the Bay Area and along the coast.

Regards,

Gary

Dale,
Just an FYI ... WSB is at Laguna Seca this year in the fall. Sept 27-29. Usually some pretty good weather that time of year in the Bay Area and along the coast.

Regards,

Gary
Really? I did not know that... but that's a bit too close to Gerlachfest anyway... :(

Great RR. I love the seat, looks like what I need. The big wings tend to affect my stumpy legs so I've shied away from them as I use my bike for commuting. I'll be interested to know how you like it as you rack up the miles on it. Also, looks like you uphold the thinking that ugly parents make for good looking kiddos. Congrats on a fun weekend with your young-un even if it didn't go as planned!

Good times that will stick in both of your memory banks for a loooonnnnngggg time! B)

BTW, what happened to you windshield? It looks like you took a bite out of it in one of the pics... ;)

BTW, what happened to you windshield? It looks like you took a bite out of it in one of the pics...
wink.png
He forgot to pack power bars.

Awesome ride report - she's a monster. Hope she doesn't start competetive rallying :lol:

Good times that will stick in both of your memory banks for a loooonnnnngggg time!
cool.png

BTW, what happened to you windshield? It looks like you took a bite out of it in one of the pics...
wink.png

Are you referring to this pic?

laurynrickdale.jpg

Look how the shadows lay in this pic.... what you are seeing is the shadow produced by the helmet chin as it sits over the top edge of the windscreen...

Yup that's the one... and now that you explained it, that makes sense... ;)

Good times that will stick in both of your memory banks for a loooonnnnngggg time!
cool.png

wink.png
Are you referring to this pic?

laurynrickdale.jpg

Look how the shadows lay in this pic.... what you are seeing is the shadow produced by the helmet chin as it sits over the top edge of the windscreen...

Latest posts