2013 Iron Butt Rally - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A lost SPOT sounds reasonable. Either that or the Powers-to-be don't like it when we speculate about whether there are or are not any ferries in Nova Scotia.
smile.png

126 has just now morphed into 115. Honestly, why do they feel it's necessary to change a rider's # 3 or 4 times daily? I would think by now everyone has long since lost track of who or where any particular rider is long before now. Makes it quite less enjoyable trying to keep track of any anonomous rider's progress throughout the day.
Changed four times by Noon EDT. I lost count of how many times it's changed throughout the day.

126 has just now morphed into 115. Honestly, why do they feel it's necessary to change a rider's # 3 or 4 times daily? I would think by now everyone has long since lost track of who or where any particular rider is long before now. Makes it quite less enjoyable trying to keep track of any anonomous rider's progress throughout the day.
Changed four times by Noon EDT. I lost count of how many times it's changed throughout the day.
I'm guessing they're changing it because there is a reason that it needs to be changed... :D

126 has just now morphed into 115. Honestly, why do they feel it's necessary to change a rider's # 3 or 4 times daily?
In Rally Central no one can hear you scream ! !

Why do they do it?

They do it because they can
punk.gif

It has been mentioned on the LDRider list that it seems everytime a particular number starts being discussed that the numbers get changed. Because this particular rider was out away from everyone else a number change wouldn't really confuse observers so may be that signal was just removed from the public page.

Also, I thought a Spot has to be reinitialized at the end of each 24 hours. May be this rider is not one of the many shown in Tobie's pictures with reminders about their Spot and forgot to initialize their signal for the next 24 hours.

If someone withdraws, is their Spot turned off / removed?

See a couple of riders going across Rte. 4 from Vt. to NY. Ooof!

A lost SPOT sounds reasonable. Either that or the Powers-to-be don't like it when we speculate about whether there are or are not any ferries in Nova Scotia.
smile.png
Let alone give ferry times and discuss optional roads!!! WTF We could all lose our seat to the show!

any time a number is identified with a rider they change the numbers. it's intentional. if you've figure out a # associated with a rider, keep it to yourself or it'll change again. this is for rider privacy and to prevent "teams" at keyboards from giving advice on the whereabouts of other riders, ferry schedules, alternate routes, and potential traffic jams. It's meant to be a solo effort by each rider.

If changing the number doesn't do the trick then it goes private.

Last edited by a moderator:
I often wonder if the riders know there is rider staying in a motel /hotel/inn only blocks away in the same town. I have no idea how much conversation goes on between the contestants.

I often wonder if the riders know there is rider staying in a motel /hotel/inn only blocks away in the same town. I have no idea how much conversation goes on between the contestants.
There is a row of three motels in the Upper Peninsula. Last night, each of the three had a motorcycle parked outside and I wondered if each of the riders knew the other two were there.

They were probably too tired to even care.

Also, I thought a Spot has to be reinitialized at the end of each 24 hours. May be this rider is not one of the many shown in Tobie's pictures with reminders about their Spot and forgot to initialize their signal for the next 24 hours.
The Spot II automatically resets the 24 hr clock if you send an OK or Custom message.

The Original Spot works as you describe.

Jeff

2008 ST1300

IBA #208

Reading past ride reports I'm always amazed at how often riders will have chance encounters with another participant when the field is spread across the continent.

I don't have any stats to back it up but I've been monitoring the IBR for the past four rally's and it's my impression that with the ever-increasing use of onboard computer/gps nav-aids, the randomness is diminishing...meaning that it's more and more likely that the riders will encounter each other as their computer generated directions are arriving at the same or very similar solutions. The IBR rules for teaming up (and penalties for doing so, depending on circumstances) are becoming more and more elaborate. It's gotta be a pain for the rallymaster to try to sort out which riders are teamed up on purpose and which are teamed up by similar computer plots. There's a not-insignificant part of me that longs for the 35 page rally packet and a bunch of riders with Rand McNally maps and lipstick directions on their windscreens.

It will be interesting to hear the tales of the First Leg. Warchild indicated that large bonuses were available for rest stops of up to 8 hours. If that is true for all three nights, it might constrain some of the riders who would be tempted to put in very high miles. I said "some", clearly not all. Without sight of the points values it's very hard to tell.

Only five riders, we are told, went to Florida, and according to the Public Spot Page, not many went to Prince Edward Island. Some of the riders we can't see may have done .... but it does leave most of the field choosing from rather fewer than 69 Bonuses listed, and with Detroit being so popular, then meeting up is going to be inevitable. Looking at the string of bonuses between Pittsburgh and New York, and the current spread that we can see, the run in is clear for many and they will be tripping over each other all day.

It's weird. On this Rally, at least so far, encounters have probably been common, yet in other Rallies I have ridden 1000 miles in a day, collecting bonuses, and rarely seen another rider, even when the rally was all in one State.

A "back to basics" rally does have a certain appeal, but mastering the technology is just another skill to learn, and despite tracking, multiple GPS units and bonuses on a flash drive, the same riders regularly top the lists because you still have to plan, and you still have to ride the plan.

In 2 IBR's I seldom saw other riders but then I could route for shit and still can't. You would run into a pack of riders at something like Perce Rock where a tide table and distance determined arrival times, or the HD Museum or Buell Factory where the IBR Staff placed those bonuses at a certain point in the rally. As a middle pack rider when time and rally bonus protocol say be there at such a time you will run into others.

The top riders in 2011 and 2009 often rode very similar routes and had to get major key bonuses to finish well. The seeing the bonus plan that other riders can't the best example being JIm Owen on Leg 3 in 2009 blowing out of the hotel within minutes of getting his bonus pack. His fast departure allowed him to collect a high point bonus that everyone else was essentially time barred from getting by not taking the bold move of getting on one's bike and riding to get the one bonus that most riders would miss by the time it took to get one's route planned past the kkey bonus that has serious time limits.'

I expect when the bonus listing comes out that we will likely see a lot more than just clustered bonuses and from watching spot I wonder if riders collected a lot more bonuses than we have though that they did .

The hardest thing for me in the IBR was typing the bonuses into excel and then into the mapping program. Top riders like Jim Owen and Jeff Earls were so fast at data input and after Jeff showed us his method at the National Meet I realized that my serious lack of typing skills were a significant detriment to my riding the rally.

I still think we are going to see mileage up as high as 3,700 - 4,000 for a few riders

Regarding riders at motels - sometimes you know who it is, sometimes you don't. You can tell a rally bike from a non-rally bike. Any rally bike you see out in the area of bonus collecting is highly likely another IBR rider's bike. If you know the person/bike, you know who it is. As for 'bumping' into each other, it's fairly common, but if a particular rider changes up the 'base route' that lots of riders are doing, he may not see so many riders.

In 09, I recall having a small concern that someone was going to think Chris Sakala and I were riding together. We definitely were not, but we bumped into each other A LOT on leg 2 and even at the start of leg 3. Especially when it's a 'one road in' kind of place, you'll pass other riders going in the opposite direction fairly frequently. It's okay to be in the vicinity of another rider for a string of time, it's bound to happen. But looking at the bonus collection results, it's fairly easy to see if people are truly teamed up. In 11, I had such a ridiculous plan that I hardly ever saw another rider.

One other thing, I believe (but could be wrong) that there was ONE rest bonus offered, not one each night.

Still looking for a Zumo 550, for a couple who is having touch screen issues with one of theirs. If you're going to be at the checkpoint and have one that could be borrowed until the finish, let me know!

Saw a couple of riders on Belle Isle this morning...the Grand Prix track? Probably not there to tag the abandoned zoo or aquarium, I suppose. It's been tempting to go hang out on a highway over pass and cheer as riders go past...maybe this is what it is like to be a fan of the "ball sports"?

smile.png
Let alone give ferry times and discuss optional roads!!! WTF We could all lose our seat to the show!
This.

For instance, a number of riders have grabbed some rest in Sudbury just a few miles from me (Oddly enough, they've all chosen the same no name motel!). A bunch more have 'come into town' for fuel, a side trip of about 30 minutes. I could suggest a fuel stop that is much closer to the hwy (5 min), that for some reason, doesn't appear on Garmin's POI's. I don't know why, it's been there for years. I've ridden out an intercepted some forum friends who were doing IBA rides and led them there in the past, but NOT for the IBR.

Gaining that knowledge would present a pretty significant time management advantage. Best bet, STFU and watch the show as it unfolds.

Status
Not open for further replies.