2013 Iron Butt Rally - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still looking for a Zumo 550, for a couple who is having touch screen issues with one of theirs. If you're going to be at the checkpoint and have one that could be borrowed until the finish, let me know!
I sent you an email regarding this through the ldrider list.

-Paul

Sleep Bonus: I do believe there is only one this leg... but it has sizable points that make it quasi-mandatory if you want to do well.

JIm Owen on Leg 3 in 2009 blowing out of the hotel within minutes of getting his bonus pack. His fast departure allowed him to collect a high point bonus that everyone else was essentially time barred from getting by not taking the bold move of getting on one's bike and riding to get the one bonus that most riders would miss by the time it took to get one's route planned past the kkey bonus that has serious time limits.'
There was a bonus like that in '03 too. Leave Buxton, Maine in a hurry and plan later if you wanted to grab the bonus (a newspaper and a massage) at a cigar shop in NH before they closed. It was packed with riders. I was asked by a bystander where I was going next and, over my shoulder because I was busy putting away my stuff, simply said, "West."

But during the rest of the rally it was a rare thing to see other riders. As others have pointed out, knowing where someone else is becomes an advantage to a rider. Having a tracker is a two edged sword. Used properly it helps those who need to know you're okay to follow you. Misused (even inadvertantly in a comment from a keyboard jocky) allows a rider to know they need to grab more bonuses (or not) which they'd otherwise not know until final scoring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dale,

Are you able to say what the approximate average bonus point value is (if you know)? I know the approximate number of points on Leg 1 that Tom Austin said it would take at the start banquet to be in finisher status range and I was just curious about how many bonuses would be needed to get to finisher status (on average).

Lot's of "hedging" in the above as I don't want to give away anything that might lead to disclosure problems.

Thanks,

Lumpy

It is amazing to me the difference a few minutes makes concerning bumping into other riders. In '11 I was getting gas just off an off ramp in Little Rock and saw Perry Karsten come in to get the capitol. I had just been there along with a flock of riders and we had all departed. I had not seen any of them on the interstate so we must have just been a mile or two a part all the way across Arkansas. By the time Perry got there we were all gone. At the finish he mentioned to me he didn't see many other riders for nearly the entire leg so he was really worried he had picked a poor route! I then told him he missed 5 bikes by a few minutes and saw the relief of knowing he wasn't the only one on the route and the WTF look that said, sure wish I would have seen you guys at the same time!

I find it gets lonely out there a couple days into the rally. Bumping into other riders and being able to use my phone while riding does wonders for my motivation. Being able to talk to the other riders via phone is a hoot. There have been times where I've realized that while on the phone with another rider we are traveling opposite directions on the same road and are about to drive right past each other!

162/140 seems to be making *ahem* pretty good time coming down the UP. What knid of road is U.S. 23? Stop and go or reasonably fast?

Re Tobie's latest gallery. In the third picture (a panorama), look at the 'man' in the red jacket. I didn't know Vulcans/Romulans were allowed in the IBR...

Also - does anyone know who is riding the red Norge? You talk about no dealer support if you have a breakdown...

Riders need to average approximately 14,000 points total (including 'gimmie' points like sleep bonus, etc) during Leg One to stay on target to be a Finisher.

You can get a little below that and still be okay, as long as you wick it up a bit more on subsequent legs.

We did have one BMW rookie make a very curious 12,000-ish point route that sent him to Key West and return. So now he must have a *perfect* ride just to be 2000 points behind the curve, and have liken ridden substantially more miles than the others, all for this modest outcome.

A killer few pics from this Bill Shaw album...

Checking out the rainfall around 6:30am, three and half hours before the flag drops:

WC_StartRain.jpg

Lot's gong on in this FJRForum "home week" photo below.... you are watching the crucially important Final Odo/Rider Card procedure.

In the center, Lisa (IronMaiden) Stevens reaches to punch the Rider Card belonging to Perry Karsten, as I walk by barking some obscenity to the Tech Team to pick up the pace. You can see Wendy Crockett underneath the black umbrella, You can also see the black hat/ponytail/yellow jacket of Nancy (MissKitty) Oswald right behind me as she records Wendy's odometer numbers being shouted out by (hidden) John Harrison :

FJRHomeWeek.jpg

Here is an AWESOME shot of the Infamous Higgy Scowl! How can you not love this man?

HiggyScowl.jpg

Getting them outta Dodge and on the road...

WC_StartPoint.jpg

Looking at Bill's picture of Kurt Worden on a 250cc Ninja, hope he has good upper body and neck strength. 11 Days of wind, rain and heat and no windshield to speak of, yes, yes they are crazy ...

Looking at Bill's picture of Kurt Worden on a 250cc Ninja, hope he has good upper body and neck strength. 11 Days of wind, rain and heat and no windshield to speak of, yes, yes they are crazy ...
Kurt's a tough dude - he's done a 50cc and other big rides on that little 250. I think he's gonna do good *thumbsup*

Kurt's a tough dude - he's done a 50cc and other big rides on that little 250. I think he's gonna do good *thumbsup*
+1 on what Justin said. Kurt's proven himself very worthy of an IBR challenge. His LD miles on a Ninja are very impressive indeed!

Keep Going!

Status
Not open for further replies.