2013 Iron Butt Rally - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Phil O'Connor's GW failure, was due to a massive impact on the second or third day of the rally back in Pennsylvania. He rode all the way to Rancho with less than an inch of fork travel. He said it was ride-able, but the pounding was starting to get to him. Since he probably took the southern route, the heat and physical abuse must have gotten just too much for him.

I seem to recall an FJR DNF due to the aftermarket stator failure. Other than that - nope.
dicked-up installation job
sad.png
Completed 3 IBR's

stock GEN II

Dick on---

no "upped"
wink.png

FJR's rock
Ditto on the 3 IBR finishes, however I was only riding in two. Running an Electro Sport stator. FJR`s are bullet proof.

Interested analysis of the Closing Hours by Mark Crane on the IBDone list:

You know what? Routing at home is much easier than routing in a frickin' hotel room. I make better decisions and come up with brilliant plans that couldn't possibly go wrong at home. In a Marriott? Completely different kettle of fish. Scoring is the same way for some reason, dammit...
As last night's Mr. Higdon report outlined, there were two routes capable of yielding big points: Northern, through BC. And Southern, through KW. The two routes are actually fairly close in mileage: 5050 for the North and 5123 for South. Points are fairly close too with 34607 for North and 33931 for South. There are some possible extra points for both routes but I would imagine either route will yield some wild eyed finishers riding past 2-500 point bonii to avoid penalty time or worse.

There is a 5000 point bonus on Vancouver Island but it involves 3-4 hours of ferry time on a leg that 10 minutes is crucial. Probably not doable. If one could manage that, the total for the Northern Route becomes 39607. A real game changer. {Warchild note: think Iggy knows a thing or two about these PNW ferries, and how they *really* operate? }

The big difference between the numbers The Esteemed Mr. Higdon posted up and mine (somewhat less esteemed) is I've included a loop through the San Francisco Bay Area good for 6100 points. Anybody doing the Northern Route would have to do this because they would waste several hours waiting for the bonii in the Seattle area to go live. Might as well make the time count for something and take the easy points.

The Southern route would have to include the bonii in LA totalling some 2000 points but missing out on a time constrained 2300 pointer that's not available until Wednesday morning. I don't imagine we'll be seeing that one on anybody's scoring sheet.

I think either route has places the rider can operate at Higdon 2-3 vein speeds with impunity but the South probably has more of them. A factor in a rider's decision twist it hard is the interest by IBR PtB to have us keep it in our shorts. It is quite easy to monitor a rider's speed by either the bonus sheet or SPOT tracking. I think it's covered in the rule book under II.A.1: "Safety: The Iron Butt Rally is dedicated to the sport of safe, long-distancemotorcycle riding. It does not condone, nor will it tolerate, unsafe activities such asexcessive speed"...and so on. There are other things under II.A that can also be brought to bear upon the miscreant rider...

One thing we can be absolutely sure of: The Southern route will be much hotter and the ride much less entertaining. It would be a difficult decision for me to make whether to go to KW or BC if the KW ride had much more points. I'd probably do it but it wouldn't be a happy day.

We'll know shortly if the "Nut Job" as Mr. White put it (and I agreed with), was really onto something. Looks like he was the only rider to go to KW. His decision may have been influenced by his departure time from RC, though.
If I was capable of doing this type of riding the next to last paragraph above would sum up how I'd make my decision on route. Fatigue is more likely to play a part on this leg then the other two so I would take the route that would fatigue me less. That means avoiding the heat and keeping things interesting. But I'm getting old and haven't bothered to do a SS1K since 1997. So what do I know.

Seems like most riders still on the move. A few catching some zzzz's at the IBMotel. Good luck to all riders that no crap happens tonight.

I'm going to bed.

Before I forget to do this I would like to thank all members of the forum and the resident experts for the insight to the rally thank you all.

Iggy Text Update - not good:

Matt is some 400 miles out with a blown rear shock.
fool.gif

Not just a little blown... the shock is complete toast; he is riding on the rear spring only.

Not a good situation. Says his steering is obviously affected, but he has control of the bike

He says as long as he rides in no worse than gentle interstate sweepers, he's good. But he's done collecting diddly... he is heading directly to the barn at a greatly reduces pace.

I am not worried yet... be he has my attention.
weirdsmiley.gif

fool.gif

Not just a little blown... the shock is complete toast; he is riding on the rear spring only.

Not a good situation. Says his steering is obviously affected, but he has control of the bike

He says as long as he rides in no worse than gentle interstate sweepers, he's good. But he's done collecting diddly... he is heading directly to the barn at a greatly reduces pace.

weirdsmiley.gif

So much for getting any sleep tonight. Looks like I'm going to be up for a while.

Yeah, it has been great to follow the rally once again on this forum. So much knowledge and insight here.

Thanks to everyone for an entertaining 11 days. I wish all the riders still on the move a great finish!

I'll be a lot more productive next week. :)

Sending west coast mojo Iggy's way for a safe and timely arrival at the manger.

Hoping there are no more bike or rider casualties tonight. A well deserved nap lies only a few hours ahead.

No sleeping for rally staff. I am hovering over Iggy and several others that appear distressed... it's crunch time...
sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:

fool.gif

weirdsmiley.gif
That might explain the tire sensation he was having. Could have been the shock giving a warning...maybe

Glad he is close to the barn. Now to get there safely.

400 miles out, that puts him in my neck of the woods. I'll watch spot to make sure the 4 close to me get off to the east OK.

+1 I'm sure Iggy can pull it off. He's got a good head for dealing with adversity.

The main thing he needs to do in this situation is lower his speed, and avoid (to the extent possible) bumps, potholes, and even worse, dips in the road.

If he hits a dip at speed, it could set up a "pogo-stick" harmonic bouncing that could easily strike the wheel well... obviously no good.

Nice and slow, Iggy... just bring the damn bike home.

fool.gif

weirdsmiley.gif
Assuming he is working his way East on I-90 the only boni that he might still have wanted to get are the ones on the PA Turnpike. I wonder if there are enough points in those to make much of a difference. If someone provided him with a replacement shock at the barn I wonder if he would be tempted to go back out instead of checking in?

Status
Not open for further replies.