2013 Iron Butt Rally - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless SPOT is lagging horribly, there are a truckload of bikes out there with no chance of 8 AM arrival.....

This is mike (Wendy's husband) reporting on her account. Wendy is in, scored, and currently showering. (I'm sure she can expound later on the joys of getting your hair unbraided after 11 days.) I can tell you that she had a FANTASTIC time, enjoyed many of the stops for their beauty or interest as it related to the theme, feels that she rode her plan well, only equipment malfunction was a drenched bluetooth dongle this morning (that has healed), and can't believe it's over all ready. Thank you all for the support and well wishes for her and all the riders! Tonight is the cocktail hour at 5 and the banquet at 6. Until then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....oh yeah I almost forgot, her score for leg three is

Matt is in the hotel getting his crap in a sock before scoring. His dad made a surprise visit.
Glad to hear that! And...as you are writing this, I assume that means you are back from what appears from the outside and the first 2 legs to be an AWESOME ride! Way to go!

Joe Leggett

IBA #374
Mr. Wendy has been using her account on the forum to post. But yes, Wendy is here. I saw her getting her paperwork together in the lobby. Yay Wendy!!!!

Matt actually made it in just before 7am EDT...
punk.gif

I still see Josh Mountain as in the Pennsylvania Turnpike, hope his SPOT is just lagging.

Incidentally, it's safe enough now to tell you folks that Josh Mountain was incredible lone ride in Key West on Leg Three... he put in an ENORMOUS ride!!
punk.gif

I am completely bummed about Meese.... sounds like he's basically, okay, but... damnation, I beleve the incident was somewhere north of Richland, VA, but I have no details at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sort of guessed Mountain was the one to try that. I met him breifly on the MD 20/20. That guy can flat out ride! Can't wait to see the final outcome! I know I've already said this but once again a BIG thanks to the board admins for keeping this all going and letting us all be a part of the event!

Fuckin' Meese. So close and yet so far. Twice. I too am bummed about him.
Share that feeling completely.

Interestingly, he too apparently took a southern route, if he crashed near Richmond. The routings, and points will be interesting

Fuckin' Meese. So close and yet so far. Twice. I too am bummed about him.
Share that feeling completely.

Interestingly, he too apparently took a southern route, if he crashed near Richmond. The routings, and points will be interesting
Is he on a BMW? Another site said he is in Fredericksburg VA. There is a BMW shop there.

Edit: I answered my own question. He is on a K1600 GTL.

https://kenmeese.com

Matt actually made it in just before 7am EDT...
punk.gif

I still see Josh Mountain as in the Pennsylvania Turnpike, hope his SPOT is just lagging.

Incidentally, it's safe enough now to tell you folks that Josh Mountain was incredible lone ride in Key West on Leg Three... he put in an ENORMOUS ride!!
punk.gif
I'm *thinkin* the batteries in his SPOT have gone Kaput. Tracking had slowed for him quite a bit, then just dropped off. That last spot is less than an hour away and was time stamped at 05:25am so he's probably in and sleeping. That would be my hope anyway.

Up out here in Ranch Cucamonga CA at 0530 catching up on this 2013 IBR finish. Glad Iggy made it in safely and hope his back pains ease. Sorry to hear of Ken's accident, hope he is not injured badly. A hearty Atta Boy to Eeeksnake, great ride. Kudos to Wendy, she is a real trooper. To all the riders, staff and those using the FJR forum thanks for your comments and questions. This Forum is better than any of our networks or cable sites in reporting these many events. Thanks a million from a very senior FJR Vintage Rider!!

I told Iggy before he departed with Rusty and Paul about 2 weeks ago: "If you fucking splat for doing dumb shit, I will come to your funeral just to piss on your grave".

I meant it, too.
angry01.gif

I brought Iggy into the FJR and Endurance Riding world back in 2005, and have been mentoring him ever since.

I have apparently created a Frankenstein... Iggy has become a monster Endurance Rider, that is clear and obvious. So if that motherfucker bins it, I will of course feel guilty as hell. Pissing on the dumb-ass's grave relieves this guilt.

It's all very zen.
weirdsmiley.gif

What a great week of forum activity. I have really enjoyed the updates and posts from admin and members. Thank you so much. I did get to visit Rancho Cordova briefly and meet a few IBR folks, all welcoming and interesting people.

As I prepare to leave for the BMW rally next week, it feels like I'm just taking a ride in my backyard compared to this. As one of you posted earlier, I'm not riding my FJR to its potential either....

Anxiously awaiting results, and again, many many thanks for timely and interesting IBR coverage along with the witty comments.

WWWobble

I almost feel like the riders... I've slept maybe 1.5 hours in the past 2 days.... up all night chatting with Iggy and tracking him... I'm walking around like a zombie...
weirdsmiley.gif

This has been so awesome, going back to the regular grind is going to suck. I had a ball in Sacramento meeting some of the riders and checking out the bikes.

Kitty- how's my Playa ridding buddy Toni doing?

Oooooookay.... I am hearing some rumor mill stuff from my ferrets in Cranberry...

And my Staff spotwalla page seems to confirm it....

We are likely to see a noteworthy amount of time-barred DNFs this time around. All riders are accounted for, so that's VERY good, but.... time-barred DNF status await a number of riders.
sad.png

Update: at least two of these riders appear to be FJRs.... :( :(

Status
Not open for further replies.