2013 Triumph Trophy SE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FAIL.

Wet weight shown on the Triumph is more than the FJR...and they don't even include the bags in the wet weight.

Weighs more, less power.

FAIL.

Use a proven platform like the FJR...even a GEN 2. :clapping:
Peak HP and torque figures may not tell the whole story. I would like to see the HP and torque curves, and take the thing for a ride myself before passing judgement.

FAIL.

Wet weight shown on the Triumph is more than the FJR...and they don't even include the bags in the wet weight.

Weighs more, less power.

FAIL.

Peak HP and torque figures may not tell the whole story. I would like to see the HP and torque curves, and take the thing for a ride myself before passing judgement.
So, you like the porkiness of the FJR right now? Add side bag weight to that 662 lbs of Triumph wet weight...wonder how much the real wet weight is...and why not include bag weight on a dedicated touring bike? Did they forget? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
And what does it mean about the bags being "dynamic" mounted? Do they feel like they are loose and flopping around back there? :eek:

FAIL.

<snark!>

I was slightly interested in the new Trophy until I saw that it was virtual rip off of BMW K1600 bike. I want to go lighter with less doo-dads to f'up. I'm still thinking both BMW F800GS and Triumph 800XC are both on my short list. The Tenere is still only on my list because of the shaft drive. I don't care if it's an beak faced adventure bike or not. Personally, I'd rather not. I enjoy gazing lustfully at my FJR. None of the adventure bikes have that affect on me.

Meh, I'll just keep a look out for another 04 Gen 1 at a good price and around 25-30K miles on it. Move all my mods over, and bing happy.

Course, this assumes that their will come a day when I'll HAVE TO replace my Gen 1 <panic breathing>

FAIL.

Weighs more, less power.

FAIL.
You know, that was my original feeling after reading the original thread. But now that I have had a few days to think about it, I'm not so sure any more.

It's only 18 lbs heavier than a Gen II FJR (does FJR wet weight include bags?) and has all the shit and then some of the things HALF the peeps say they want around here when we have those silly-assed threads 'what would you change on the FJR?'. I mean, it has some NICE stuff for only gaining 18 lbs. Cruise control, electronically adjustable suspension, TPMS, traction control, INTEGRATED BLUETOOTH AUDIO!

So how many of us really NEED all the power the FJR has? And having ridden a few Triumphs before, that 3 cylinder engine is simply amazing. So it is a bit slower, but has got a LOT of nice touring amenities. Weighs less than a ST1300, and waaay less the the K1600 (703 lbs without sidebags). I don't think it resembles a BMW K16 much at all. I think this bike was targeted to compete directly at the FJR/ST1300/C14 group.

The big question is price...... All those nifty options it comes with can't be cheap.

No, I think this bike could be a HUGE player depending on price. Of course, facts and figures are nice, but we all know a bike can be more (or less) than a sum of it's (printed on paper) parts. I will be EAGERLY awaiting an MCN comparo.

I was slightly interested in the new Trophy until I saw that it was virtual rip off of BMW K1600 bike.
Not even close to the K16 imho. As I said above, to me more of a FJR/ST13/C14 touring version with lots of amenities.

So how many of us really NEED all the power the FJR has?
At times, I use EVERY BIT of what the FJR has to offer (passing)...and don't want any down grade in that dept.

It has a bunch of nice stuff...is MSRP the same as the FJR?
Hey, I love the power too. I always feel there is never enough. But it's not that far off an FJR and has plenty for real-world riding imho. If you need EVERY BIT of the FJR's power when passing than you are cutting it too close. Word. Go buy a C-14!!! :p

Reading comprehension again my friend: MSRP won't be announced for several months. I bet it will more than an FJR.

Man, I'll take some more power for my FJR. I think 200 hp would be just about right, given the weight of the beast. Naturally aspirated, of course. :yahoo:

I got all excited to see the new Trophy. Love Triumphs. Not this one. Looks like a Honda to me. It would have to be really fun to overcome those looks. Like an ugly chick that's great in bed. :p

You know...this Trophy SE is just the kind of bike that griff will be all over. He is a Triumph nut and secretly loves all the gadgets on the BMWs. I predict griff trades in his red Sprint for a Trophy SE sometime in the next year or so. He's still puttering back with airboss from the flaky NW...so he has a few days before he sees this and pretends to rebut this. He done for...he's a sucker for this weak-willed, overweight Trophy.

FAIL.

Weighs more, less power.

FAIL.

So, you like the porkiness of the FJR right now? Add side bag weight to that 662 lbs of Triumph wet weight...wonder how much the real wet weight is...and why not include bag weight on a dedicated touring bike? Did they forget? ;)
If I were that worried about curb weight I would not be riding a FJR in the first place. I don't especially want more weight, but not sure that a bit more will even be noticed.

Even if the Trophy does not outpower the FJR, it may have the grunt where it counts... in the midrange. Is peak HP really what we should be concentrating on here? Any of these big sport tourers could be tuned for a bunch more peak HP, but midrange would suffer.

Speaking of grunt (BTW: I am in the Army so I know something about, ahem... "grunts") I have done a long trip on my Dad's ST1300. It has much less HP than FJR, but it still is a great ride.

I won't be even thinking of looking at the Trophy because I strongly favor low/no payments. But based on the quality, smoothness and fun factor of my Sprint ST, I think the Trophy will be a fine ride.

Interesting!

When I brought up this subject in March https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=144438&st=0&p=947623&fromsearch=1entry947623 I was 'dogpiled' - now there seems to be some interest.

I'll be in the UK in September, maybe I can try one out and report back.

Al.
Haha...that was not a dog pile by any stretch of the imagination. For a look at a real dog pile, search "Pghrodes." That was a proper dog pile from Hell.

Anyway, back on topic, if you ride one, give us a ride report.

Interesting!

When I brought up this subject in March https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=144438&st=0&p=947623&fromsearch=1entry947623 I was 'dogpiled' - now there seems to be some interest.

I'll be in the UK in September, maybe I can try one out and report back.

Al.
Haha...that was not a dog pile by any stretch of the imagination. For a look at a real dog pile, search "Pghrodes." That was a proper dog pile from Hell.

Anyway, back on topic, if you ride one, give us a ride report.
Agreed! That was NOTHING. Now all I read was the first page of that thread, but all you provided was a photo. Now we have a lot more information.

All right then. Poor word choice on my part. :(

I've become very attached to my Gen. 1 and will probably keep it forever - but the Triumph would be an interesting test ride.

Al

I concur with Scoot's statements on the 3-cyl engine. It's a hoot.

My other bike is a 2004 955i Tiger and it is a blast to ride (even if it won't go faster than 120).

It's an absolute blast.

I'm interested in test-riding a Trophy, for sure.

--hellcreep