2014 FJR-ES with police bars

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My question about them is do they do the job they're supposed to do? If they're solidly reinforced at both the top (the top of the loop) as well as the bottom, I'd say yes, but I can't tell from the pic if they are. Does the OP know?
What looks sort of like a reinforcing bar for the top seems to just be resting/sitting/mounted right along the top edge of the plastic fairing. I don't see how that could work. Without the top backed up somehow, they look like they could fold in in a crash.
Here is my .02, I have these "ugly" bars (front and rear) on my 2011, and having it dropped it on it's left side once, I can ASSURE you they absolutely work! Not as much as a scuff or scratch on the fairing, mirrors, or bags. I am sure many people out there (HD riders) think OUR bikes are absolutely POS ugly poor-excuse-for a motorcycle because we are not "real" riders. As far as the derogatory comments about heaters and sub-woofers....look at most of sport-touring bikes...they are FULL of gadgets and farkles that "real" riders consider an insult to the "sport/life/etc" such as wearing helmets, rain coats, XM radios, BT intercom helmets, jackets, long sleeves, shoes other than flip flops, spot lights, LED lights, auxiliary lighting, over-size windshields, cameras, cushy aftermarket seats, tank bags....etc etc etc

My point is that despite what some may think about how they look (I own them...and I didnt' care for the look at first!) they are a functional piece of hardware that DOES what it's supposed to do. For me, it serves other purposes, such a mounting spot for some of the other "ugly" accessories such as LED driving lights, go-pro camera, LED auxiliary lights (I'm such a safety wooosie!). And ultimately, no matter what any of us install on a bike, we share the common bond of riding, and the freedom it brings, regardless of the color of our bike or choice of accessories. I for one, have never, and will never give a rat's **s what anyone thinks of my bike or what I choose to do to it.

My reason for rambling is that I can't stand when the critical comments come from people as soon as someone shares something on a forum, not asking for criticism but simply trying to share something they saw, found, purchased, etc....because someone out there MAY be considering getting that accessory and it's nice to see them on a actual bike.

So, in closing. From someone that has these guards. Decide if their looks (according to some) outweigh the benefits FOR YOU, and know that they will do what they are supposed to do.

I didn't intend to direct my comments at the person that I quoted, because I do agree that they (as well as ANYTHING man made) will not stand to a severe enough crash. My frustration comes from the collective critical comments, not just in this thread, or forum, but all over.
I think the Canyon Cages on the 2013 look great. The stone gray and black - kind of has that whole "Raider" vibe going on!

The 2014 looks awesome too - this is a shot of Mike Cataldo's bike - the best looking 2014 I've seen - IMO! I even posted this on the K1600 site trying to drum up some support for Corbin Smugglers! I hope Mike doesn't bust me posting pics of his bike all over the inter-web
rolleyes.gif

12-5-20149-59-14PM_zps06dd2226.png

I need to see some shots of the 2015 w/ Cages - Redfish are you in?

I had similar bars on my GEN 2 initially. My plan was to have some good lighting on them but I eventually sold on here and went to the canyon cages front and rear. To each their own!

I also have an old BMW RT ex police bike that has identical mounts. They definitely served a purpose on a service bike as mine are somewhat scratched and dented. Good mounting points for lights but I haven't decided which ones yet.

This is what I have mounted on mine: (considering installing a Stebel Nautilus horn on on the right side if I cant fit it in the stock horn location)

Left side, LED (amber) visibility lights, LR4 LED driving lights, go pro hero4 silver

Right side: LED (amber) visibility lights, LR4 LED driving lights

Last edited by a moderator:
How does the shadow from the faring affect the LR4's mounted that far back?

I notice that you have them aimed pretty far outwards... Do you get any overlap in the center with that mounting?

How does the shadow from the faring affect the LR4's mounted that far back?
I notice that you have them aimed pretty far outwards... Do you get any overlap in the center with that mounting?
Initially, I had them mounted on the inside bar, closer to the fairing, and I did get quite a bit of shadow. When I moved them outwards, the shadow was almost completely gone (at least not noticeable).

I get a very slight overlap, but the overall "beam" is pretty nice and wide. My primary reason for the lights was visibility, and usually ride with them at a low-med setting. I don't ride at night very much, and when I do, it's not on the kind of roads that you would need every last lumen, they provide more than ample light for my purposes.

I am getting ready to install a Stebel Nautilus horn, and I am hoping to figure out if I can use the factory horn "trip" wire to tap into the blue wire of the LR4s to make them go to full intensity when the horn is activated, instead of using the H/B trip wire.

I am getting ready to install a Stebel Nautilus horn, and I am hoping to figure out if I can use the factory horn "trip" wire to tap into the blue wire of the LR4s to make them go to full intensity when the horn is activated, instead of using the H/B trip wire.
The Skene Dimmer is designed specifically to do this, and much more. Worth checking out.

Thanks TXFJR. I'm thinking about coming straight out and down - basically just cutting off the top of the "ear" and also having a bar come back from the lower point like the canyon cages. Hard to know if that will protect anything.