2014 FJR Transmission/Engine replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...you have a trailer
smile.png
A trailer behind a Prius?

REALLY?!?

I want to learn how to do more than change parts.
Easy-peasy.

Step 1. Take shit apart.

Step 2. Try to put it back together. Figure it out as you go.

Mr. Geek, sir. Obviously, you have never shared a tech session with Pants. Here is my "12 Step Program".

Step 1: Think about it.

Step 2: Oh shit, I have no idea what I am doing.

Step 3: However, no one else is gonna do it, and it's got to be done, so I'm going to give it a shot.

Step 4: Study YouTube, forums, ask everybody I can think of for advice, order parts, stock up on beer.

Step 5: With a full cell phone battery, take pictures of every single part that I remove

Step 6: Holy CRAP!! Where in the heck does this go?

Step 7: Drink another beer. Beer is good and a good beer buzz makes everything better.

Step 8: Sleep on it. Tomorrow, if the hangover isn't that bad, I'll figure it out.

Step 9: Call FYB. He's the voice of reason, and he will ALWAYS tell me how to fix it.

Step 10: Take FYB's advice - ah yes.... that's how this shit goes.

Step 11: Finish up the job, hey that wasn't too bad. It's supposed to take an hour and it took my 2 days, but heh - the bike still runs, right?

Step 12: Never again, man. NEVER.

smile.png

I know that the first step is admitting you have a problem. (sigh)….

Update.

Well, getting ready to pull the trigger and buying a used engine off of eBay. Unfortunately, my bike is the 1300es. Per the dealer, the engine swap also needs to be the es engine as well. The wiring harness and bits are specific to the engine. All of the ones I have been looking at are the 1300a. So, Im back to trying to find the correct engine configuration. Any input on where to find whole engines besides eBay?

I am surprised that the ES engine differs in any significant way!! If so, can't you swap out the necessary bits from the old engine?

Can't remember who, but someone here replaced his 'A' engine with an 'ES' engine. Obvious differences were the gear change cam cylinder and the gear indicator and neutral sensors. I suspect the clutch has a slightly different arrangement of its retaining rings. May be some ES-specific sensors. Possibly some other small changes that would have to be made.

His transplant was successful.

Edit - Please ignore, see posts below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't remember who, but someone here replaced his 'A' engine with an 'ES' engine. Obvious differences were the gear change cam cylinder and the gear indicator and neutral sensors. I suspect the clutch has a slightly different arrangement of its retaining rings. May be some ES-specific sensors. Possibly some other small changes that would have to be made.
His transplant was successful.
ES here refers to the Electronic Suspension, not the old North American "AE" (auto clutch). No "AE" available for the 2014 model year!

Edit: The AE engine swap was JamesK

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/161693-converting-gen-2-ae-to-a-engine-is-it-possible/?hl=%2B%2Bjapan+%2B%2Bengine

I was not aware that the ES had a different clutch than the A. Mac - by chance are you confusing the ES with the old "AE" model?

Whoops!

Sorry, I obviously can still get confused by the nomenclature differences between the two sides of the pond! Your ES is known as the AE here, and, if you could have it, your AE would be our (still available) AS. I must have done a mental double-translation.

My bad. I shall go back to sleep.

Engine purchase update!

Thank you everyone for your advice. After speaking with the dealer, they confirmed that the 1300a will engine will work just fine in a 1300es configuration. I was able to purchase the 2014 engine off of eBay with 14,000 miles for only $1200. Its on its way from Oregon with no shipping or tax. I will keep everyone informed on the progress of the engine swap in the following weeks.

Thanks again for all of your support.

Michael.

Congratulations on the engine procurement. I didn't think there could be any issue on ES vs A. Getting the dealer shop to do the swap or are you going to have a go at it?

Im probably going to have a shop do it. I would love to take off work for a week and dedicate time and do it myself, but I just dont have the time. I have two teenage boys and weekends are so busy. It would take me months to complete a swap. Plus Im inpatient and want my bike back!

Latest posts