2014 Moonshine Lunch Run

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
State & local police have always been good about greeting our out of state visitors to Southern Illinois.

I travel a lot of interstate miles in my "retirement job" and I have seen more traffic enforcement on the interstates since the state raised the speed limit to 70 MPH.

I'm thinking the customary 10 over may not work any longer.

We - yes, we did a 2up ride - just finished our first LD ride, the SS1K, from Santa Rosa, NM to Casey, IL last night. More accurately, at 5:20am this morning, after being on the road for almost 20 hours. It was an experience, but one that we will not repeat. We prefer stopping whenever and wherever we want to when traveling - hence the longer than average total travel time - and having the time constraint makes the SS less enjoyable. Oh, we were stored by a sheriff in Kansas and just given a warning. Very nice officer who does but have a vendetta against motorcycle riders. Many cops around Indy seem to not be of similar mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
The weather forecast looks GREAT! (Other than possible T-storms in OKC on Sunday, which migh mean a couple hours of warm rain on the first leg home)

This will be my first MLR. 2020 miles - perfect excuse for a SS2k.

Congrats Allen!

Now I am thinking.... "We" was used many times when voicing an opinion about your SS1000. I am telling you from 1 experience with my wife doing a SS, you made it through TWICE the stress and agrivation riding 2 up than a solo ride. Ride well done! And tell your other half Ride well done also!

BUTT.... Try one on your own before you close the book on LD rides. Less stress, less fatigue and more fun!

Congrats Allen!Now I am thinking.... "We" was used many times when voicing an opinion about your SS1000. I am telling you from 1 experience with my wife doing a SS, you made it through TWICE the stress and agrivation riding 2 up than a solo ride. Ride well done! And tell your other half Ride well done also!

BUTT.... Try one on your own before you close the book on LD rides. Less stress, less fatigue and more fun!
I don't think I would have made this same trip without her...I would have given up. That said, I/we will do more LD rides, just not another SS!

Rolling out at 0' dark thirty tomorrow morning for the Curt Gran SS1K, finish at Moonshine HQ in Casey.

See Y'all there.

Completed the Moonshine Curt Gran Memorial SS1K Wednesday night at 9:21 pm CDT. Temperature at start, 03:45 CDT, was 35F, 50's and 60's most of the day and evening. First time I have ever used heated gear, very nice.

Learned a few things:

1. Food. Cereal bars are not food! Not sure what they are, but the FDA should take a look at 'em. Hell, Homeland Security should look at 'em. After realizing I was not going to achieve a planned BBG pace, I stopped at a Mickey D's for a plain fish sandwich(no tartar sauce please), and a soda. So I'm riding down the road with my soda in the drink cup, and open up the sandwich box to find and ample serving of tartar sauce on it. Rats! Tartar sauce on the crotch of your black riding pants is not a good look, hope it doesn't leave a stain.

2. I believe I experienced a Spot2 battery failure. Spotwalla didn't get any messages for about 200 miles. Once I changed out the batteries, all those missing location messages filled in, so at least they queue up in the device or somewhere. What is disappointing is that the little green happy lights continue to blink on the device and you really have no idea that no messages are received on the other end, unless someone calls. Not good. Something to watch.

3. I Lost a lot of time in construction zones on I40 between Memphis and Little Rock. This was doubly troublesome since the required route was an out and back. The only memorable image I have in my head from this ride is a long line of 18 wheelers ahead of me, not moving. I'm going to experiment with locating construction zones when creating my routes and bypassing them instead of just going through them and hoping for the best.

4. No problem with the stock seat. It works well for me.

5. I carry too much crap. And it's not organized well. I'll work on that.

The weather was great, and the ride, my first ss1k, was very enjoyable. I really like the idea of riding from before dawn in the morning to well past dusk at night. I was enjoying it so much that I continued riding the 120 miles home instead of finding a motel. A full day of riding a fantastic motorcycle.

I had a goal to maintain BBG pace for this ride, but as I sat on the bike staring at the long line of trucks in AR, I knew any chance of doing that had faded. I'll be trying this again, maybe during a trip to CO or wherever. Next time I'll do it right.

MLRss1kpics002_zps6a4136c6.jpg

MLRss1kpics001_zps08f3df9e.jpg

SPOT 2 will blink RED when it is unable to send a signal. This could be caused by weak batteries or being under a roof (ie solid gas station overhang)

If the batteries are dead it will not send a signal and the signal will be lost if the batteries are dead.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Congrats on your ride! That was a solid ride especially with the cold weather. My stops always seem to increase in length with colder temps.

Congrats on the SS1K snackbauer. Maintaining a BBG pace is a bitch, especially figuring in construction delays.

Great job!

--G

I got to stand in line to get through Memphis too. Seems like Memphis is always under construction, but it's going to be nice if they ever get it done.

The SS1K gained 23 new members for the IBA. The new riders gained sore butts, tired wrist, and huge smiles.

Snackbauer - congrats on the SS1k and thanks for the report & analysis. You learn more each time, and they get more fun.

I agree, tartar sauce on the groinland might not become a new fashion trend!

Thanks guys, but like I told my wife, "I'll be sitting on my ass for 17 hours or so, how hard can that be?" She agreed with something like "You've certainly done that before!".

After that bit of motivation, I actually did some training over the winter. Being 66 years of age you can't take anything for granted. I lost 15 pounds doing 30 minutes of cardio work daily alternating between a recumbent exercise bike and an elliptical trainer, some light weights mainly for forearm and wrist strength, and a 20 minute Pilates routine for the abs.

I plan to do as many Tour of Honor rides as possible this summer and I'd really like to bag that BBG. We'll see.

First off, I want to tell everyone that completed this years Curt Gran Memorial SS1K rid, congratulations!

I rode the Granada, MS route the previous Sat. and thought it would be a little problematic during the week days, butt you`re the "Worlds Toughest Riders" so you adapt
punk.gif
Here is a suggestion you might keep in mind. The instructions for this ride stated; (paraphrasing) Acquire a start receipt from Peoria, Il. ; and a receipt from Granada, MS. and a finish receipt from Casey, IL.

The instructions did not say what route you were required to follow as long as you had the correct receipts and had the required 1000 miles at the finish. When you encountered the heavy construction zones on the way to Granada, I would (and did) locate an alternate route on the return trip. FYI

First time riders, WELCOME to the IBA and the start of more insanity.

On a side note, only 3251 Moonburgers served in 5 &1/2 hrs.

Did the SS1K from Orlando to Indy to Casey. What a ride! No traffic or real road problems. Left Orlando at 1:07 PM Thursday and was having breakfast on the southwest side of Indy with my buddy Neal at 8:30 AM Friday. We made the final leg over to Casey and I got checked in about 10:30 local time.

If you never have been to Moonshine, you are missing one of the premier motorcycle gatherings ever. Don't hesitate, make plans to attend next year right now. Great people and good riding to get there.

I'll be back!

Thanks to all of the folks that worked so very hard to put on this event. Superb job.

This year's Moonshine had unusually nice weather (except for the wind in the afternoon). That made for a huge crowd, but unfortunately the Sport-Touring and LD riders were pushed aside by thousands of cruisers/posers.

Congrats to Allen_C and the others who did their SS1K rides in conjunction with Moonshine!

That made for a huge crowd, but unfortunately the Sport-Touring and LD riders were pushed aside by thousands of cruisers/posers.
!
There was talk about that very thing, There MAY be a post Moonshine for LDRiders only in the future? stay tuned here for news>

Yep, lots of weekend riders. I overheard several comments like, "is this all this is?" and "I rode 2 hours for this?"

On the video, at 1;40 there are grain bins which are barely visible on the right side of the road (north). Those bins are 1/2 mile away.

At 1;50, those trees (south)are a little more than 1/4 mile. At 2:40 the machine sheds on the left are almost a 1/2 mile.

This video was taken after all the bikes were there. starting to thin out :)