2014 Requires Throttle/Extra Fuel to Start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a 2013A I owned the OEM battery died after 4 month on a Saturday in Lake Havasu city. Got one from a boat shop for 80 bucks installed and never had another battery issue. Sold the bike and got a 2015SE in November 2014 and have never looked at the battery yet. Always on a tender.

I have not had a recurrence since the new battery was installed, despite multiple sub freezing starts. Looks like iggy's seasonal reminder a while back and subsequent recommendations were spot on. None of my bikes has ever seen a tender. Ride 'em too much normally. Thanks for your insight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today's bikes and rider tech are more demanding on batteries than ever before. And are more easily affected by a battery not at peak performance as well, from what I've seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matches my symptoms earlier this year, Had to hold a bit of throttle, bike would crank for 3 or 4 seconds before it fired. It also cranked better in neutral rather than in gear and clutched. With new battery last month, fires instantly with no throttle added.