2015 FJR: dealer claims just over 500Kms (300 miles) - fair price?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyclepath

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, a local dealer here in western Canuckistan is advertising a grey, 2015 FJR with mileage so low its barely through break-in yet. I'm certain this must be a dealer demo, but wanted to ask those that may know here, what a fair price may be - given it is now a couple years past.

From the posted pics on the dealer site, there appears to be no cosmetic damage.

Side bags included, but no tail trunk.

Of course they didn't elaborate on A series or ES options (?).

Would appreciate your input, thanks!

check if the forks are silver or black on the bottom ES are black

new 15s were under 10k us, but you're up there heh, not sure how pricing compares.

Canuckistan LOL

born in Calgary myself, roots in Acadian.

I'm in a similar situation to you here in the states. I pulled the trigger on a 2015A with about 130 miles (230ish km?) on it last week. No idea why the previous owner traded it in, and I was/am scared to death the something will happen and will cost me big bucks since the warranty has expired. I paid $10,319 out the door (which means they covered taxes, title, and first year registration). If had to pay those fees out of pocket the price would have been about $11,500.

Cycle path: hello from Southern Ontario. Go onto Auto Trader and punch in the 2015 specs and see what prices at showing.

I have a 2015 not a ES and paid $15,000 in the spring of 2016. The bike your looking at is two years old and used!! so I would think $12,000 or better yet $11,500 would be o.k..

Thanks for jumping in and responding everyone. Yes, stateside, I expected a barely used 2015 may be priced around $10K (~$13K CDN).

Hey Joel: thanks for the tip on ES = black forks. The pics here reveal this one has black forks and thus must be the ES model.

And to K/W Motoman: yes, I could dig into our Canada-wide Auto Trader magazine, but wanted to first glean some good info from other seasoned folks here. BTW, I grew up in the farmland just southwest of you there, so great to hear from you now too!

coolsmiley02.gif

I am in agreement with K/W Motoman adding maybe an additional $800-$900 for the ES. (You need to confirm this - they look very different if you know what you are looking for)

Edit: If you can get the price you want from a Yamaha dealer, I would push to get a full year of warranty from them. Unfortunately, the YES plan in Canada is WAY more expensive than in the USA so you may not want to go that route (unless they can make you an offer you can't refuse).

This may be an unrealistic target but I think it is a reasonable place to start. The dealer might just laugh.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP

Having just thru something similar, I suggest you confirm via VIN just what is the status of bike in Yamaha's database.

If its an unregistered bike, and the mileage was put on with a dealer plate, then it may have the factory warranty.

If ES, you might still consider YES, you dont have to purchase 5 yrs, 3 yrs is less $$.

Good luck

-Steve

Thanks guys for the reminder about VIN build code etc - I was only curious, in the event I end up getting packaged out (laid off) from my current job.

Counter-intuitive I know (who buys a new bike right after they lost their job??), but I wanted to be prepared if it happens some time in the next coupla months.

Thanks for jumping in and responding everyone. Yes, stateside, I expected a barely used 2015 may be priced around $10K (~$13K CDN).
Hey Joel: thanks for the tip on ES = black forks. The pics here reveal this one has black forks and thus must be the ES model.

And to K/W Motoman: yes, I could dig into our Canada-wide Auto Trader magazine, but wanted to first glean some good info from other seasoned folks here. BTW, I grew up in the farmland just southwest of you there, so great to hear from you now too!

coolsmiley02.gif
I can confirm with certainty that at least some USA dealers are happy to move an out of warranty but pristine 2015 ES with all the bags the little plastic rectangles and the extra lock cylinder for $10,000 USD

About two years ago I bought a 2104 "Dealer Demo" with 639 miles on the meter. Dealer completed the 600 mile service and I bought the bike for 12500 out the door with a one year warranty and a 4 year YES thrown in. Everything is negotiable. Good luck with the purchase.

I purchased my 2015A in February of this year. Yamaha was unloading in crate inventory to larger dealers to move them at a very good price. I bought mine for $9,999. It was uncrated and built that day and had zero miles when I picked it up.

There were quite a few dealers on Autotrader listing that same price then, I don't see anything like that now.

About two years ago I bought a 2104 "Dealer Demo" with 639 miles on the meter. Dealer completed the 600 mile service and I bought the bike for 12500 out the door with a one year warranty and a 4 year YES thrown in. Everything is negotiable. Good luck with the purchase.
In 2104 what size engine is the FJR? How much does it weigh?

Probably the biggest question is what color is it?

107 years before your bike becomes non-current!! That's a solid buy.

smile.png

In 2104 what size engine is the FJR? How much does it weigh?

Probably the biggest question is what color is it?

107 years before your bike becomes non-current!! That's a solid buy.

smile.png
;) hehheheh

Last edited by a moderator: