2016 Big Money Rally - It's on!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up the best BMR bonus EVER on the way back from San Diego last week. (Thank you, Tyler! Where do you get these ideas?) Only one other rider has claimed this bonus.

An abandoned church in Hachita, NM. Got there at dusk. Surreal. Especially the after-sunset, 2-hour ride to El Paso along NM Highway 9.

7c519c1b-e769-4dfe-9c29-29669f28b80f_zpsojajj3zl.jpg

Unfortunately, I have almost no time remaining for BMR runs except the TN center bonus on May 1. Ironically, my new girlfriend wants to show off her macho-moto-boyfriend to all her women biker buddies over a Memorial Day weekend in the southern Appalachians.

Pray for me, friends, that I might uphold the dignity, honor, and reputation of all FJR riders during a long weekend with a half-dozen biker chicks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up the best BMR bonus EVER on the way back from San Diego last week. (Thank you, Tyler! Where do you get these ideas?) Only one other rider has claimed this bonus.
An abandoned church in Hachita, NM. Got there at dusk. Surreal. Especially the after-sunset, 2-hour ride to El Paso along NM Highway 9.
Yes, Highway 9. A lot of this, along with a steady stream of border patrol trucks.

IMG_0065%5B1%5D.jpg

Unfortunately, I have almost no time remaining for BMR runs except the TN center bonus on May 1. Ironically, my new girlfriend wants to show off her macho-moto-boyfriend to all her women biker buddies over a Memorial Day weekend in the southern Appalachians.

Pray for me, friends, that I might uphold the dignity, honor, and reputation of all FJR riders during a long weekend with a half-dozen biker chicks.
I just try to find creative ways to get you out in the middle of nowhere to see things that most folks don't see via roads most folks don't take... ;)

Bummer we won't get to see you in Vegas for the banquet... but I will pray for your soul. :lol:

Yes, until Memorial Day. Is that OK with you?
greedy.gif
(<---- Big Money Hud)

{Seriously, y'all, this thing is the BEST. So much fun, because you go to weird places on little bitty roads, ride your FJR up on the sidewalk and take a photo of it against all manner of things .... Yippee!}

<edit, 5 mins later> We only extend it to Memorial Day so all those living in the North American Tundra Regions can get a little moto-action.

Never heard of it before.
tongue.png

Yea it OK, but only if there is Big Money to make it "Memoriable". You know - such as Gold, Unobtainium, Googolplex..
tongue.png
wink.png

I went today for a 400 mile ride to get some more points, and the first 2 stops did not have all the required signs. Ended up shutting the GPS off and just rode till I was lost and then turned it back on to get home. This is what the BMR does to you, gets you out and in to places you normally would not see. Great day and 0 points earned!

Well, SOMEBODY rode to Kirkland, Tennessee, last Sunday and found .... nobody. Well, almost nobody. A nice guy on a 15-year-old BMW R850R, who chatted with me for 45 minutes until we decided no one else was coming to the party. (Sorry, RenoJohn; too many people put too much faith in weather forecasts. I got rained on for 5 minutes during an 11-hour ride.)

We took our 10 points each and headed home. Funky little gas station -- with yummy pickled hot dogs -- in the middle of Tennessee Walking Horse country:

Kirkland%20TN_zpslyvioino.jpg

Got one more ride planned; a half-day with Aunt Kelly as pillion. We've tried two-up a couple of times, but nothing over 90 minutes so far. You want to intensify your relationship with somebody? Put them on the back of your bike.

Oh yeah: Thank you, BMR "staff" and scorers! This thing is Tons'O'Fun!

Not at 1.75 points per bonus; that's a LOT of riding with only a few weeks remaining, and I am not retired .... like some people I know.

The gas station didn't have bona-fide SlimJims, so I tested a couple of pickled hot dogs instead. Not bad, but the handwritten labels on the ziplock baggies make me think they will be hard to find elsewhere.
nuke.gif

I had to spend some at home time with the wife. She was beginning to wonder if I was married to the bike. I will be riding to Greensboro,Ga this Friday and then head up to Suches for a ride on Saturday. I will be camping in Greensboro and my wife will come up on Saturday...this will be a nice Mother's Day. I might get 5 points but it will be a great ride.

If any one wants to stop in Suches, let me know. I will stop for coffee at TWO on Saturday. As far as the BMR, it has been a lot of fun. One day we locals should meet up again.

Would love to go but it is at the end of the month and I have to be at work to close out the month. That is part of the reason why I missed out on Tennessee. I always have to be around the area on the end of month.

Work always gets in the way of riding!

Derekw posted: .... Work always gets in the way of riding!
Yeah, I'm with you on that one, brother. Those retired guys are starting to really annoy me.

I'm eking my way to a Gold. My last big ride for points was several weeks ago so I've been trying to get whatever WD and WH are available with an occasional short outing to find some dams with appropriate signage..... I think i can get there without any long trips but am looking at the Nevada adds as a last choice option if needed over Memorial Day weekend.

Gotta admit I'm running out of gas after 4+ months and too many other things (track days, off road riding) are taking up my weekend plans...

To anybody with influence on RenoJohn: Please announce BMRx 2016. I screwed up SO badly last year by failing to enter ..... could there be a possibility to redeem myself?

To anybody with influence on RenoJohn: Please announce BMRx 2016. I screwed up SO badly last year by failing to enter ..... could there be a possibility to redeem myself?
Chatted a bit with RJ at the banquet. End of July or September, he is currently favoring end of July for BMRx

As for big money prizes.... I won a set of Rok Straps and a laptop, y'all shoulda come out :)