2up and questions on power delivery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zed88

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

A little backround on myself before jumping to questions. I'm 25, started street riding at 21 and currently have a fully kitted out suzuki 650 vstrom that sees mostly backroad use, commuting, and longish 2up camping tours. I've put 62k miles on it in the past few years and had a absolute blast . No crashes (other than a gravel slideout when I started riding), and its been years since I've scared myself in a corner. I attribute alot of that to the bike's low HP/weight combo. Everything I've read about the FJR says its a great sport touring bike, and comfortable for passengers. I don't really want a st1300 as I'm 25 and want to save the super comfy bikes for later in life. Plus I don't think many bikes will get more comfy than the vstrom (longest 2up day was about 800 miles) without getting much heavier.

So what I'm wondering about the FJR, is when its loaded down to tour and 2up does it really beg to be ridden at 80+ constantly? I know it easily has the power, but does it always want to seem to go faster? Does the front end want to come up easily? Do the tires slip easily in wet conditions (planning on running pilot road 2's)? The vstrom doesnt have that problem as its starting to die at 80mph with bags/passenger, and lacks the power for the other items.. I don't want a bike that begs to be jetted everywhere, but I sure would like the power and comfort on all the straight roads we have to ride here in the midwest. The passing power and ability to zip out of situations would be appreciated too.

I'm keeping the vstrom for bumpy/crappy pavement, commuting and tight twisty work. More deals gap type riding I think. The FJR is for more long haul, straight and high speed sweepers/etc. I remember riding with a friend on a c14 and I always pushed through the tight twisties faster than he did with less work on the vstrom. So I want to customize each bike to a riding style.

It seems like the FJR would be at its element in the midwest where we don't have alot of elevation changes or tight corners. What do you guys think? Does it handle decently with passengers in the corners?

The point of all this was to basically ask if the bike needs to be ridden super fast everywhere (80+ gps indicated), and see how dangerous the power delivery might be for a rider used to less. I keep saying I want a FJR with 115 HP until I'm used to it :) My wife and I love motorcycling, and corner carving, but we always like leaving a wide margin for safety too. Thanks for all your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
This bike is awesome and has the power to do almost whatever you want. I have ridden the vmax since the 80's and it is for sure a faster bike drag racing but the FJR is very passenger friendly, handles like a dream and yes it will go slower with comfort for the passenger and the rider. Low end torque is what I am most impressed with on a 4cylinder.

Sure it likes to run 80+ .

No the front end doesn't come up easily (unwanted).

I ride with a group of HD guys and putt around @ 55-65 and it handles

great there too.

It only goes as fast as YOU want it to.

Welcome.

I ride about 90% of the time two. I do many long rides and look for as many twisty roads as I can find. The bike is great at all speeds. Riding two up you will want to upgrade the suspension (GP Suspension does a great job) I did the front springs and valves and put a Penske on the rear. You may want to put a power comander 3 on it to cure the lean condition that all street bikes come from the factory with to pass emissions.

I have done a few 5-6,000 mile trips on the bike two up and one of those trips towing a bushtec trailer loaded with camping gear. Works great.

IMG_3847.jpg

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the FJR and the handling. They are fairly comfortable, but like any bike you need to set it up properly for the speeds and conditions you will be riding.

enjoy!

Myself, I don't use anywhere near as much throttle 2-up as I do by myself. The power is a handy reserve, though, if traffic throws things at you that you don't care for too much.

I've only had a couple of long day trips with the SO and no overnighters, so I've not been 2-up with luggage. The fact that I carry a complete camera bag in one side case, rain gear in the other, and a soft-side cooler with cold water in the top case, along with a couple towels and some fesh shirts and socks, may count as "luggage," though. :)

I've never been close to picking up the front while 2-up, although I've had several little power pulls while riding alone.

As for speed, I ride the same road speed 2-up as alone, generally 10 over posted. I don't feel any need for excessive speed, but the performance the bike has with its power, the ability to snick through traffic and away from turns or lights, puts me (us) well away from surrounding traffic without any effort at all. But trudging over the miles, 10 over posted.

2200 mile, two-up trip this summer on my Gen I. Plenty of power for passing. Cuts some good corners, too, depending on what you and your passenger are comfortable with.

With all due respect to the wee-strom, which is a great bike, I'd be surprised if it could match an FJR's cornering abilities in the hands of an able rider.

I, too, endorse the GP Suspension LINK setup, particularly if you're going to ride two-up. They are real professionals, making significant improvements to an already good bike.

The FJR's power is convenient and exhilarating, but isn't a requirement to have fun. With a good set of tires and the right suspension/adjustments, you can enjoy some very good SPORT-touring riding. :thumbsup:

You may find that the FJR gets slower the more you ride it. My wife used to be afraid at 50 mph now she falls asleep riding in a snow storm at 80 mph.

At your age you will get used to the ease in which you can be going fast.

One time while cruising at 115 mph, we were passed by an Audi and 4 FJRs doing 130 mph. They must have thought we were going too slow. :blink: :blink:

Be nice to your pillion and try to be as smooth as you can, that way they will get to your destination with you and happy.

To add to the good answers you have already gotten: This is not a hooligan bike. It is a sport-tourer with an emphasis on sport.

It will not lift the front wheel, or break the rear tire free unless you are either trying to do it, or riding it pretty hard. It handles well in the rain, and won't break the wheels loose their either, unless you push it into doing it. Basically, the right hand controls what the bike will do.

When you first begin riding the bike, it will feel like it wants to go 100 everywhere. That's just because you will be used to a lower powered 650 Vstrom and are now dealing with a more powerful 1300. That sensation will decrease as you ride the bike, but the urge is always there.

Riding two up, the bike is awesome. It will easily do 130+ with a passenger on the back, but will just as easily go any speed limit posted. YOU have to make it go faster, and it is not hard to control.

You should ride one...You'll be impressed.

It seems to me that while you describe your riding history, most of your questions center on the "power" of the FJR. So, it seems to me that if you are wondering if it is too much power for you, go test ride one. The power is there, when YOU decide to use it. It is one competent and well made bike. There are known issues with the throttle tube's rate of progression when opening the throttle. Too high of a "rate of change". The solution is to switch out the tube for one that progresses in a lesser manner. A small point, but one you should know about to be sure as it related to power delivery.

You mention waiting untill later in life to get a "bike like that". A couple of things. One, the bike is not for any specific age group. You may see "older" riders riding, but that usually relates to the younger buyers wanting the GSXR's they see on TV and the issue of cost. The FJR is not cheap. Later in life most of us have more disposable income, so we buy more expensive bikes.

A second point (and last)...

While I am only 46, I can tell you that if you want "to wait until later" - later may never come. Life has a funny way of taking you places that you never would have dreamed of for yourself. For better or worse... (In my case I was diagnosed with Young Onset Parkinson's Disease. I was already riding a Honda XR650L dual sport and have been riding since I was a kid, but I bought the FJR last month and am riding while I can 'till I can't anymore. Just ask anyone older, and they'll tell you life can throw you some curves!).

Bottom line, the FJR is a great bike and sounds like a good choice for you for the type of riding you do. AND when you get done, you'll feel better than if you used another bike to do the trip. If you can trust yourself with the power, then try one. If you don't like it, there are plenty of people that would want to buy a FJR.

I hope this helps. I meant to answer this in the best way possible and to be honest. Power. Yeah! But oh so much more.....

I came from the Wee to the FJR. If you ride the FJR off RPM's, wind noise, etc that your used to on the Wee... 100 on the FJR will feel like 70 on the Wee, with the exception there is a lot more throttle on tap with the FJR. You will adjust to this (hopefully before you see flashing lights in your rear view.)

You will love the ability to use the throttle to quickly remove yourself from an unwanted situation at highway speed.

Lots of good info already posted, which I won't repeat.

I will add that I've had the front end come up a little unintentionally on a few occasions with the wife on the back. This was when nailing the throttle to pass. She's about 220 with gear and I have the factory trunk mounted rearward about 2 inches on a custom mount. That setup will allow easier wheelie-ing and especially with the stock rear shock that really doesn't have enough preload capability. After having GP suspension respring/valve the front and install a Ohlins rear, I haven't had any unintentional pop ups. I have no doubt that I could still easily wheelie, but having less squat on the rear does lessen that tendency.

In many situations I actually prefer the FJR two-up with a light load. My GF is roughly 145 lbs. and fairly tall at 5'8" (you can ask her for exact weight if YOU want to!).

Her nerve towers over most passengers and her good sense is dwarfed by most. She will ride the FJR at whatever pace I choose, but does complain about the wind noise and helmet buffeting with sustained riding above triple digits. I frequently lift the front wheel (slightly) while exiting tight switchback corners (confirmed by the ABS warning light). Traction is rarely an issue when two-up, much less often IMHO than when solo. The extra HP of the FJR is more manageable with a bigger payload, but you will quickly yearn for some suspension changes to retain excellent ground clearance.

IMO the FJR is the absolute best compromise between sport performance and Gold Wing comfort available today for two-up situations.

My wife and I have done some small trips and some longer ones through some mean city traffic. NYC, Providence, Boston. I do not consider Hartford or New Haven mean city traffic unless at rush hour on the Q bridge. We have gone to the Vineyard in 4.5 hours of traveling from our home in East Hartford (that includes 1 hour on the ferry from Woods Hole). Never a complaint or issue from her even at 85mph on 195 through Mass into RI. Buy it you will love it. A lot of us bought sight unseen. Just ordered it on faith. Boy where we good.

First of all, another welcome to you.

FWIW, I rode an SV650 for three years (that was my total riding experience, also) before switching to an FJR. Same engine as the 'Strom. For me, the FJR's power did not take long to get used to. It really is "user friendly" in its delivery. Very right-wrist-dependent, if you will. The bike is very responsive but you are in control, not the bike.

While most of my riding is solo, I do have several thousand miles of two-up experience (and am still learning how best to do it, especially the slow speed stuff - and I do not mean less than 80 mph, I mean less than 5 mph) and I have never experienced any handling problems from the machine, under any circumstances, at any speed from 5 mph to triple digits.....except that I had one pillion who thought that repositioning her seat on the seat in the middle of a turn was a good idea. It sounds as if stuff like this will not be an issue for you, though.

Good luck.

Put it this way 2up pulling a camper loaded for ten days of camping this bike has no problems with mountains or cornering even with the trailer behind. Father-inlaw's Harley can't keep up with it, always running him over when we come to a large hill running 70 or 80.

First of all, there are some members of this (one or two have already posted on this thread) Forum that can smoothly and safely ride two up on the FJR thru twisties and sweepers and everything else, faster than most can ride single on their best days. I do not count myself among them.

My wife, 58 yrs old, 5'8" and 130 lbs, is barely noticeable to me. She does have the advantage of having ridden her own bikes off road for over 25 years, so knows riding. She chooses not to ride on highways so is happy on the back. She rarely complains when hard parts make scraping sounds so that is a good thing.

I have ridden street and dirt since the mid '60s, on many bikes, and consider this to be the best all around ride I have had. It will not touch the power of my '04 Hayabusa or smoothly snake thru corners like my '02 Interceptor, but it does all things very well and has earned my love affair with it. It will run all day at 130+ two up with gear, it will handle very nicely in corners with upgraded suspension, and with practice, you can kick a lot of sport bike ass when motivated.

It does need upgraded suspension (mine from GP Suspension), a better seat and FZ1 mirrors, along with a few other items but not many bikes will do as well at so many things.

IMHO, of course...

Just expounding on one point...I came from a long line of sport bikes, mostly 1000's, and the first time I rode the FJR I just ran through the gears merging on the highway and what felt like 75 on my FZ1 turned out to be 90+ on the FJR. It's sneaky fast cause it's smooth and has lots of wind protection. Keep an eye on the speedo till you get used to it. The Gen 2's don't wheelie very easy due the longer wheelbase, higher gearing and more weight..sigh.