3rd Gen Windshield Tuning

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True. I wish the Yamaha screen was about 1-2" taller. I had recently tried tilting my screen up using spacers to gain a little height but didn't notice any real improvement in reducing noise.
https://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-x-creen-add-on-variable-windscreen-spoiler-blade-bolt-on-11144
thumbsup.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it isn't noise so much as head buffeting that I feel is improved. Some of that is due to me being 6'2", sitting on a Russell, with HeliBar bridge riser. It's very dependent on you and your position.
I just noticed that you tried tilting the shield "up" meaning making the angle even steeper. That would seem to be counterproductive to reducing turbulence to me. A steep windshield creates more turbulence off the top.
I had hoped it would kick the wind that last little bit over my helmet.

True. I wish the Yamaha screen was about 1-2" taller. I had recently tried tilting my screen up using spacers to gain a little height but didn't notice any real improvement in reducing noise.
https://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-x-creen-add-on-variable-windscreen-spoiler-blade-bolt-on-11144
thumbsup.gif
Have you tried this? If so, on which windshield and which version MRA? Thx

thumbsup.gif
I have the OEM Touring windshield. From Twisted Throttle, added the MRA Touring X-screen. This model is their touring screen that also comes with their "clamp-on" adapter. Can be mounted either bolt on or clamp on.

thumbsup.gif
I have the OEM Touring windshield. From Twisted Throttle, added the MRA Touring X-screen. This model is their touring screen that also comes with their "clamp-on" adapter. Can be mounted either bolt on or clamp on.
Okay, thanks!

I'm sure everyone is different. I'm 5'8 and with just the Touring screen, it was too noisy. With the spoiler, it was much much better. However, even though the spoiler is adjustable, I found the only position that worked for me is in the picture: all the way flat. So, I paid for all the adjustability for nothing :)

I'm sure everyone is different. I'm 5'8 and with just the Touring screen, it was too noisy. With the spoiler, it was much much better. However, even though the spoiler is adjustable, I found the only position that worked for me is in the picture: all the way flat. So, I paid for all the adjustability for nothing :)
That's the same conclusion this bloke came to:

I used to ride sans windshield back in the day; Thailand, Michigan, Texas, and SoCal, but the first time I rode with a windshield I couldn't believe what an improved ride it was, especially in adverse conditions. I do get a bit of buffeting with my Gen II screen all the way up and have been considering some kind of tuning scheme. This was just what was needed. I love this forum!

P.S. I found the whistle in the shield on this forum, too, and am planning a two-pronged attack on the 'shield very soon, maybe before the throttle tube mod.

I used to ride sans windshield back in the day; Thailand, Michigan, Texas, and SoCal, but the first time I rode with a windshield I couldn't believe what an improved ride it was, especially in adverse conditions. I do get a bit of buffeting with my Gen II screen all the way up and have been considering some kind of tuning scheme. This was just what was needed. I love this forum!P.S. I found the whistle in the shield on this forum, too, and am planning a two-pronged attack on the 'shield very soon, maybe before the throttle tube mod.
Glad to hear it's working out for you.

I'm still running with the same 10mm spacers and haven't felt a need or desire to change that angle. But I have installed a home-made Lame-i-nar Lip to the Yamaha Touring shield for cold weather riding, since we seem to be able to ride so late this year in New England (knock on wood)

014.jpg

I used to ride sans windshield back in the day; Thailand, Michigan, Texas, and SoCal, but the first time I rode with a windshield I couldn't believe what an improved ride it was, especially in adverse conditions. I do get a bit of buffeting with my Gen II screen all the way up and have been considering some kind of tuning scheme. This was just what was needed. I love this forum!P.S. I found the whistle in the shield on this forum, too, and am planning a two-pronged attack on the 'shield very soon, maybe before the throttle tube mod.
Your 06 has the capability of adding a couple spacers (stacked washers work fine) to the windshield mechanism that will tip the shield back a little. 2008 and newer Gen II's changed the mechanism and spacers are no longer an option. Super easy to install (if you glue the washers together to make a spacer) and they do help with the buffeting of the stock shield.

Search for skyway spacer on this forum or use Google. Skyway was a vendor that made spacers for this purpose, but is no longer in business.

I was still looking for windshield nirvana (as if that can ever be found) when I bought a stock width Cee Bailey shield with an extra 2 inches of height in the form of their reverse countour (flip). That shield made a world of difference in reducing turbulence and has been my go to shield for summer use for almost 8 years now.

I bought the spacers months ago, finally got around to fooling with them tonight.

I'm running a stock Yamaha windscreen with a Laminar Lip affixed.

When the windscreen is all the way down the wind hits me in/slightly above the chest and the laminar lip throws the bugs directly onto my helmet visor, Additionally, I find it quite noisy.

I'm 5'10" tall with a 31" Inseam, lots of height between the bottom of my ass and the top of my head.

After reading this thread several times I installed the spacers exactly opposite of Fred W. I put the 10 mm spacers, cut the same way, on the top bolts of the mount to set the windscreen more vertical.

Test rode tonight, with the windscreen all the way down the air is flowing almost over my head, with the windscreen raised about 2" I have a quiet bubble of air and there is adequate airflow into the top vent of my helmet.

Houston, we have a winner! Will test on the way to and from CFR.

As pointed out in previous posts, body size/type etc has a lot to do with how the air flow works on any individual motorcycle. What works for you may or may not work for me or anyone else.

I hated the windshield fully up without any spacers as it was too close to vertical and created a huge turbulent vacuum behind it and off the top. I can't imagine wanting it to be any more vertical than it was, but to each their own. Glad it works for you.

Out of curiosity. did you try running it lowered by the spacers? I am considerably taller than you, but with mine lowered, when I run the shield all the way up the wind blast off the top still hits my helmet at about eye level, but the blast is relatively smooth air, not turbulent. When I lower it all the way I get a nice smooth blast at about the nipples, which will fill the open neck of my jacket and gives me Ram Air cooling through my jacket. Plus my head is far above any turbulence. Of course if you are riding on the highway through the truck wash, any air that hits you will be (disgustingly) turbulent, unless you are hiding behind a barn door windshield.

I hated the windshield fully up without any spacers as it was too close to vertical and created a huge turbulent vacuum behind it and off the top. I can't imagine wanting it to be any more vertical than it was, but to each their own. Glad it works for you.
Out of curiosity. did you try running it lowered by the spacers? I am considerably taller than you, but with mine lowered, when I run the shield all the way up the wind blast off the top still hits my helmet at about eye level, but the blast is relatively smooth air, not turbulent. When I lower it all the way I get a nice smooth blast at about the nipples, which will fill the open neck of my jacket and gives me Ram Air cooling through my jacket. Plus my head is far above any turbulence. Of course if you are riding on the highway through the truck wash, any air that hits you will be (disgustingly) turbulent, unless you are hiding behind a barn door windshield.

Fred, when I ran it down without spacers I had smooth air that hit me directly in the face neck area.

When I run it down with the spacers in the upper holes making the windshield more vertical I still get pretty clean air in my face/neck area but it is best with the windshield up about two inches.

I think some of the differences between our two installations is the Laminar Lip. I'm going to try running both with and without the lip once today's thunderstorms have passed by.

IMG_20160525_094138541_zpsrge8mbay.jpg

IMG_20160525_094202292_zpsmg7ipjkn.jpg

Fred, I always enjoy your posts. Thorough, informative and in good spirit! This one was especially of interest to me because I've been trying to duplicate my 07 with a Rifle experience onto my new '15. Over the last 5k miles I've tried the OEM, V Stream Sport, C Bailey Sport and the Yamaha Touring Screen. All with and without your spacers. Tha Yamaha Touring was the best by far with the spacers.... until I did this.

I put the OEM screen back on the bike with the spacers. Then I put on the X Screen, dual adjustable with the clamp on kit. Like your laminar lip but you can hold it out farther (bigger gap) from the windshield. This lets in more air in between and further reduces turbulence. It raises the height about 2" the way I have it and I'm still looking way over, no buffeting, gentle air on helmet vents. Close the top vents, no noise. (Shoei GT Air). I also tried the same setup without the spacers but got some buffeting up and not so much cooling air down. The X Screen with the spacers on the OEM is the perfect combination for me. (5'10", 32" inseam, tested at 80mph on slab).

The mount for the windscreen carrier on the Gen2 is quite different. Mine is a 2006. Adding spacers to the Gen3 carrier looks really simple. I couldn't find a simple way to tilt the Gen2 screen and I couldn't find a thread on that topic. I thought you alluded to a tilt project for the Gen1/Gen2 windscreens. Is there a thread describing such a project?

No thread for Gen2's. Maybe because I've never owned one?
wink.png

I do know that Rifle managed to engineer a tilting mechanism of some sort or other for the 2nd Gens, though never having owned one of that vintage I never investigated it to any degree

Perhaps just knowing that, (i.e.. that Rifle did something, not the latter) will be helpful to you?

I'm not saying I can't do it nor am I surprised that an after-market company already has done it. I'm just saying it looks much more complicated than a modification to the Gen3 carrier. There's a lot of hardware that has to come off and a fairly complicated pair of adapters that must be fabricated to make it tilt adjustable.

Edit: And it looks that way from the photos on the Rifle website.